question about denying FTP access

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
msvetov

question about denying FTP access

Post by msvetov »

Hello. I'm a newbie here, so please be patient if I wrong. Yesterday I uploaded a file to FTP server to get FTP access. It was named "Microsoft Windows 3.1 ('Janus' 3.10.034e) (1996-12-24) [English] (beta) (3.5''-1.44MB).zip" and contained six original .img files of this beta and one additional file (not from Microsoft) as fix (this is very early beta, so it may be not working without it; I don't have any opporunity to check it at the moment). I warned that fix is unofficial in readme.txt file inside .zip archve. I made a folder on FTP, named it by my nickname (msvetov), uploaded file, then made folder named "completed". But today my FTP access was denied. I have nothing in PM, so I have no idea, why. Should I re-upload my file without unofficial fix?

computebrute
Donator

Re: question about denying FTP access

Post by computebrute »

Is this from original disks? did you upload up-to-standard scans? You weren't supposed to upload any "fix" if it wasn't original. My two cents.

msvetov

Post by msvetov »

computebrute wrote:
Sun Sep 06, 2020 6:40 pm
Is this from original disks? did you upload up-to-standard scans? You weren't supposed to upload any "fix" if it wasn't original. My two cents.
I found it in one of the abandoned corners of the Internet, which is very hard to find. So I don't have any scans. But other Windows 3.1 betas don't have any scans too, according to FTP database. So the problem is in unofficial fix, I think.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

For getting FTP access, you need to upload something original (not something you found on the internet). So find a CD, dump and scan it according to the guidelines, and then upload that.

The beta you uploaded might still make it to the FTP, credited to you (at least if it is not on the FTP already), but it most probably will not get you FTP access.

viewtopic.php?p=431802#p431802
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA