BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 27d, 13h, 9m | CPU: 88% | MEM: 5332MB of 8191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 11:50 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
Hi guys, long time not to post in here.

In the mean time, I recently found an article about Windows NT 3.5 source code got leaked.

Here is the article : https://www.engadget.com/xbox-os-window ... 13929.html

Offtopic Comment
Also XBOX OG source code got leaked too, I thought Microsoft will filed lawsuit, as Nintendo did with Wii case

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:19 pm 
FTP Access

This has been going around for quite a while now. Xbox's source code has also been leaked as far back as 2004 if I recall correctly.

Windows 8

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 12:27 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
mrfunnylaughs wrote:
This has been going around for quite a while now. Xbox's source code has also been leaked as far back as 2004 if I recall correctly.

IIRC, before this happened the source code leaked back in 2004 were incomplete

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 1:00 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
Andreas wrote:
Hi guys, long time not to post in here.

In the mean time, I recently found an article about Windows NT 3.5 source code got leaked.

Here is the article : https://www.engadget.com/xbox-os-window ... 13929.html

I'm quite surprised at how little interest the press has shown in this leak. As far as I can understand, it may be the most comprehensive MS source code leak ever.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 2:16 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 3.00.14 25Jan1989 alpha
And how to compile it, does anyone know?

Top  Profile  WWW  ICQ
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 3:32 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
xelloss wrote:
I'm quite surprised at how little interest the press has shown in this leak. As far as I can understand, it may be the most comprehensive MS source code leak ever.

I guess because it is a really old version (and not even the final build of it) by now that not many are actually familiar with. Something more recent would definitely attract more attention.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sat May 23, 2020 4:32 pm 

In this case, NT 3.5 isn't really a big deal to Microsoft. However, leaks pertaining to the Xbox source would possibly be damaging, seeing as MS still uses them for backwards compatibility with the Xbox One. Not only that, but the architectural changes in NT 3.5 vs NT 4 are pretty extreme, making this leak essentially worthless for someone looking to create their own NT system.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 12:19 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Win10/Debian Linux
The most interesting part of the nt 3.5 leak is that it appears to contain bits of Cairo in it, including the OFS filesystem driver and utilities for managing OFS volumes.

As for the xbox leak, it appears to be a complete dump from the COMPLEX group, who released a handful of 'hacked' bioses for the xbox back in the day. The leak includes their build scripts as well as improvements and fixes to the 'original' source code.

The NT leak is more interesting. There's bits of Cairo hidden in the source -- the only real build of Cairo that we have is from the NT4 era, but this supersedes that by a couple of years.

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 1:33 am 
Donator

Favourite OS
Windows for Workgroups 3.11
jimmsta wrote:
The NT leak is more interesting. There's bits of Cairo hidden in the source -- the only real build of Cairo that we have is from the NT4 era, but this supersedes that by a couple of years.

I remember very well, at the time when Daytona was still in beta, the press was already talking about Cairo and OFS.
I didn't think we would find parts of Cairo in the Daytona source code, though.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:12 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
xelloss wrote:
I didn't think we would find parts of Cairo in the Daytona source code, though.

It looks like the difference between Cairo and regular NT may have been in simply using a switch when compiling or using a different script.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:09 am 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 7 SP1
jimmsta wrote:
The most interesting part of the nt 3.5 leak is that it appears to contain bits of Cairo in it, including the OFS filesystem driver and utilities for managing OFS volumes.

As for the xbox leak, it appears to be a complete dump from the COMPLEX group, who released a handful of 'hacked' bioses for the xbox back in the day. The leak includes their build scripts as well as improvements and fixes to the 'original' source code.

Do the xbox leak correlate with the development of xbox live itself ?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 3:48 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 98
Andreas wrote:
jimmsta wrote:

Do the xbox leak correlate with the development of xbox live itself ?

I mean Xbox Live was something hosted on a server so probably not

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 5:11 pm 

Very very interesting.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:14 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 2000
Does anybody have any extra information regarding this leak? Any details etc? I could not find anything except copy pastes from verge on many sites.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 10:50 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
It was most likely obtained after someone hacked Microsoft couple years ago. Other than that, I suppose more info on this should not be given in public on this forum.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows NT 3.5 Source Code Leak        Posted: Sun May 24, 2020 11:52 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows NT 3.x
The NT 3.5 leak also has the complete source code of Microsoft Mail, including a XENIX gateway for communicating with Microsoft's internal XENIX mail server that I'm pretty sure never shipped outside MS.

Oh and you can read funny Word documents on Microsoft's progress to get NTVDM working. Apparently they had more than a few issues with the DOS/Win16 support.

Top  Profile