MS DOS 6.22 on old disks

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
trenoparathyra95

MS DOS 6.22 on old disks

Post by trenoparathyra95 »

Good evening I found you and bought 40 euros these two things here is the ms dos 6.22 on two floppy disks with the box of authentic originals: :

https://i.imgur.com/ufquX94.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/lIKgLRD.jpg

https://i.imgur.com/Djhn9GP.png

https://i.imgur.com/q3wgLA2.png

My issue to me is that yes they are read by an old computer that I still have with a floppy drive (drive floppy) which left them and I replaced it with another "new" where I had from a second own computer. So he reads them but when I go to image them with winimage I get such an error: Disk Error On track 0 head 0 error in reading. Because I'm not as old as I want to show that I'm thinking:
1) It may have broken down over time and maybe that's why they don't work?
2) Maybe they could not stand the so cold days and nights of winter and their reading disc broke?
3) The files are read, it shows them on my computer, but I can not do them either copy paste paste classically or with the winimage program to get them to convert them to digital. So my 40 euros were lost?

stashakk

Re: MS DOS 6.22 on old disks

Post by stashakk »

Alot of possible reasons as to why this isn't working. Drive could be bad. Would need to check BIOS to see if drive is detected/seated. Then can verify in DOS or cmd that drive is working. Then you can see if you can format a blank floppy with winimage to see if its the diskettes that are the issue. There are ways to work around bad sectors. I can see that your write protect switch is off so hopefully you or someone else did not overwrite the diskette. Perhaps got blanked.

But instead of going through all the work and effort perhaps can save you some time. You see, this release already exists in the archive:

https://www.betaarchive.com/database/vi ... 5174f2d006

Admin can confirm this but since you can only upload unique releases, this may not be approved. Guidelines say release has to be unique.

In the future if you want to extract floppy images, you don't need to go mess with old machines and internal SCSI drive. There are cheap usb floppy drives you can buy to mount the disk in a modern windows or linux environment. I recommend Tendak or Esynic. Don't recommend Chuanganzhou.

Sorry for the trouble. Can PM me; happy to help if I can

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

The thing is a step-up, not a base or upgrade install.

You need to have 6.00, 6.20 or 6.21 installed, and it will patch the files for 6.22 operation. You simply can not unpack the files from the diskettes as you can with a base install.

cleeve555

Post by cleeve555 »

6.22 was an upgrade pack, I recall you can also upgrade from 5.0?

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

The files shown in the OP are the stepup, a low-cost version for 6.00 to 6.21 to upgrade to 6.22. It's a stepup, not an upgrade.

Fanta Shokata

Post by Fanta Shokata »

cleeve555 wrote:
Wed Feb 03, 2021 8:55 am
6.22 was an upgrade pack, I recall you can also upgrade from 5.0?
DOS 6.22 can be easily upgraded from DOS 2.11 and later.
We stand with Ukraine

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

Yes it can, but the pictures you show are not upgrade pack, but a stepup pack. Basically a bugfix for the nasty evils in 6.0, 6.2, 6.21.

Fanta Shokata

Post by Fanta Shokata »

os2fan2 wrote:
Wed Feb 10, 2021 11:13 am
Yes it can, but the pictures you show are not upgrade pack, but a stepup pack. Basically a bugfix for the nasty evils in 6.0, 6.2, 6.21.
DOS 6.0 was buggy mainly because of DoubleSpace, 6.20 fixed most DoubleSpace bugs and introduced ScanDisk.
We stand with Ukraine

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

There's a lot more to it than that.

In essence, smartdrv had bugs in it that microsoft were not going to fix until after 1993, and that by keeping the stuff out of IBM's hands, they could release a DOS that IBM were not allowed to repackage. It didn't work.

1, They lost a copyright for DBLSPACE, so they replaced it with DRVSPACE.

2, Anyone in their right mind who wanted compression, went out and got Stacker for OS/2 and DOS.

3. DOS 7 was the finest dos to come out, but it's too late in the picture to matter.

4, IBM followed suit with a stepup from 610 to 630. Microsoft also released a 6.20 stepup, that introduced scandisk and some of the worst fixes.