How do I access the CD in emulated Solaris 1.1.2?

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
vlad557776

How do I access the CD in emulated Solaris 1.1.2?

Post by vlad557776 »

Hello.

So I recently got myself into Xerox stuff and now trying to install Xerox Globalview for X 1.05.

I got up a SunOS 4.1.4 (Solaris 1.1.2) install on QEMU-SPARC, but now I can't figure out how to access the CD with install files. There's no /cdrom or /dev/cdrom.

Please help!
The developer of Win1 Packet - https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40233
The developer of IM1024 INSTALL.BAT Patch: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40317

Darkstar
Donator

Re: How do I access the CD in emulated Solaris 1.1.2?

Post by Darkstar »

You mount CD ROMs via their Solaris device name. The device name depends on the SCSI ID of your CD ROM drive. It is usually /dev/dsk/c1t6d0 or something similar. Depending on the filesystem on the CD (it's not always ISO9660), you might have to add a slice, as in /dev/dsk/c1t6d0s0. You can get the device names by using iostat -n.
This is all from memory so it might not work 100% but should get you on the right track...
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

X25

Post by X25 »

vlad557776 wrote:Hello.

So I recently got myself into Xerox stuff and now trying to install Xerox Globalview for X 1.05.

I got up a SunOS 4.1.4 (Solaris 1.1.2) install on QEMU-SPARC, but now I can't figure out how to access the CD with install files. There's no /cdrom or /dev/cdrom.

Please help!
Hello,

If memory serves the CDROM will end up on /dev/srX in SunOS 4. You can probably see which number with the dmesg command.

In order to mount the CD you need to use FS-type HSFS (High Sierra File System). Try something like mount -t hsfs -o ro /dev/srX /mnt.

Best of luck!

IBlowMyMind

Post by IBlowMyMind »

Hello,

I was just trying the same thing (installing GVX 1.05) when I stumbled upon this thread!
The CDROM emulation in QEMU when running SunOS 4.1.4 doesn't work for some reason (that's why the installer uses a workaround by mounting the CDROM as a secondary hard drive, however, this trick doesn't work when installing GlobalView and it doesn't mount, I don't know why!), so the way I did to install it was to mount the ISO, copy everything from the ISO to a directory, add the directory to a tar archive, use a TAP bridge to connect to the host and send the tar file over RCP (the guide to RCP can be found on this link, https://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/QEMU/SunOS_4.1.4#Network, just follow the Guest Config steps, set up the TAP device from the section a bit below, and use a command something like this: "sudo rcp GV.tar 10.0.2.15:/home", the /home here is the path on the guest to copy to, replace GV.tar with the filename of your tar archive) to /home (chose that mount since it had the most space), extract it, make sure OpenWindows is running, from the Command Tool go to the XIST directory in the extracted directory and run "xist" there, choose "UNIX Directory" from the location selector and enter the path to the "installdir" folder in the field, and hit the button. From there you can install it successfully and after a reboot it should work! (Technically. I don't have a demo key for it so can't really test, it just terminates GlobalView on startup. Or maybe that's because it can't find an XNS server? I don't know. I'll try to find a way to run it with https://github.com/devhawala/dodo (a modern XNS server implementation in Java, really awesome work, go check it out!) to see if it works, however it's probably unlikely that I'll find a way. So if you do manage to get it to the boot screen, let me know!)

-blw