Personal Project: Upgrading through Pre-Reset builds of Longhorn on physical hardware.

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.

Would you be interested in me doing this with other Windows Betas?

Poll ended at Mon Mar 01, 2021 4:42 am

Yes
82%
No
18%

Total votes: 11

Xeno

Personal Project: Upgrading through Pre-Reset builds of Longhorn on physical hardware.

Post by Xeno »

After watching some Longhorn upgrade videos on YouTube in early Jan, I decided to try upgrading through Longhorn Pre-Reset builds on my Dell Dimension 3100c (I plan to edit down the upgrade video I recorded in the coming weeks, so pardon no screenshots right away) I do hope to revisit this when I become more knowledgeable in Longhorn itself. I will work on this post over the next few days, fixing any issues.

Specs:
CPU: Intel Pentium 4 531
RAM: 1.00GB Dual-Channel DDR2 @ 265MH
Motherboard: Dell Inc. 0DD332 (Microprocessor)
Graphics: Intel 82915G/GV/910GL Express Chipset Family (Dell)
HDD: 74GB Western Digital WDC WD800JD-75MSA3 (SATA)
Optical: SONY CDRWDVD CRX310EE
Audio: SigmaTel High Definition Audio CODEC

Green = No Issues
Orange = Minor issues that don't prevent upgrading
Black = Blocked from future upgrades.
Red = Major issues that prevent upgrading

Windows XP > Longhorn 3683
Upgrading to 3683 was almost flawless. The other issue that was encountered was when copying files error during the first part of setup.

This error did not occur when attempting the upgrading in VMWare Workstation 16 (Likely down to what I had installed on the Dell?). Interestingly, the file name always starts with the letter 'a' followed by a random string of 7 alphanumerical characters. Thankfully, the fix was to use the expand command on any file in the 'C:\$WIN_NT$~BT' folder to fill in for the missing file. (In the case of my upgrade, I just used CDFS.SY_)
You must ensure this file exists in the correct location, else when you reboot, setup will fail, saying that the file does not exist.

Longhorn 3683 > Longhorn 3706/3713/3718
Copying over files in the first part of setup is successful, but after rebooting there is a boot loop.

Longhorn 3683 > Longhorn 4001
No issues upgrading to Build 4001. Made a new user account in OOBE, had to transfer files over from the 'Owner' account made in XP.
Note!: Thanks to some research done by yourepicfailure, this technically isn't a true upgrade, as only Program Files and the Users folder stay where they are, the Windows folder doesn't get upgraded. They dubbed it an improper 'clean install'

Longhorn 4001 > Longhorn 4002
Launching setup from both the root of the drive and i386, both cause a 'catastrophic failure' and rolled back the changes before the first reboot.

Longhorn 4001 > Longhorn 4005
No issues upgrading to Build 4005.

Longhorn 4005 > Longhorn 4008
Marking this as a success as the upgrade itself was successful. However, the theme service fails to launch, attempting to start the service causes "Error 127: The specified procedure could not be found"

Longhorn 4008 > Longhorn 4011
No issues upgrading to Build 4011. Before logging in after OOBE, it told me my password will expire in 6 days.

Longhorn 4011 > Longhorn 4015
After the first reboot. I was greeted with a 0x6B BSOD, preventing me from upgrading to 4015.

Longhorn 4011 > Longhorn 4017
No issues upgrading to Build 4017. Again, was told that my password would expire in 7 days.

Longhorn 4020 > Longhorn 4029
The only minor issue to occur during the upgrade was when logging in after OOBE. To fix, login with the Administrator account and reset the main account's password as one is applied during the upgrade.

Longhorn 4029 > Longhorn 4030
No issues upgrading to Build 4030

Longhorn 4030 > Longhorn 4031
No issues upgrading to Build 4031

Longhorn 4031 > Longhorn 4032
No issues upgrading to Build 4032

Longhorn 4032 > Longhorn 4033 (main)
No issues upgrading to Build 4033 (main)

Longhorn 4033 (main) > Longhorn 4038/4039/4040/4042
The first part of setup is a success. However, upon first reboot "windows\system32\config\system" cannot be found.

Longhorn 4033 (main) > Longhorn 4050/4051
The leaked builds are PDC releases are unable to be upgraded to.

Longhorn 4033 (main) > Longhorn 4053 (1)
ImageImage

An unknown error occurred after the first reboot. I then restarted the machine and then produced the WinSetup.dll error.

Here's the desktop of 4053 with no USB support.

Setup then restarted and placed me into Windows. However, the drivers for the mouse and keyboard were not installed.
Windows PE works flawlessly though with the mouse and keyboard working.

Longhorn 4033 (main) > Longhorn 4074
Upgrades to 4074 are disabled.

Longhorn 4033 (main) > Longhorn 4093
Upgrade stopped by "Upgrades between componentized and non componentized installations are not allowed"

Updates:
(16/02/21) - I've ordered a PS/2 Keyboard so I will be retrying 4053 in the upcoming 2 weeks. (1) + Fixing lots of small grammar mistakes.
(17/02/21) - Added video + More grammar fixes. Added in screenshots for 4053
(18/02/21) - 4053 PE works fine.
(19/02/21) - Added poll to see if people want me to do this with other betas. I forgot this PC doesn't have PS/2 so rip that idea.
(03/03/21) - 4001 doesn't get fully upgraded. But we'll roll with it.
Last edited by Xeno on Wed Mar 03, 2021 11:38 pm, edited 19 times in total.

anonymous74

Re: Personal Project: Upgrading through Pre-Reset builds of Longhorn on physical hardware.

Post by anonymous74 »

Great work! Looking forward to the screenshots!
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

Xeno

Re: Personal Project: Upgrading through Pre-Reset builds of Longhorn on physical hardware.

Post by Xeno »

Thanks! I'll likely do the screenshots after I render the video as that shows it off a bit better.

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

You're welcome, can't wait to watch the video!
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

Xeno

Post by Xeno »

Update. Video is now live! Not the best quality, but it's all good.

lubuntut

Post by lubuntut »

Good job, man :)

Xeno

Post by Xeno »

Thanks @Lubuntut , I'm hoping that when my PS/2 keyboard comes in, I am able to get 4053 working Turns out the machine doesn't have ps/2. that was a massive derp on my side.

My current plan while I wait for my CDs and Floppy to come in is to do Win Vista > 7. I've already begun and have had a few fun little bugs. Sadly it might not be as many builds as Longhorn Pre-Reset

lubuntut

Post by lubuntut »

Windows 7 builds are emptier than Longhorn builds but it might be good you can use this builds: 6608, 6801, 6936, 6956, 7000, 7100

Testing

Post by Testing »

You can also try to upgrade the post-rest builds of longhorn

Xeno

Post by Xeno »

@lubuntut I'm slowly working on the Windows 7 video now. It's more impressive than that.

@Testing. It's difficult to that. I'll write the forum post sometime in mid-march depending on how my Win7 project goes