Compile ReactOS 0.2.0 explorer.exe from source for windows 10.

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
Jake harrison

Compile ReactOS 0.2.0 explorer.exe from source for windows 10.

Post by Jake harrison »

Hi, I'm trying add wallpaper support to explorer.exe from ReactOS 0.2.0 while running under windows 10, but before I get that far I need to know how to compile explorer.exe, All I know is that the source code for explorer.exe is located in reactos-0.2.0-source.zip\subsys\system\explorer and reactos-0.2.0-source.zip is available for download at "https://sourceforge.net/projects/reacto ... p/download". Thanks in advance.

oscareczek

Re: Compile ReactOS 0.2.0 explorer.exe from source for windows 10.

Post by oscareczek »

Why? Can't you just use the latest version?

Jake harrison

Post by Jake harrison »

oscareczek wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 9:36 am
Why? Can't you just use the latest version?
The latest version has issues running on windows 10 and has to be ran in Windows XP or Vista compatibility mode to function, and even then the start menu doesn't work on the latest version. Anyway the point of all this is that I'm trying to add wallpaper support to 0.2.0 explorer while running on windows 10 but i don't know how to compile it, i get errors when building/compiling on many versions of visual studio and MinGW, though I'm not very experienced with MinGW and may be doing something wrong. I also forgot to mention in the first post that the only documentation of compiling explorer.exe from ReactOS ive found is here "http://www.foxplanet.de/explorer/index.html" about three quarters down the page it mentions how to compile it. I'm currently trying to follow these instructions but aren't having much success.

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

Start Menu is missing probably because API for the classic Start Menu was removed sometime between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (I know for sure the Windows Vista Start Menu doesn't work starting with 8.1). You won't get it by compiling a piece of software from 2004.

Jake harrison

Post by Jake harrison »

oscareczek wrote:
Thu Nov 26, 2020 11:50 am
Start Menu is missing probably because API for the classic Start Menu was removed sometime between Windows 7 and Windows 8.1 (I know for sure the Windows Vista Start Menu doesn't work starting with 8.1). You won't get it by compiling a piece of software from 2004.
ReactOS 0.2.0's explorer works perfectly on windows 10, even the Start Menu works, the only things that don't work are images as the wallpaper, only colors work as the wallpaper and the shutdown/restart butons. So I'm trying to add wallpaper support to it but don't know how to compile it. Once I know how to compile it I can start editing the source code to add wallpaper support and functional power buttons.

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

In that case, I would first check what's the latest release with working Start Menu and start from there.

Jake harrison

Post by Jake harrison »

oscareczek wrote:
Fri Nov 27, 2020 10:43 am
In that case, I would first check what's the latest release with working Start Menu and start from there.
The latest release of explorer that has a working start menu is explorer_old.exe from ReactOS 0.4.13, normal explorer.exe from 0.4.13 doesn't work as you mentioned that the api's were removed between windows 7 and 8. I would like to use explorer.exe from 0.2.0 because it runs without any extra dll's and is simpler than explorer_old.exe from 0.4.13, also if your interested in seeing an image of explorer from 0.2.0 running on Windows 10 Enterprise LTSB here's a screenshot: "https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .48065.png"