Questions about FTP download savings

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
ss2452

Questions about FTP download savings

Post by ss2452 »

The other day I was pointed out that there were too many downloads.

It was certainly close to the upper limit. As stated in "FTP Fair Usage", I knew that I needed to reduce it, but apparently I didn't fully understand it. (Though The one that was 47GB or more was reduced to about 37GB...)

I have been subject to a limit (penalty). I think this was entirely my responsibility. Does this mean that the act of "reducing" Downloading is limited to less than 10GB?
(Note: "10GB" refers to when the limit is 50GB)
Also, 1200GB / month is just a guide, is it okay to recognize that 37GB / day, which is less than 40GB / day, has actually used most of the bandwidth?

If you know, please teach me.

ss2452

Windows Thunderstruck

Re: Questions about FTP download savings

Post by Windows Thunderstruck »

What exactly were you downloading that was close to the 50gb limit?
If i were you, i would stop at 45gb and wait until the quota resets.

ss2452

Post by ss2452 »

Windows Thunderstruck wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 1:55 pm
For example, Japanese version of Windows data.
For a single file, some PS3 beta ISO (Japanese version).

After being pointed out, I stopped transferring so that the daily download volume would not reach 40GB as much as possible ...

(By the way, yesterday's total download was 34.7GB)

ss2452

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Pretty much now your quota per day is 40gb.

I highly recommend reducing your usage. A lot. If you managed to not only get put on their radar for excessive downloading but were also penalized, you need to reduce that consumption. A lot.
Realize that they go by average. If your daily average hovers around the max, then it can be logically assumed that you are not applying the fair usage guideline. So downloading at 37/40gb every day for a month where 40gb is your quota is very close to constantly downloading near the max. And when you consider how it's averaged on a 30 day basis, again it can be seen as unfair usage. 1100 is quite close to the 1200gb maximum for a 30 day period.

To give you a perspective, in my nearly 9 years with FTP privilege, I have a total of 1.4TB downloaded. I am certain there are people who have been here longer and downloaded less.

It is also expected that there are times you want to download a very large file that may exceed your daily quota. In those cases I may come close or hit the quota for a day or two to complete the download. But after that download is completed, I give a "cooldown" of several days where I don't even log into the FTP.

So if you plan to be downloading from the FTP every single day continuously I would recommend limiting yourself to 50-60% of your allowed quota. This way your average is kept low, and you still have buffer room in case there is a large file you absolutely want to download one day that won't bring your average too high.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

ss2452

Post by ss2452 »

yourepicfailure wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:29 pm
Pretty much now your quota per day is 40gb.
Oops, my apologies. Before the limit, my quota was 50GB, not 40GB. So that means 1400 GB per month, or 37/50 GB, so you can assume that I'm using about 74% of it. Well, I can say this is still a lot...
yourepicfailure wrote:
It is also expected that there are times you want to download a very large file that may exceed your daily quota. In those cases I may come close or hit the quota for a day or two to complete the download. But after that download is completed, I give a "cooldown" of several days where I don't even log into the FTP.
A cooldown period... Sounds like a very good way to do it. I'd like to adopt that method from now on. Thank you.
yourepicfailure wrote:
So if you plan to be downloading from the FTP every single day continuously I would recommend limiting yourself to 50-60% of your allowed quota. This way your average is kept low, and you still have buffer room in case there is a large file you absolutely want to download one day that won't bring your average too high.
If you're going to limit it at 50-60% of the allowable amount, I think 25-30GB/day before the limit (50GB/day) and now that it's under the limit (10GB/day, starting September 19), I think 5-6GB/day is a reasonable amount. I see. I'll always be careful about the amount of downloads. And I'll keep an eye on it even after the limit is relaxed. But will the limit be loosened? (Even if I'm using it correctly.)

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

If you prove to mrpijey and Andy that you've realized your mistake, while demonstrating that you are following the guidelines and won't do this again, maybe you can politely ask for it to be brought back to 50gb per day.
But the key thing is proving that you are following the guidelines and will not misuse the privilege again. And most importantly, give it some time for them to see that you do not have a bad habit of misuse and not asking like next week.

And lastly don't beg, plead, or argue. Maybe they'll respond and reinstate your full quota when you ask. Or maybe they'll automatically give it back to you in some time.

TL;DR: Realize your mistake, correct yourself, and in some time you may get the full quota back. It's not guaranteed they'll give it back to you at all.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

ss2452 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:35 pm

After being pointed out, I stopped transferring so that the daily download volume would not reach 40GB as much as possible ...

ss2452
You have been maxing out your quota every day for over a month. That's a lot more than just "japanese version of Windows data" and "some PS3 beta ISO". I am sorry, but that's more than just japanese Windows versions and some PS3 ISOs. Neither exceed more than 4-5GB in size max, so you would have basically grabbed 7-10+ of them every day for more than 30 days?

You were also given a warning about your fair usage breach and excessive downloads which you ignored.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

ss2452

Post by ss2452 »

mrpijey wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 11:35 pm
ss2452 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 2:35 pm

ss2452
You have been maxing out your quota every day for over a month. That's a lot more than just "japanese version of Windows data" and "some PS3 beta ISO". I am sorry, but that's more than just japanese Windows versions and some PS3 ISOs. Neither exceed more than 4-5GB in size max, so you would have basically grabbed 7-10+ of them every day for more than 30 days?

You were also given a warning about your fair usage breach and excessive downloads which you ignored.
Yes. We'll continue to face the warning for 90 days as stated in the rules. I'm going to use the 10GB given to me appropriately without overusing it. My best regards to you. Thanks.

ss2452

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

This is your usage over the last 28 days, which as you can see is at or almost at maximum every day. It was also red about a week ago which isn't shown on this:

The reduced quota will be lifted when your usage is no longer considered excessive. We don't keep people on reduced quotas forever, we only do it when it's ignored. Some people reduce their usage when they get a warning and never get a quota limit. If you repeatedly break the FUP then you'll simply lose your access entirely. We want to be fair but we also can't allow people to use their full quota every day for weeks on end as it would begin to harm other people's downloading experience. You have to remember that we provide this for free on a very limited infrastructure, so we need everyone to play fair.

ss2452

Post by ss2452 »

Okay, I'll try to reduce my usage in the future so that I don't break the FUP and cause trouble again. (as mentioned above reply) I'll try to keep it under 60% of my quota.

Thank you all so much for your help and support.

ss2452