Update FTP TLS Protocol Version

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
Zheng He
Donator

Update FTP TLS Protocol Version

Post by Zheng He »

It has been a long time since FileZilla v3.47 update broke the compatibility with BA FTP. It turns out that BA FTP is utilizing TLS v1.0 from 1999, which is extremely old, vulnerable and deprecated, and that's why FileZilla v3.47+ literally refused to connect BA FTP. There is no obvious reason still using TLS v1.0, since TLS v1.2 from 2008 is properly supported by Windows XP and above. I strongly suggest that you update TLS protocol version to v1.2 and/or v1.3 and update cipher suite as well. Both MD5 and SHA-1 are insecure now.

Andy
Administrator

Re: Update FTP TLS Protocol Version

Post by Andy »

We can't update it, which is why we ask people to use an older version. The software we use us no longer updated so we're stuck on the newest version they offer. We are exploring new options but integration isn't easy.

DJ Deedahx
Donator

Post by DJ Deedahx »

Alternatively, there is another program I personally use called WinSCP which can access the BetaArchive FTP with no issues as of right now.
DDX — 86Box Staff/Power User & YouTube Channel Manager

Windowsbegood

Post by Windowsbegood »

I'm also using that client, but it would be nice if you could change the FTP software so newer FileZilla clients can access.
Windows Alpha Test Release :beta: :beta: :beta: :OD

JustZisGuy

Post by JustZisGuy »

BA FTP is utilizing TLS v1.0 from 1999, which is extremely old, vulnerable and deprecated,
Which would be important if BA FTP users were transferring banking files or some such. So if some evil hacker breaks in to the encryption and publicly unleashes terabytes of Windows 8 betas on the world... ok, I guess that would be pretty horrible. :P