OLPC-specific Windows XP?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
nar002

OLPC-specific Windows XP?

Post by nar002 »

So very old subject I know but I remembered these existed and I've always been curious about it, considering apparently they were pretty far along development https://www.zdnet.com/article/microsoft ... 023001504/

Anyone have any information about these? I saw someone mention they got it on theirs in a comment but nothing else, and here's probably the best place to ask! Thanks for any info about it!

Voyambar

Re: OLPC-specific Windows XP?

Post by Voyambar »

Well much like those pay-as-you-go editions of Windows XP these were only available in poorer countries such as South America and the like

nar002

Post by nar002 »

Voyambar wrote:Well much like those pay-as-you-go editions of Windows XP these were only available in poorer countries such as South America and the like
Yeah but I've never actually seen that version in the wild, that's why I was curious about it! If it was on a SD card it should've been leaked by now no?

Visual917

Post by Visual917 »

Were they using XP Starter?

Designed for Microsoft Windows 98®

Winins

Post by Winins »

Visual917 wrote:Were they using XP Starter?
No they aren't. There was an exclusive version of WinXP Home Edition that is for ULCPCs(ultra low cost pc), maybe the OP is talking about that. It apparently came pre-installed on PCs and is super rare.
You have never seen Windows like this!
FREE Windows 3.2!
Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

Venetik
Donator

Post by Venetik »

Maybe Windows Fundamentals for Legacy PCs? Probably similar philosophy.
Well, hello friends!

nar002

Post by nar002 »

Just pinging again because I'm still curious about this, I still can't find anything and it's driving me crazy! I've seen some people talk about using windows so I'm confused since apparently the OLPC ran on an ARM CPU

Edit: So I found this searching, apparently it was very specific, still hope someone backed it up at least! If only so it's not lost to time http://lists.laptop.org/pipermail/devel ... 38622.html

Hyoenmadan86

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

Windows OLPCs ran in ultracheap x86 SoC boards (vortex x86 or similar) with OpenFirmware firmware. This OpenFirmware had BIOS emulation built in, so it could run standard x86 Windowses (It was made by the same company that made VEENER for CHRP NT PPCs, Firmworks). Probably the only special of these built-in windows OLPC images were the drivers, which were only included and used in these PCs, so you will not found them in the net.

razvangabriel82

Post by razvangabriel82 »

I also found some videos with OLPC running Windows XP
Here is one:

nar002

Post by nar002 »

Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
Sat Jul 25, 2020 6:19 pm
Windows OLPCs ran in ultracheap x86 SoC boards (vortex x86 or similar) with OpenFirmware firmware. This OpenFirmware had BIOS emulation built in, so it could run standard x86 Windowses (It was made by the same company that made VEENER for CHRP NT PPCs, Firmworks). Probably the only special of these built-in windows OLPC images were the drivers, which were only included and used in these PCs, so you will not found them in the net.
Looking at the devs talking about it, WinXP booted from a special SD card so it wasn't a normal version of XP, that's what makes it interesting! That and it being specifically made for it too

Hyoenmadan86

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

nar002 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 8:19 am
Looking at the devs talking about it, WinXP booted from a special SD card so it wasn't a normal version of XP, that's what makes it interesting! That and it being specifically made for it too
Not that special. Bootable from SDCard was done using components from Windows XP Embedded. Still the same x86 build everyone knows.
OEMs can do highly customized system images for the devices they will ship to consumer, and license independent components from Windows XP Embedded if they need to. But all these come from standard builds everyone here knows. For example, check older Compaq QuickRestore stuff.

nar002

Post by nar002 »

Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm
nar002 wrote:
Not that special. Bootable from SDCard was done using components from Windows XP Embedded. Still the same x86 build everyone knows.
OEMs can do highly customized system images for the devices they will ship to consumer, and license independent components from Windows XP Embedded if they need to. But all these come from standard builds everyone here knows. For example, check older Compaq QuickRestore stuff.
I didn't know windows embedded could boot, but would it also be able to boot on an OLPC? From what the devs said ti was a highly customised version of XP that was even tailored to a very specific SD-card for some reason that's why I find it interesting

Hyoenmadan86

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

nar002 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:31 am
I didn't know windows embedded could boot, but would it also be able to boot on an OLPC? From what the devs said ti was a highly customised version of XP that was even tailored to a very specific SD-card for some reason that's why I find it interesting
Just exaggerations of the time. And yes, seeing the specifications of the OLPC, Windows embedded should do its work in the OLPC. If you have one, you would like to try with it.

palmakia

Post by palmakia »

nar002 wrote:
Thu Jul 30, 2020 9:31 am
Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
Sun Jul 26, 2020 1:32 pm
nar002 wrote:
OEMs can do highly customized system images for the devices they will ship to consumer, and license independent components from Windows XP Embedded if they need to. But all these come from standard builds everyone here knows. For example, check older Compaq QuickRestore stuff.autoclicker.onl
his OpenFirmware had BIOS emulation built in, so it could run standard x86 Windowses

nar002

Post by nar002 »

Right but the OLPC wasn't x86 was it? So how could it run WinXP?

Hyoenmadan86

Post by Hyoenmadan86 »

nar002 wrote:
Tue Aug 11, 2020 11:45 pm
Right but the OLPC wasn't x86 was it? So how could it run WinXP?
It is. Is driven by an AMD Geode x86 SoC. It just had a different firmware (Firmworks OpenFirmware instead BIOS). You can check its specifications in its support page.