Meaning of "(Downloads)" in abandonware categories on FTP

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
xmsxmsxm

Meaning of "(Downloads)" in abandonware categories on FTP

Post by xmsxmsxm »

Hi, just a quick question about the way the abandonware categories are set up on the FTP.

We have, for example, "PC (DOS)" as well as "PC (DOS) (Downloads)", and "PC (Windows)" as well as "PC (Windows) (Downloads)", etc.

My interpretation of this is that the regular (non-"Downloads") folders contain disk images that have been dumped specifically for BetaArchive as original submissions, whereas the "Downloads" folders contain disk images sourced from other places online. Is this interpretation completely accurate, or am I missing something? I want to be sure I fully understand what's what on here.

Thanks in advance for any clarifications or info about this - I haven't been very active here for various reasons but this place is an unbelievable treasure and I definitely plan on getting much more involved as soon as I can :)

ToMi1

Re: Meaning of "(Downloads)" in abandonware categories on FTP

Post by ToMi1 »

The "(Downloads)" means that the releases were downloaded from another websites (such as WinWorld) and so on.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

It's quite accurate. (Download) means it's been downloaded from a third party source, and these releases are flagged as non-original. (Digital) means they are original releases but downloaded from digital repos (Microsoft, Apple, Adobe, VMware etc). And the folders without any designation are all verified original dumps from original physical media, but only if the other folders are there, otherwise it may not be sorted yet.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

xmsxmsxm

Post by xmsxmsxm »

Thanks, that all makes sense! I really appreciate the level of care and detail that goes into the sorting and organizing in this community, it's something I find sadly lacking elsewhere. Even among many so-called preservationists. The increasing use of DIC as a dumping tool is also something I'm very happy to see, IMHO it's by far the best solution for preservation. Some seriously excellent work going on here, long may it continue (occasional silly little dramas notwithstanding)... :)