System 7 Mac Quadra Program Mystery

Discuss System 1 to System 7, OS 8, OS 9.
ohmsmega

System 7 Mac Quadra Program Mystery

Post by ohmsmega »

Hello back in school the TEACHERS had these Quadra 950s (garden variety vanilla ice cream colored plastic that turns yellow over time deal) or something like that in the USA, circa 1994-1995 and they had a IM program that teachers could talk to each other or the central office could talk to them vice versa. The system would play a soft "DINNNNNG" sound each time a message was sent/received. Uh this program could even run a marquee scrolling thing DURING third party screensavers installed it said something like this...

AN IMPORTANT MESSAGE NEEDS YOUR ATTENTION!
or
AN URGENT MESSAGE REQUIRES YOUR ATTENTION!

Something along those lines. The more you ignored it, the FASTER it would scroll. If you got more than one, it would do that too. It would jump from the top to the bottom of the screen and scroll right to left. I have tried Google, NOTHING. Here I don't know what program it would be Appletalk or AEX or whatever it is. It could have even been a custom built budget deal thingy. Youtube no luck and the folks that worked in the central office from that era are all gone. Even Lineback's site did not have an answer. This has bugged me for a few days.

What is this program? I'd love to see it again. Image of screensaver displaying message generated by said mystery program :o Thanks for looking.

Last edited by ohmsmega on Mon Mar 01, 2021 10:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.

johndoe123

Re: System 7 Mac Quadra Program Mystery

Post by johndoe123 »

Maybe getting in contact with one of your old teachers would be useful.
PC: 2020 MacBook Pro
CPU: M1
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Storage: 512GB

ohmsmega

Re: System 7 Mac Quadra Program Mystery

Post by ohmsmega »

johndoe123 wrote:
Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:13 pm
Maybe getting in contact with one of your old teachers would be useful.
They are all retired sadly.... Or died. Or no one remembers or that I am crazy for being able to remember back that far. Or no one wants to talk because of COVID... 8-)