confusion about how to contribute to download files

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
samtupy
Donator

confusion about how to contribute to download files

Post by samtupy »

Hello. So I stumbled across this website because I found that there is something here that I have been looking for for probably a couple of months now. Understandably, I can't just go getting access to ftp servers to download files without contributing, and that's where I have a problem. Aside from the fact that I don't think I own anything anyone here would find useful, I am also visually impaired, and so we can forget about me scanning any DVD artwork here and now, because I would need a sighted person to help me do it, and assuming they made any errors, I'd upload it, find the upload deleted or whatever because of invalid following of the guidelines, and then I'd have to request their help again until it was done right, just not practical. So basically, I am just trying to access 6 isos, and if there is a way to do so, I would be more than happy to contribute in some way to get them. I *DO NOT* wish to be some sort of leach! However, I am at an utter loss of how to contribute. Honestly I don't even need FTP access, I'm just trying to figure out if there is anything I can do to just get access to a few files, each probably around 600mb according to the search. Sadly though the only thing I have is money. I have probably never purchased a computer disk containing software in my life, because while I could braille labels and such, it just doesn't make sense when I can just download stuff and always have it organised. Unfortunately what I want seems to have quite literally disappeared off the internet, so I don't really know what to do. Like I said, I don't want to be a leach and if possible would gladly contribute to get these few files, but I'm wondering if anyone has any ideas as to how? The only thing I can think of is a $100+ donation, but it seems vehemently clear that money is not accepted as a way to get files. Again, I don't even necessarily need FTP access, just links to 6 files. If anyone has any more unique ways I may be able to contribute to get them, I'd be very obliged. If this just comes off as some annoying person wanting to take advantage of the website, I really apologize as this is not my intention. I just have a project I am working on, and it involves a device running an old operating system, one where the development environment seems to have completely vanished from the net aside from this website, and I'm getting a wee bit desperate here. If anyone can think of a solution to my problem I'd really appreciate it. Thank you for considering this post, and I apologize if I've accidentally broken some guideline or put this in the wrong place or have done anything else wrong in communicating this!

Andy
Administrator

Re: confusion about how to contribute to download files

Post by Andy »

We would like to help you in any way we can to get access. Since we know your situation we can take that into account when processing any uploads.

Out of interest, which files is it that you're after?

samtupy
Donator

Post by samtupy »

Hi! The files I'm trying to get are just the ones in this search, all of the disks of windows CE .net 5.0. https://www.betaarchive.com/database/se ... CE.NET+5.0 So if I should upload, what sort of uploads would be accepted from me? If I have a file, I almost certainly got it from the internet and not from physical media. I believe the only disks I own are ones that came with hardware devices, which according to the guidelines are probably not accepted. I may have a floppy from an old braille note taking device which may or may not be interesting because I'm not sure if that can easily be found online anymore, but again it's for a hardware device that most people are never going to own and so is probably not useful. I guess I just don't really know where to look, I'm pretty isolated and couldn't even tell you the newest hot game release if it came out because likely no one would tell me, and as such have never gone into a store to purchase games on disc, never had to actually purchase an OS on disc, ETC I imagine the picture is pretty clear. What sorts of things could I possibly contribute in this case?

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

> Aside from the fact that I don't think I own anything anyone here would find useful

If it is a CD or DVD that has some sort of software on it, it WILL be useful. No matter if it's a Windows CD, a copy of "Sponge Bob vs. Street Fighter Turbo Ultra", or "An Illustraded Guide to the Subway Tunnels of Paris"... As long as it's original software and not shovelware/bundleware it is perfectly acceptable.

Just take a quick look in your old storage boxes or ask some friends or colleagues for stuff they're about to throw out. Fleamarkets are also often useful, although I doubt there are an awful lot of them these days due to that whole virus situation...
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

samtupy, I have sent you a PM. You can probably read it but not reply. Let me know here if you got it, and then you should have 3 posts and will be able to reply to the PM if needed.

samtupy
Donator

Post by samtupy »

Hello. Thank you, I will check and reply to that once this post is accepted. Thank you @4 for the clarification.

jaxonhollis

Post by jaxonhollis »

Me confused too. Completely.
At the beginning, I wanted to download only some small amount of datas.
Later I found that there is needed to register and to contribute. I said ok, no problem, I have tons of interesting/useful apps/abandonwares etc, generaly things which are pretty hard
or impossible to get on the net today. Including many personal collections which somebody can find it very usefull and to be very happy with it. So I said OK, why not to upload it.
While registering I read rules. Again I said Ok, why not. These guys (admins) dont want to have mess on server and they set some politics for uploading.

But what was the suprise when I read what exactly will be accepted and what not make me speachless.
And – if you break some rules you are banned forever.
I am simply confused. On the one side – you dont want to upload apps/shareware/freeware/drivers/etc, but on the second side you are writting
That CD or DVD with „Star Wars Jabba person vs Freddy Krueger“.iso it is usefull.
??
So completely lost apps (even drivers on cd including some freeware) which completely disappeared from the web is not acceptable, but "Sponge Bob vs. Street Fighter Turbo Ultra" will be usefull? Those are your words. So? Uff forget it..

I was reading rules/TaC/forums/Question and Answers further and I considered that tons of usefull things I have (including files, cd/dvd, original and not original also) in fact you dont want to store there on your servers. So then I wont to share it with you, because I am convinced that in an effort to make the server tidy with some rules, you have rather caused chaos, which only you and select of fews, understand, but from what I read on the forum, probably no one else. Overprocessed and overgrown.
So I am asking you for deleting my account. You have my permission. I will not cry.
And I am gonna to keep my 10GB maybe 20GB of sensible thing behind my hat.
Bye.
Jaxon

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

jaxonhollis wrote:
Sun Nov 15, 2020 4:59 pm
Me confused too. Completely.
At the beginning, I wanted to download only some small amount of datas.
Later I found that there is needed to register and to contribute. I said ok, no problem, I have tons of interesting/useful apps/abandonwares etc, generaly things which are pretty hard
or impossible to get on the net today. Including many personal collections which somebody can find it very usefull and to be very happy with it. So I said OK, why not to upload it.
While registering I read rules. Again I said Ok, why not. These guys (admins) dont want to have mess on server and they set some politics for uploading.

But what was the suprise when I read what exactly will be accepted and what not make me speachless.
And – if you break some rules you are banned forever.
I am simply confused. On the one side – you dont want to upload apps/shareware/freeware/drivers/etc, but on the second side you are writting
That CD or DVD with „Star Wars Jabba person vs Freddy Krueger“.iso it is usefull.
??
So completely lost apps (even drivers on cd including some freeware) which completely disappeared from the web is not acceptable, but "Sponge Bob vs. Street Fighter Turbo Ultra" will be usefull? Those are your words. So? Uff forget it..

I was reading rules/TaC/forums/Question and Answers further and I considered that tons of usefull things I have (including files, cd/dvd, original and not original also) in fact you dont want to store there on your servers. So then I wont to share it with you, because I am convinced that in an effort to make the server tidy with some rules, you have rather caused chaos, which only you and select of fews, understand, but from what I read on the forum, probably no one else. Overprocessed and overgrown.
So I am asking you for deleting my account. You have my permission. I will not cry.
And I am gonna to keep my 10GB maybe 20GB of sensible thing behind my hat.
Bye.
Jaxon
I didn't want to accept this post which was quite off-topic, but I need to note that you need to contact an admin if you want your account deleted, not post in the wrong place.