Changing Windows 7 logon background

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
liliwinnt6

Changing Windows 7 logon background

Post by liliwinnt6 »

hello, recently i'm kinda into the logon background of Windows 7 Embedded,
it looked more professional to me.

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .29929.png
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13427

can i replace the normal Windows 7 Ultimate logon background by replacing some certain system files from Windows 7 Embedded to achieve this?
and if it can be done, which files are to be replaced?

thanks
Main Computer:
Asus GL503VS Laptop
Memory: 2 x Samgsung M471A2K43CB1-CRC 16GB DDR4-2400/PC4-19200
HDD: Samsung PM961 256GB + Samsung EVO 860 4TB

File Server:
CPU: Intel XEON E3-1290
Motherboard: ASUS P8H67
GPU: GeForce 9300GE
Memory: 4 x 8GB Crucial Ballistix Tactical LP DDR3-1600/PC3-12800
HDD: WD3200AAJS + WD2003FYYS + WD6001FSYZ + WD/HITACHI DC HC320
PSU: Antec Neo Eco 620W Modular

PlyrStar93

Re: Changing Windows 7 logon background

Post by PlyrStar93 »

regedit
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background
Find REG_DWORD value OEMBackground (create a DWORD 32-bit value if it doesn't exist), change the data to 1

Then go to path C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds (create the subfolders if they don't exist), put up a file named BackgroundDefault.jpg which contains the custom background (it needs to be smaller than 256 KB)

beta.a.brian

Post by beta.a.brian »

#8032forbrian came true

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

liliwinnt6 wrote:hello, recently i'm kinda into the logon background of Windows 7 Embedded,
it looked more professional to me.

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .29929.png
https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=13427

can i replace the normal Windows 7 Ultimate logon background by replacing some certain system files from Windows 7 Embedded to achieve this?
and if it can be done, which files are to be replaced?

thanks
If you don't want to cope with replacing the image, I'll DM you the modified DLL file. Otherwise follow this guide.

Také ownership of authui.dll with TakeOwnershipEx, download Restorator 2018 or Resource Hacker, copy authui.dll (located in C:/Windows/System32) to the desktop, open the copy with the downloaded program, open the BITMAP folder (or PNGFILE, I don't really remember), replace all the variations of the bootscreen with your desired image (it should be converted to a 32 bit BMP formát in case the folder is called BITMAP or to a PNG, depends on the folder name), save changes and rename the default one to authui.dll.bak or anything else, then paste the copy. (I suggest that you better use a systém file replacer utility as you could temporarily brick the systém).

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

liliwinnt6

Post by liliwinnt6 »

PlyrStar93 wrote:regedit
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Authentication\LogonUI\Background
Find REG_DWORD value OEMBackground (create a DWORD 32-bit value if it doesn't exist), change the data to 1
Then go to path C:\Windows\System32\oobe\info\backgrounds (create the subfolders if they don't exist), put up a file named BackgroundDefault.jpg which contains the custom background (it needs to be smaller than 256 KB)
thank you, but i saw this method already,
it requires me to prepare different scales of background for different screen resolutions
so i don't think it would work well.
do you have the way to actually replace the relative system files in order to change the background?
Main Computer:
Asus GL503VS Laptop

File Server:

JimOlive
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Post by JimOlive »

liliwinnt6

Post by liliwinnt6 »

BioMarkII wrote: If you don't want to cope with replacing the image, I'll DM you the modified DLL file. Otherwise follow this guide.
Také ownership of authui.dll with TakeOwnershipEx, download Restorator 2018 or Resource Hacker, copy authui.dll (located in C:/Windows/System32) to the desktop, open the copy with the downloaded program, open the BITMAP folder (or PNGFILE, I don't really remember), replace all the variations of the bootscreen with your desired image (it should be converted to a 32 bit BMP formát in case the folder is called BITMAP or to a PNG, depends on the folder name), save changes and rename the default one to authui.dll.bak or anything else, then paste the copy. (I suggest that you better use a systém file replacer utility as you could temporarily brick the systém).
okay, pending
i'll thank you first
can i just replace the authui.dll with the one from the Windows 7 Embedded?
does this dll contain any wanted background images?
Main Computer:
Asus GL503VS Laptop

File Server:

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

liliwinnt6 wrote:
BioMarkII wrote: If you don't want to cope with replacing the image, I'll DM you the modified DLL file. Otherwise follow this guide.
okay, pending
i'll thank you first
You can't copy the dll directly from a somewhat different edition as it probably won't work because of slight difference in the code.
What you CAN do is extract the image files from it.

liliwinnt6

Post by liliwinnt6 »

BioMarkII wrote:
liliwinnt6 wrote:
okay, pending
i'll thank you first
You can't copy the dll directly from a somewhat different edition as it probably won't work because of slight difference in the code.

how many versions of different resolutions of the background does all authui.dll files have? would you do me a favor to extract all of them and send them to me? thanks
Main Computer:
Asus GL503VS Laptop

File Server:

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

Try Windows 7 Logon Background Changer

liliwinnt6

Post by liliwinnt6 »

YueLing11 wrote:Try Windows 7 Logon Background Changer
i need to know how many background images of different screen resolutions can i have!
now i have a 1024x768 and a 1920x1200 bg, need to have a 1920x1080 at least
Main Computer:
Asus GL503VS Laptop

File Server:

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

liliwinnt6 wrote:
BioMarkII wrote:
liliwinnt6 wrote:
okay, pending
i'll thank you first

how many versions of different resolutions of the background does all authui.dll files have? would you do me a favor to extract all of them and send them to me? thanks
You don't have to pay attention to that. Just replace the images without worrying about anything.

Alphis

Post by Alphis »

doesn't win7 use the copy in IMAGE resource section in imageres.dll by default?
fatal crash intercepted
-says x360

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

Alphis wrote:doesn't win7 use the copy in IMAGE resource section in imageres.dll by default?
Yet again I was stating things without doing research. Sorry.

Yes, it is located in the IMAGE folder of imageres.dll, just like you've explained.