Windows Longhorn server build 4028 installation problem

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Testing

Windows Longhorn server build 4028 installation problem

Post by Testing »

I try to install windows longhorn server build 4028 on vmware workstation 16, i boot up the cd and it appear 'starting Windows XP Preinstallation Environment' , then , the virtual machine give an error:

'A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state. If this fault had occurred outside of a virtual machine, it would have caused the physical machine to restart. The shutdown state can be reached by incorrectly configuring the virtual machine, a bug in the guest operating system, or a problem in VMware Workstation.

Click OK to restart the virtual machine or Cancel to power off the virtual machine.'

Then I tried to set the vmware hardware compatibility to workstation 5.x, the setup up stuck in "Setup is inspecting your computer's hardware configuration'

I also try to upgrade from windows server 2003 , but it also fail.

After that , i tried to install it on Virtualbox, again , the virtual machine said that there was a critical error while running the virtual machine and the virtual machine execution had been stopped while 'starting Windows XP Preinstallation Environment' like the issue on Vmware.

Can anyone have a solution of this problem ?

Fanta Shokata

Re: Windows Longhorn server build 4028 installation problem

Post by Fanta Shokata »

Try upgrading from Windows 2000 Server or setting BIOS date back to 1st July of 2003.
We stand with Ukraine

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Simply put, modern VMWare versions past like 12 are not kind to these betas.
I would have to suggest either downgrading your VMWare version or using a different software.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

In the virtual machine setup wizard, choose the advanced option, and then downgrade the virtual machine version to 12 or below. This effectively makes it so that the virtual machine runs with all the settings and configuration as if it was running on that older version of workstation, which should fix the problem that you are having. You should also try to use the "Longhorn Packet". The Longhorn Packet is a tool that really cleans up the longhorn installers to fix many issues and broken WinPEs to make for a cleaner installation. Here is a link to that: viewtopic.php?t=14327. It is quite simple to use and there is a tutorial in the thread linked. Hope this helps!
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

stashakk

Post by stashakk »

If anonymous74's suggestion doesn't work try to run the installation CD on Bochs emulator and if it fails try with some debug options enabled. Could give you some better insight into what the issue is. Or it could work just fine. You can PM me if you need to

Testing

Post by Testing »

stashakk wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 12:16 am
If anonymous74's suggestion doesn't work try to run the installation CD on Bochs emulator and if it fails try with some debug options enabled. Could give you some better insight into what the issue is. Or it could work just fine. You can PM me if you need to
Actually , i think you can try to use virtual PC to install that build. I tried to boot into the setup through virtual pc and everything is fine.If you are using Windows 10, you won't able to install virtual pc on it. However, you can install a virtual machine that are windows 7 or below, and install virtual pc in that virtual machine , and install this build in virtual pc. Although it will decrease the experience of testing that build , this is the only method that i found which can install this build.

lubuntut

Post by lubuntut »

I recommend VirtualBox for Longhorn 4028

Testing

Post by Testing »

lubuntut wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:10 am
But I tried to install it on Virtualbox and unable to boot it up , do you know how to fix the problem?

stashakk

Post by stashakk »

@lubuntut it would be nice to help OP by telling them how.
@Testing I see you mentioned VMs inside VMs.. yea...
Anyway we need to know your VirtualBox settings to help so put a list here or someone who got this to work can tell you their settings. Otherwise hard to tell. I haven't done this but I would guess you would need to set specific vga settings, use only one core, 32-bit mode, probably if its early longhorn need to set type to Windows Server 2003 not XP, etc. If you're on latest versions of VirtualBox I don't know if it still supports passthrough CDROM mode anymore so you may have had to make an .iso and if so make sure that process went correctly. Like I said I haven't done this before so...

anonymous74

Post by anonymous74 »

Successfully installed in vmware workstation player 15. It should work fine in workstation pro as well, I just don't have access to pro right now. If it doesn't work the same on Workstation 16, set the hardware compatibility to version 15.
I used the Longhorn Packet tool to get around this build's broken WinPE. Make sure to use "Easy Mode" so that it partitions the disk for you, as that may be broken in the default setup.
You can download it here: viewtopic.php?t=14327
Here are the settings I used:
Workstation compatibility: 15x
RAM: 384MB
15GB Hard Drive.
I installed with the OS set to XP Pro, but it boots fine set to Server 2003, and should install fine as well.
All other settings were left default (disk type, etc.)
The graphics are a little laggy, but other than that it works fine and can be scaled to most resolutions.
MAKE SURE TO SET THE BIOS DATE CORRECTLY OR IT WON'T GET PAST THE LOGIN SCREEN!
Hope this helps!
I collect old laptops and mess with old software.

Check out my website for vintage computer reference information, info on my collection, and more!

My projects are currently on indefinite hiatus due to lack of motivation. See my past ones here: https://www.betaarchive.com/wiki/index. ... nonymous74

Alphis

Post by Alphis »

i use vmware 12 for most betas. 14 and newer have changes that will cause those builds to either bsod or the vm will give that error, compatibility settings dont really fix it.
fatal crash intercepted
-says x360

lubuntut

Post by lubuntut »

Testing wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 2:16 pm
lubuntut wrote:
Fri Jan 22, 2021 11:10 am
But I tried to install it on Virtualbox and unable to boot it up , do you know how to fix the problem?
If you give less RAM, OS can load. I give 4GB RAM for 4028 first time but it crashes while installation and when I give 1GB RAM and It's worked for me
btw you need set BİOS date for login (01-07-2003)