Backporting Explorer from Windows 8 Build 7955???

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 and newer.
ohmsmega

Backporting Explorer from Windows 8 Build 7955???

Post by ohmsmega »

Lurked for many years finally registered... Wiki and FTP are amazing! I have Neptune as well. Finally got 95 stuff to work
in VPC after all the help thanks guys!

OK I found a copy of Win 8 M3 build 7955 that I made back in 2011 while cleaning and it had the Ribbon in WE with the
old style 7/Vista Icons. Is it Possible AT ALL, before trying Better Explorer again (which crashed all the time) to backport
this shell into Windows 7 SP1 and place it over the top of the current one. :o It looked so darn good I thought, if they can backport stuff to previous
Windowses can this be done? Dependency Walker? Hex editors? If MS can send IE4/WE4 to W95/ NT from 98 back in the day
can it be done again? I liked it enough I want to keep it. But I hate Windows 10 do not want to use it at this time.
Thanks for checking for me! I searched for this first and then google.... :mrgreen:

winnt32
FTP Access

Re: Backporting Explorer from Windows 8 Build 7955???

Post by winnt32 »

Please don't do this. It's not worth your time.

ohmsmega

Post by ohmsmega »

winnt32 wrote:
Tue Feb 23, 2021 10:26 pm
Please don't do this. It's not worth your time.
How come? Time consuming? Hard? Protections? Just curious. Are you saying it's possible but just super hard? Is the code for this Explorer part of Better Explorer?
I might just stick with BE. I actually dove into this old prototype. RedPill didn't work all the way and I had to move back the BIOS clock or the install got stuck at 97% for me. I could not remember how to remove the timebomb so I just wiped my drive out and came back to 7UX86. But the memories though.... ;) Summer of 2011, IT WAS my main OS I got it to work with everything on my old Acer. :OD

Just thought I'd ask. Was a good proto wish they 'd kept the look (7989 was a favorite too but I didn't get to DL that one) I hate where it went after that.
Had fun cleaning out that closet. Three DIFFERENT discs of Windows 95 fount as well. One bloody A, two bloody Bs. Or no bloody C discs unfortunately. Thanks to the site I was able to ID all three. Man that was a lot of info for W95. I bet all my stuff is already in the database too... :cry: I have the IE4 install disc. "Internet the way you want it"...

shaglonux
FTP Access

Post by shaglonux »

I guess it's a time consuming project, and it may be unsuccessful at the end, but sounds interesting for me.

It's not impossible I guess, I've seen that Windows Movie Maker from ME was backported to Windows 98 with copying some newer, dependent DLL files (with hex editing the main executable like SHELL32.DLL -> SHELL32.NEW), or the same with EXPLORER.EXE, and some other system components where many of the system files just have overwritten with the newer ones from Windows ME in 98.

The problems you may face, that as I know the EXPLORER.EXE in Windows 8.x contains some parts of the Metro/UWP platform. I don't know how much this part is advanced in this exact build, but this can prevent you from the success. Another thing is, that overwriting some DLL files with newer version in the Windows directory is may not be adequate or sufficient, because many of the required files nowadays may be at the WinSxS folder, and I'm not sure that this list/folder is expandable at all.

Also notice, if you will have success to replace the shell (which includes the Windows Explorer), you will probably lose the Start Menu too, and you'll have the Start Screen from this build instead.