Updated SP1 build of Windows 7

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Alphis

Updated SP1 build of Windows 7

Post by Alphis »

If you downloaded Windows 7 by entering a valid product key on Microsoft's website, the ISO you get is probably a media refresh of SP1 but its build string reads:

7601.24214.180801-1700.win7sp1_ldr_escrow

Has anyone noticed it before?
If I remember correctly, the media refresh during 2011 didn't change anything related to the build string.
fatal crash intercepted
-says x360

oscareczek

Re: Updated SP1 build of Windows 7

Post by oscareczek »

xpclient

Post by xpclient »

Sadly they don't include the massive Convenience Rollup. Better to make your own then.
xpclient
Huge Microsoft fan and old software collector since Windows 3.0 and MS-DOS :mrgreen:
I did the testing and feedback for Classic Shell.

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

@Rob Jansen said here: only arch x64

But here are all versions:
[removed]

Honestly this is not an updated sp1, this is s*it, just integrated updates and changed build number. Anyone can make this. Updated release can be useful only if updates are actually "cleanly" merged with

Code: Select all

Dism.exe /online /Cleanup-Image /StartComponentCleanup /ResetBase
like on Windows 8/10 or
on whole image was used some other in-house tool for the same purpose.
Last edited by x010 on Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: bad link
(li) Every box with any belongings in it is just Isus's theft from ŽL. :evil:

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

Careful: don't put links to these releases, as they were released less than 10 years back and hence are considered warez.

maxtorix
Donator

Post by maxtorix »

x010 wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 10:46 am
Careful: don't put links to these releases, as they were released less than 10 years back and hence are considered warez.
I am sorry I don't want to argue or something, especially not with admins/mods, but I must say that warez by definition is something else... in BA's rules there is no definition what is considered as warez but according to Wikipedia definition
Warez is a common computing and broader cultural term referring to pirated software (i.e. illegally copied, often after deactivation of anti-piracy measures) that is distributed via the Internet.
I didn't post activation tools that was just genuine links to MS server downloads. Branch is ldr_escrow and escrow by definition is pre-rtm or in this case post-rtm. I agree that actually is a rtm build with integrated updates but then in matter of fact build string says otherwise.

Anyway according to windowswiki.info for Escrow branch stands:
"Sometimes Microsoft released builds referred to as “Escrow”. Escrow means the development of a branch gets stopped and the code is being tested. If Microsoft or its testers don’t discover any serious bugs (“showstoppers”), the current build becomes the final milestone (usually RC or RTM, but sometimes there are also beta escrow builds). Escrow builds are usually handed out to TAP (Technology Adoption Program) testers, ISVs, IHVs, etc.
LDR for that matter stands for Limited distribution release so according to the string: 6.1.7601.24214 (win7sp1_ldr_escrow.180801-1700)

this release is part of the post-rtm branch, and by my opinion there is other post-rtm builds on the ftp server, actually I don't see how this build is very much different from "6.1.7600.16384 (win7_rtm.090710-1945)" what on TheCollectionBook is put in escrow pre-rtm brunch of Windows 7. Hmm... again, how then Rob Jansen figured out that this is not a RTM build?! The string says it is. Yeah it is not the actual signed off build but still is marked as RTM build.

However I think at least BA's rules needs some definitions to be added to it. What you think?
(li) Every box with any belongings in it is just Isus's theft from ŽL. :evil:

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

We don't really care what Wikipedia says about warez or not. If the title doesn't fit out abandonware guidelines then it can't be published, it's as simple as that. These escrow builds carry a date tag of 180801, i.e 2018-08-01, that's not 10+ years old. So it can't be distributed or linked to on the forums.

And I already have all these ISOs archived for a future release once they become abandonware.

As for our definitions they are set for years now and have been mentioned on multiple occasions, and they are defined in the guide as well, if you've chosen to ignore them then that's on you. Our definition of abandonware (and to qualify it for publishing it on our forums and FTP) is as follows:

- At least 10 years old from publishing date
- Not sold by the developers or publishers
- Not supported by the developers or publishers.

Your links and ISOs violates at least one of these. So they don't get published on the forums or on the FTP until all three conditions are met. And you said it yourself, it's a RTM build with updates, and the release itself is newer than 10 years old.

We have these guidelines in place for a reason, please follow them. If you think any of your uploads should be an exception then you get in touch with us and we'll make a decision, but in this case it's a clear case.

Thank you.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

maxtorix wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 11:46 am
Branch is ldr_escrow and escrow by definition is pre-rtm or in this case post-rtm.
It's not. In fact, you might have noticed that the article you quoted uses the rather unspecific term "milestone". The milestone could be a beta, RTM, or simply an update.

Furthermore, GDR and LDR are servicing branches, where updates to a released product are developed. The reason why LDR is called limited distribution is that they are fixes to specific uncommon scenarios and aren't tested as thoroughly as regular GDR (general distribution) updates.

Also, there simply is no such thing as a post-RTM. If it's after RTM, then it's either an update (GDR/LDR), or it belongs to the next development cycle.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!