Attempting to get the hidden Aurora boot screen on Windows 7

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
TiberiumBetas

Attempting to get the hidden Aurora boot screen on Windows 7

Post by TiberiumBetas »

I have decided to do a little thing in quarantine: get the Windows Vista hidden Aurora bootscreen on Windows 7. Obviously I decided to do a experiment on a virtual machine.

In Windows 7, the "No GUI Boot" has returned to a black screen, which meant the Vista images haven't made it to the final cut. The only success I managed here is that the Aurora image shows at startup, but Windows has not booted.

Here's what I did:
1. Replaced the "winload.exe.mui" and "winload.efi.mui" files in en-US with Vista variants
2. Rebooted the VM, still no image in "No GUI Boot". Windows starts up successfully.
3. Replaced the "winload.exe" and "winload.efi" files with Vista equivalents in system32.
4. Upon starting Windows, the Windows Vista "hidden" bootscreen is shown on Windows 7, but fails to properly start the VM and instead goes into a reboot loop.

The reason why it reboots is because, yeah. Windows 7 and Vista are a different story when it comes to this, but I wonder if it's still possible to get the "hidden" bootscreen on 7? I know Windows 7 Boot Updater exists, but considering that my PC is EFI, I can't use that.

classiconthebox

Re: Attempting to get the hidden Aurora boot screen on Windo

Post by classiconthebox »

How about before replacing winload, you simply enable the NTOSKRNL boot method, which will use the default Vista bootscreen?

Simply open a CMD window as an admin, and type "bcdedit /set {current} bootux basic".

Dz3n

Post by Dz3n »

classiconthebox wrote:How about before replacing winload, you simply enable the NTOSKRNL boot method, which will use the default Vista bootscreen?

Simply open a CMD window as an admin, and type "bcdedit /set {current} bootux basic".
He's about to use hidden Vista boot screen.

===

Also you could check Windows 7 build 6608 boot screen:

and 6730 boot screen:

===

UPD: The reason why Vista uses /noguiboot to show hi-color boot screen is the incomplete compatiblity for VESA boot driver. Both Vista boot screens are incomplete, but Microsoft prefered to use a VGA one.

picadito

Post by picadito »

classiconthebox wrote:
Also you could check Windows 7 build 6608 boot screen:

could this be ported to 7601? :o
Last edited by picadito on Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dz3n

Post by Dz3n »

picadito wrote:
Thu Jun 11, 2020 10:07 pm
could this be ported to 7601? :o
try it yourself :P

KBCE

Re: Attempting to get the hidden Aurora boot screen on Windows 7

Post by KBCE »

You can try to replace the splash screen of Windows7 build 6608 or 6730 with sp1 or rtm