ReflectiaX's Longhorn Beta and Demo Files Thread!

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
ReflectiaX

ReflectiaX's Longhorn Beta and Demo Files Thread!

Post by ReflectiaX »

Hey, everyone! I'm going to use this thread as a central place to post new Longhorn stuff. Today, I have a hodgepodge of fun files that should keep some of you busy for awhile. I'd love to see what all you try, find, etc. as there are a lot of files I'll be sharing here that I haven't done anything with yet! What I'll do is keep this post updated with stuff I share, and will bump the thread with a new post.

Some of the misc. build file archives are meant to be used in other builds -- including, in some cases, completely replacing the exact same files in a build with the demo ones.

Anyway, let the fun begin!

Builds and Build Files

Build 4035 UI Demo Script: Download Link
Build 4050 Sticky Notes Demo Files: Download Link
Build 4050 WordPad PDC Demo Files: Download Link
Build 4083 Notepad: Download Link
Build 4085 Explorer Demo Files: Download Link
Build 4091 XImage: Download Link
Build 4091 Tablet Demo Files: Download Link
Build 4092 Audio Demo Files: Download Link

Interactive Demos

Internal MSX Longhorn Demo for Executives (Circa 2002 with Plex UI): Download Link (REMOVED DUE TO MALWARE) (Currently on AnonFiles, so click through first, then download on the page it takes you to.)

Misc. LH Files

Various Longhorn Registry Keys: Download Link
Visit BetaCollector.com for rare and unique beta-related content!

ljcool2006

Re: ReflectiaX's Longhorn Beta and Demo Files Thread!

Post by ljcool2006 »

great stuff!

ljcool2006

Post by ljcool2006 »

The Anonfile download fails for me.

EDIT: Got it to work.

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

The moment of my life I was waiting for - the demo! Thank you so much for doing this!

Voyambar

Post by Voyambar »

If I may just ask...how in the world did you ever manage to obtain this? I know it wasn't by warez discs so how...this is like a dream come true

Magirus - Deutz

Post by Magirus - Deutz »

WordPad with WinFX? I never seen that before. How does it look?
The weird man.

The legendary OS is your favorite OS.

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

Voyambar wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 2:54 pm
If I may just ask...how in the world did you ever manage to obtain this? I know it wasn't by warez discs so how...this is like a dream come true
The demo was briefly accessible via an FTP that Microsoft used to use to send certain partners files. It was publicly accessible, no credentials needed (though I'm guessing it shouldn't have been). In fact, a bunch of LH stuff leaked through that for quite awhile.

Between that and the MSR FTP (which I used to watch like a hawk), a lot of internal stuff was inadvertently made publicly accessible directly from Microsoft, lol.

Before I made any contacts (and even after I did), I used to find stuff primarily in more obscure P2P apps (DC++, SLSK, etc.), FTPs, and open directories. I used Google, Napalm FTP Indexer, Filemare, and others.

Filemare was particularly amazing. They had a feature where you could search for servers by location on a map. So, you could drill down into a city block and see where certain servers were located. I used that to concentrate on areas surrounding Microsoft campuses, looking for servers in the area with internal files on them, etc. I found a lot of goodies like that as well.

Voyambar

Post by Voyambar »

ReflectiaX wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:08 pm
Voyambar wrote:
The demo was briefly accessible via an FTP that Microsoft used to use to send certain partners files. It was publicly accessible, no credentials needed (though I'm guessing it shouldn't have been). In fact, a bunch of LH stuff leaked through that for quite awhile.

Between that and the MSR FTP (which I used to watch like a hawk), a lot of internal stuff was inadvertently made publicly accessible directly from Microsoft, lol.

Before I made any contacts (and even after I did), I used to find stuff primarily in more obscure P2P apps (DC++, SLSK, etc.), FTPs, and open directories. I used Google, Napalm FTP Indexer, Filemare, and others.

Filemare was particularly amazing. They had a feature where you could search for servers by location on a map. So, you could drill down into a city block and see where certain servers were located. I used that to concentrate on areas surrounding Microsoft campuses, looking for servers in the area with internal files on them, etc. I found a lot of goodies like that as well.
Really? That's really stupid of them. Is any of that still true today? You can maybe get even more goodies.

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

Voyambar wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:36 pm
ReflectiaX wrote:
Sun Oct 11, 2020 5:08 pm
Voyambar wrote:

Really? That's really stupid of them. Is any of that still true today? You can maybe get even more goodies.
I suppose anything's possible. I'm not in the trenches of doing all that anymore, but perhaps someone else out there is.

Lukas Marsik

Post by Lukas Marsik »

So I picked up the 4085 bundle of files (which turned out to be mostly 4090, only Explorer is from 4085)

The first thing that jumped out at me when comparing these files to non-private Longhorn compiles was a different CD Burn Wizard, backed by WinFS for temporary storage.
To get it to work you'll first need to hex edit the .NET assemblies provided in the ZIP. Due to them being from build 4090 they attempt to load other shell assemblies with the same version which of course fails. An easy way to change the reference versions from 4090 to 4093 is to replace all occurrences of bytes 06 00 00 00 FA 0F with 06 00 00 00 FD 0F.
The assemblies you'll need to edit are the following: Microsoft.Windows.WCPClient, System.Windows.Contacts, System.Windows.Contacts.Interop, and System.Windows.Explorer.
After booting up with the changed files, go ahead and regsvr32 a copy of System.Windows.Explorer. The Burn Wizard uses some extra interfaces and we need to make sure they are in the registry.
Once you're done with all that, running "rundll32 shell32,BurnWizard_RunDLL Test,0" should bring you to what you see in the screenshots.
The names of the parameters you pass to the Burn Wizard are as follows: pszPnPId, fEraseMode
Setting fEraseMode to 1 results in a crash inside my VM, and passing it an invalid PnP Id doesn't seem to cause much harm as you can see

Here are the screenshots of it working (minus burning itself as it is a VM)

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

Awesome work, man! Thanks for sharing your progress!

MrUTB

Post by MrUTB »

This is so far amazing ReflectiaX. For us, as beta collectors, it's other of one masterpiece that went wild.

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Post by LuLu »

that proto plex will never stop being most beautiful win skin

daemonspudguy
Donator
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by daemonspudguy »

If you have any unleaked builds, would you ever consider releasing them to the FTP?

The_Doctor

Post by The_Doctor »

Thank you for sharing this (and all of the other stuff over the years, as well)!

dj_cityboy

Post by dj_cityboy »

lol *giggles like a kid in a candy store...

dude you rock! thank you for sharing this stuff, i appreciate it...cant even speak on that "interactive demo" didnt expect to see that...at all, EVER, lol

**offtopic - hey man i havent been on FB in a while and thus havent connected, last time we talked you told me about your site you were working on creating, i checked it out and i am stoked for more knowledge (i saw that animated phodeo background....dare i even ask WTF thats all about??). i hope life is treating you good and your job is going great and i hope your still shredding that guitar :)

peas
cityboy

Athene

Post by Athene »

Hi everyone :cool:

Forever tonight

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

Athene wrote:
Tue Nov 10, 2020 1:23 pm
Offtopic Comment
Reupload 5259 for Vista plz

Athene

Post by Athene »

BioMarkII wrote:
Wed Nov 11, 2020 2:11 pm
Athene wrote:
Offtopic Comment
Reupload 5259 for Vista plz
Offtopic Comment
Forever tonight

Magirus - Deutz

Post by Magirus - Deutz »

Athene wrote:

That is new. Is this a your concept or a real demo?
The weird man.

The legendary OS is your favorite OS.

Athene

Post by Athene »

Magirus - Deutz wrote:
Mon Nov 16, 2020 2:56 am
Athene wrote:
That is new. Is this a your concept or a real demo?
It's in the DIR files, but not visible in the demos in "START.EXE".
(DIR for Director, Macromedia or Adobe)

=D
Forever tonight

hinatahyuuga
Donator

Post by hinatahyuuga »

Aitemulive, the guys with many project never released ^^
ImageImage

dj_cityboy

Post by dj_cityboy »

Athene wrote:

hey man, c'mon now you cant be teasing us like this, that is a nice screenshot tho...it IS getting close to christmas, just sayin' :P

peas
cityboy

ReflectiaX

Post by ReflectiaX »

dj_cityboy wrote:
Fri Oct 23, 2020 5:42 pm
lol *giggles like a kid in a candy store...

dude you rock! thank you for sharing this stuff, i appreciate it...cant even speak on that "interactive demo" didnt expect to see that...at all, EVER, lol

**offtopic - hey man i havent been on FB in a while and thus havent connected, last time we talked you told me about your site you were working on creating, i checked it out and i am stoked for more knowledge (i saw that animated phodeo background....dare i even ask WTF thats all about??). i hope life is treating you good and your job is going great and i hope your still shredding that guitar :)

peas
cityboy
Hey-hey! Yeah, I figured it was a good time to let that one out into the world. There's a LOT of stuff left in it that I haven't seen anyone mention here, so there's a good bit of digging to be done for everyone. :D

I'm going to tie up some loose ends on the new site at the beginning of 2021 and start posting pretty regularly, as well as regularly dumping/uploading stuff. I don't foresee too much more Longhorn action happening from me for a little while, mainly because that well is just about tapped dry, but I have a ton of other fun stuff I'll be posting about. As for the phodeo background, it's from the HIllel Macromedia demo. You can do a lot more in it than what he did at PDC 2003. Hopefully I'll get to share it completely one day!

Hope you're doing well, too, dude! :cool:

Googulator

Post by Googulator »

ReflectiaX wrote:
Sat Oct 10, 2020 10:43 pm
Internal MSX Longhorn Demo for Executives (Circa 2002 with Plex UI): Download Link (Currently on AnonFiles, so click through first, then download on the page it takes you to.)
Careful with this link, it's currently involved in a malvertising attack! Clicking the download button actually redirects to a fake download page that offers up malware with the name "LH_PLEX_DEMO.zip", but much smaller file size. Right-clicking the button and copying URL gives the real URL and allows downloading the actual LH demo.

@ReflectiaX, you may want to reupload it to a more benign host.