Possible bad file on the FTP

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
MM-DD-YY

Possible bad file on the FTP

Post by MM-DD-YY »

I downloaded the following from the FTP server (twice):
(Abandonedware) Software Development Kits/PC/Microsoft Win32 SDK (for Windows NT 3.1)
and the files Disc01.mdf & Disc01.mds found in the media_mdf folder produce an error when opened/viewed in ISOBuster software. The error message is:
No files systems and/or files found.
No file-system nor files and folders could be found.

The software I used is:
FileZilla 3.5.3
WinRAR 6
ISOBuster 4

Additional info: The downloaded file size matched the server file size.

Voyambar

Re: Possible bad file on the FTP

Post by Voyambar »

Well its name is ISOBuster. I'm not aware of its software, never heard of it before but it may only support ISO's. You'll want PowerISO to then convert it to an ISO to use it in a VM or for whatever you wanted to use it for. If you want to burn it, PowerISO supports direct MDF to media burning.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

You use Alcohol 120% to mount the MDS/MDF files. Which you then configure the virtual machine to use the virtual drive.
PowerISO: Well if someone else likes the method then find one that suits you.

And yes, most downloads of the free version force bundle adware.
And yes, there have been countless debates over the forum's use of that format.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

MM-DD-YY

Post by MM-DD-YY »

Thank you for the replies. ISOBuster supports Alcohol 120 mdf/mds files and I've used this software on several FTP downloads that utilized mdf & mds files in the past years. Prior to my post I double checked a few older FTP downloads which contained mdf & mds files to ensure that my ISOBuster software wasn't to blame.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

ISObuster is basically actually one of the best tools for editing/extracting/rebuilding/... CD ROM images, especially for weirder formats (BlindWrite, DiscJuggler, etc) and for discs that contain multiple sessions.

I have had ISObuster choke on images before, and sometimes even when mounted with A120% they could not be accessed by Windows. But when I tried on a Windows 9x VM, they worked perfectly fine, even though they were still mounted with A120% on the host.

Turns out that some CD ROMs have mastering errors in their ISO filesystem which Windows 9x ignores, but Windows XP and newer choke on.

So if you find a CD that doesn't work when mounted, just try and access it from within a Win9x or DOS VM
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

MM-DD-YY

Post by MM-DD-YY »

Darkstar wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 2:36 am
ISObuster is basically actually one of the best tools for editing/extracting/rebuilding/... CD ROM images, especially for weirder formats (BlindWrite, DiscJuggler, etc) and for discs that contain multiple sessions.

I have had ISObuster choke on images before, and sometimes even when mounted with A120% they could not be accessed by Windows. But when I tried on a Windows 9x VM, they worked perfectly fine, even though they were still mounted with A120% on the host.

Turns out that some CD ROMs have mastering errors in their ISO filesystem which Windows 9x ignores, but Windows XP and newer choke on.

So if you find a CD that doesn't work when mounted, just try and access it from within a Win9x or DOS VM
Thank you for the reply. It could very well be just a finicky mdf image so I'll explore other options.