How can I download the files? And what does the FTP paths do?

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
thegeniusengi

How can I download the files? And what does the FTP paths do?

Post by thegeniusengi »

The question is in the subject. I'm new so sorry!

Andy
Administrator

Re: How can I download the files? And what does the FTP paths do?

Post by Andy »

Please read this: http://www.betaarchive.com/contributions.php

The FTP path allows you to quickly find the file on the FTP once you have access.

thegeniusengi

Post by thegeniusengi »

Andy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:26 pm

The FTP path allows you to quickly find the file on the FTP once you have access.
Yeah but it seems like I have to contribute some beta software so I can access it, but I have none. How can I download the files without using the FTP server? Since:
1. I don't know how to download through FTP.
2. I read the servers' info and see there are 2 servers, one is HTTP and one is FTP, and I want to download through HTTP.
Last edited by thegeniusengi on Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

thegeniusengi wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:43 pm
Andy wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 1:26 pm

Yeah but it seems like I have to contribute some beta software so I can access it, but I have none. How can I download the files without using the FTP server? Since:
2. I read the servers' info and see there are 2 servers, one is HTTP and one is FTP, and I want to download through HTTP.
That's the whole point. BA does not offer its FTP servers just like that, you need to contribute a release. See viewtopic.php?f=39&t=32742.
Also, once you get access, the instructions in the FTP page will explain how to download through FTP.

As for part 2, this is the HTTP site. The FTP server is used for downloads, while the HTTP server is for the website (forum, wiki etc). It's not possible to download using HTTP.

Windowsbegood

Post by Windowsbegood »

You need to get access to the FTP server (the one that has the downloads), once you do you neeed an FTP client such as FileZilla, WinSCP, or any other.
Windows Alpha Test Release :beta: :beta: :beta: :OD

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

thegeniusengi wrote:
Yeah but it seems like I have to contribute some beta software so I can access it, but I have none.
You will have to find something to upload before you can download. Check the links that others have posted.
thegeniusengi wrote:
You will have to learn that. See it as BA's contribution to learning old-school file distribution techniques ;-)
thegeniusengi wrote:
The HTTP server is for the forum and database only, you cannot download anything there. Files can only be downloaded from the FTP server.
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

thegeniusengi

Post by thegeniusengi »

Darkstar wrote:
Wed Jul 29, 2020 8:08 pm
thegeniusengi wrote:
Yeah but it seems like I have to contribute some beta software so I can access it, but I have none.
You will have to find something to upload before you can download. Check the links that others have posted.
thegeniusengi wrote:
You will have to learn that. See it as BA's contribution to learning old-school file distribution techniques ;-)
thegeniusengi wrote:
The HTTP server is for the forum and database only, you cannot download anything there. Files can only be downloaded from the FTP server.
Oook it seems like I have to contribute some software, but I can't find literally any, so I guess that I wasted my time? Damn it, just ugh. Well ok thanks

thegeniusengi

Post by thegeniusengi »

Thank you guys but it seems I have to contribute some original software I have but the archive don't have (which I don't have any, since I don't collect beta stuff, because I'm just someone who would like to research the files only, not collecting them.)
So now I have to find a workaround, still, thank you for your support!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

There's nothing that says you can only contribute betas. Any titles of any age will do as long as they are original. This is specified in the guidelines if you've read them.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

thegeniusengi

Post by thegeniusengi »

mrpijey wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 8:38 am
There's nothing that says you can only contribute betas. Any titles of any age will do as long as they are original. This is specified in the guidelines if you've read them.
Yeah I know, but then, I have..... no original software. Most of the "original" software I own are useless (They are designed for accountants, I collect them sometimes, but there's no boxes of them, and it's can be downloaded for free online (at least in my country btw)). So nah, I don't have any.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Yeah, well, if you cannot find anything to donate then you'll have to look for your betas elsewhere, sorry.

Too bad you don't seem to want to invest an hour or two (asking around friends) or a few dollars (buying something on a flea market, pawn shop or ebay) but it's okay, I think BA can survive without you ;-)
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

thegeniusengi

Post by thegeniusengi »

Darkstar wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 10:16 am
I think BA can survive without you ;-)
Ok then gg bye lol, may have to look for Windows beta somewhere, but for now tho, gg and bye!

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

Darkstar wrote:
Please do not make such comments against users for any reason. Each user that comes here is valuable to BA, even if they can't necessarily contribute a release. In fact, that user could be just as useful by contributing to the forum or the wiki.

thegeniusengi

Post by thegeniusengi »

x010 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:45 pm
Darkstar wrote:
Please do not make such comments against users for any reason. Each user that comes here is valuable to BA, even if they can't necessarily contribute a release. In fact, that user could be just as useful by contributing to the forum or the wiki.
Can I? Well even if I contribute to the forum or the wiki, I will still can't get access to the FTP server, so I guess he/she/they is right?

thegeniusengi

Post by thegeniusengi »

Darkstar wrote:
Too bad you don't seem to want to invest an hour or two (asking around friends) or a few dollars (buying something on a flea market, pawn shop or ebay)
That's very funny of you. My friends are not like me *-) They aren't some nerds who would like some beta softwares to use. And no flea market in my country got ANYTHING that even related a little bit to technology, let alone beta softwares.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

thegeniusengi wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:07 pm
x010 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 2:45 pm
Darkstar wrote:
Can I? Well even if I contribute to the forum or the wiki, I will still can't get access to the FTP server, so I guess he/she/they is right?
While they are indeed right, a user saying that " I think BA can survive without you" is akin to telling that they are no value to this site, which is absolutely incorrect. I manage the wiki here, and have users without FTP access who contribute to it, and I'm grateful for that. Similarly, we have several forum users who have a substantial number of posts that don't have server access here, and their contributions are just as valued.

According to Darkstar, such users are useless to the site. That's the point I was trying to get across.
Offtopic Comment
And frankly, if I had the choice to give such users FTP access, I would.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

thegeniusengi wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 4:10 pm
And no flea market in my country got ANYTHING that even related a little bit to technology, let alone beta softwares.
Okay, repeat after me:

You. Don't. Need. To. Upload. BETA. Software. To. Get. FTP. Access.

You just need to find ANY ORIGINAL CD with software on it. Not shareware or coverdisc, but literally anything else will do. I don't understand why people get this wrong all the time. It's literally right in the first paragraph of the rules/guides. Maybe this part should be phrased so that it is even easier to understand. Or written in bold. Or something.

And THIS is why I said BA can live without you. Because if you don't even invest the 2 minutes it takes to read the whole guide, you are clearly just here to beg for access "oh no I cannot provide anything, I have not a single original CD/DVD, I have no friends who have anything on CD/DVD, and there is no way I can get a single CD/DVD from a flea market, ebay, craiglist, or whatever"... Sure, x010 is right, people who cannot or do not want to upload stuff are indeed valuable to BA, but only if they take part in useful discussions on the forum or make valuable contributions to the Wiki. But in your case you have made it rather clear that you're not interested in those, you're only here for the "free beta filez".

BA has only one rule, and that is that you have to provide something. This is not an unreasonable rule, and as many members here can attest, it is not impossible to follow that rule, no matter in which country you live. Other places require you to fulfill 1:1 ratios, or provide monthly monetary donations. BA does nothing like that. You basically get a free pass if you just upload one single properly dumped and scanned CD... and it doesn't actually have to be properly scanned if you don't have a scanner, which is a rule change that was made because people STILL kept complaining that this one single rule was too harsh and prevented too many people from contributing. So the bar is basically already as low as it gets, yet you still are not satisfied unless we give you "free beta filez" so that you can grab what you want and leave...

Please read the rules again, consider if you can and want to follow them, and if not, please stop complaining as the rules won't be bent for you.

johndoe123

Post by johndoe123 »

You really can upload non-betas that are original. I got my FTP access by uploading an original copy of Office 2013 Home And Business so your accountant software "should" be accepted because they are original.
PC: 2020 MacBook Pro
CPU: M1
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Storage: 512GB

thegeniusengi

Post by thegeniusengi »

johndoe123 wrote:
Fri Jul 31, 2020 3:48 am
You really can upload non-betas that are original. I got my FTP access by uploading an original copy of Office 2013 Home And Business so your accountant software "should" be accepted because they are original.
Yeah, but..... I have no covers for my software. I try to find them, but I don't really know if the admins and mods DO accept any software with no box covers, so....

Winins

Post by Winins »

thegeniusengi wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:06 am
johndoe123 wrote:
Yeah, but..... I have no covers for my software. I try to find them, but I don't really know if the admins and mods DO accept any software with no box covers, so....
My first FTP contribution has no box covers and it's accepted...
You have never seen Windows like this!
FREE Windows 3.2!
Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

Windowsbegood

Post by Windowsbegood »

Mine also only had the envelopes and was accepted, as long as you dump and scan it properly it should get accepted.
Windows Alpha Test Release :beta: :beta: :beta: :OD

thegeniusengi

Post by thegeniusengi »

Winins wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:58 am
thegeniusengi wrote:
johndoe123 wrote:
Ok thanks for it. Will upload the software soon!

Winins

Post by Winins »

thegeniusengi wrote:
Fri Aug 07, 2020 7:15 am
Winins wrote:
Wed Aug 05, 2020 9:58 am
thegeniusengi wrote:
johndoe123 wrote:
Ok thanks for it. Will upload the software soon!
I mean, you still need to scan the front and the back of the CD.
You have never seen Windows like this!
FREE Windows 3.2!
Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

johndoe123

Post by johndoe123 »

You just need to scan the CD if you don't have the packaging.
PC: 2020 MacBook Pro
CPU: M1
RAM: 16GB DDR4
Storage: 512GB

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

johndoe123 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 12:17 pm
You just need to scan the CD if you don't have the packaging.
No, you always have to scan the CD. It has nothing to do with packaging