Will Big Sur be able to run iOS apps?

Discuss macOS 11.
BioMarkII

Will Big Sur be able to run iOS apps?

Post by BioMarkII »

A kinda pointless question, but out of interest - will ARM-oriented macOS 11 edition support running iPhone (iOS) apps without any emulators, at least theoretically? I could see that happening.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Will Big Sur be able to run iOS apps?

Post by AlphaBeta »

BioMarkII wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 pm
A kinda pointless question
I am glad that we agree about this, considering this was mentioned in about every news article about the transition to Apple silicon.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/2129 ... -wwdc-2020
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Meow

Post by Meow »

Now, how about backwards? Could macOS apps run on iOS or iPadOS?

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 7:28 pm
BioMarkII wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 5:09 pm
A kinda pointless question
I am glad that we agree about this, considering this was mentioned in about every news article about the transition to Apple silicon.

https://www.theverge.com/2020/6/22/2129 ... -wwdc-2020
Oh wow, it was? Guess I'm behind.

Little Owl

Post by Little Owl »

Meow wrote:
Mon Jul 06, 2020 8:36 pm
It is up to the developers to make their app have a consistent user experience in all three OSes. I do not expect that all macOS apps will instantly run on the next release of iOS or iPadOS. Right now, some apps depend on plugins that only run on macOS right now, and also only macOS can run unverified apps, such as JOSM (the map editor for OpenStreetMap).

SonnyDickson

Post by SonnyDickson »

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Meow wrote:
Unlikely, I can't see Apple willingly supporting all these multi-window AppKit apps running natively on an iPhone.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Kreeblah

Post by Kreeblah »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:00 pm
Meow wrote:
Unlikely, I can't see Apple willingly supporting all these multi-window AppKit apps running natively on an iPhone.
Yeah. Using a touchscreen interface with a mouse isn't great, but at least it's still functional. Trying to do a multiwindow thing on an OS that expects one primary "window" front and center the whole time would be asking for trouble.

TeddyJi

Post by TeddyJi »

Looks like Apple will port the "Cannot downgrade" feature to macOS.

moosethegoose2213

Post by moosethegoose2213 »

TeddyJi wrote:
Fri Oct 09, 2020 1:57 pm
Wait, you can downgrade macOS versions? I thought to do that you had to copy the folder of the user to transfer your data, and as far as I know that still works. I may just be misunderstanding what you meant, but I don't think you could downgrade to begin with. If it's possible currently, I would like to learn how and try it myself.

TeddyJi

Post by TeddyJi »

moosethegoose2213 wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 10:55 pm
TeddyJi wrote:
Wait, you can downgrade macOS versions? I thought to do that you had to copy the folder of the user to transfer your data, and as far as I know that still works. I may just be misunderstanding what you meant, but I don't think you could downgrade to begin with. If it's possible currently, I would like to learn how and try it myself.
I'm quite sure I could download an older version's .DMG and flash it into a USB. Do something and when booted in the installation disk, it succeeded!

You know, iOS cannot downgrade!!!!! (without exploits)

NoaHimesaka

Post by NoaHimesaka »

Now Apple have blocked sideloading ipas on Apple Silicon macs. Welp.

TeddyJi

Post by TeddyJi »

YES!! I've got some iOS apps on my Apple M1 Macbook Air! It works really good and you could get them easily from the Mac App Store.

HTV04

Post by HTV04 »

iOS app support seems cool and all, but I hate how Apple made it so you can't sideload them. Like, come on, this is macOS we're talking about! We can sideload normal macOS apps, why not iOS apps?

I also feel like some devs will take advantage of the option to prevent macOS users from installing their apps if they haven't already. Since devs have this option, it kind of ruins the illusion that we're experiencing this new experimental feature where we can run iOS apps on macOS, and it instead feels more like the devs behind iOS apps know that you're running their app on macOS, if that makes any sense.

TeddyJi

Post by TeddyJi »

moosethegoose2213 wrote:
TeddyJi wrote:
M1 MacBooks can be downgraded using IPSWs through DFU mode and Apple Configurator. We still can downgrade even the IPSW is not signed.

plug

Post by plug »

TeddyJi wrote:
Sun Feb 06, 2022 3:16 am
moosethegoose2213 wrote:

M1 MacBooks can be downgraded using IPSWs through DFU mode and Apple Configurator. We still can downgrade even the IPSW is not signed.
Didn't know this, cool!
Do we still have to obtain an "authorization ticket" from Apple servers for the firmware validation process (like with iOS platforms - SHSH/APTickets et al.)?