Windows Longhorn Build 4032 Error

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
TheBetaFan18329

Windows Longhorn Build 4032 Error

Post by TheBetaFan18329 »

Hi everyone!

I installed Windows Longhorn Build 4032 in VMware Workstation 14 by using 4033’s iso with 4032’s install.wim file and after the first part of setup completes, I get an error that says C:\WINDOWS\System32\Config\System is missing or corrupt. :(

Can someone help please?

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .66645.png

andrian1994

Re: Windows Longhorn Build 4032 Eoor

Post by andrian1994 »

Did you modified your iso by yourself?
Or using Longhorn Packet?

“Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

BioMarkII

Re: Windows Longhorn Build 4032 Eoor

Post by BioMarkII »

No need for such a complicated way to install something.

Use Longhorn Packet 1.21. It's pretty easy to inject into a Longhorn ISO. The guide is here too.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: Windows Longhorn Build 4032 Error

Post by yourepicfailure »

Aw geez, nobody seems to have paid attention to my ramblings. I don't blame you.

The only thing required to install 4032 is to use 4033's iso bootcode. Basically use something like MagicISO or PowerISO to delete the bootcode, save 4033's bootcode, and then use that to make the 4032 image bootable again.
PE transplant is needed for the other builds. 4032's is completely intact.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

yourepicfailure wrote:Aw geez, nobody seems to have paid attention to my ramblings. I don't blame you.

The only thing required to install 4032 is to use 4033's iso bootcode. Basically use something like MagicISO or PowerISO to delete the bootcode, save 4033's bootcode, and then use that to make the 4032 image bootable again.
Isn't it easier to use the Packet? Speaking theorically as I haven't tried installing 4032.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Nope, all pre-reset builds works fine with its own WinPE except for build 4011 which is missing some exports making it impossible to type into the product key text box. You just need the correct boot sector and CDIMAGE parameter to make it work.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Ah so the FTP images with broken WinSXS were fixed? Nice.
Care to elaborate a little more on:
ComputerHunter wrote:You just need the correct boot sector and CDIMAGE parameter to make it work.
Such as what bootcode you recommend? Or is this already in the release readmes.
I don't want to sound stupid, but you've spent more time than I fixing build images.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

yourepicfailure wrote:Ah so the FTP images with broken WinSXS were fixed? Nice.
Care to elaborate a little more on:
ComputerHunter wrote:You just need the correct boot sector and CDIMAGE parameter to make it work.
Such as what bootcode you recommend? Or is this already in the release readmes.
I don't want to sound stupid, but you've spent more time than I fixing build images.
Well, there is only 1 bootcode for WIM based pre-reset x86 Longhorn builds... The leaked build 4032 doesn't even have a bootcode. You could say it does and it is located at offset 14FE00 but it won't show up in 7-Zip. I went through the bootcode and it appears to be the bootcode of an I386 based ISO. It only searches for files in the i386 directory, not the boot directory.

Earlier builds tends to have WinPE in the boot folder, both setupldr.bin and bootfix.bin are there so it will load those which boots into WinPE. Later pre-reset builds got the WinPE inside install.wim but doesn't change the fact that setupldr.bin and bootfix.bin are still in the boot folder. The same bootcode will do for most pre-reset builds :) .

TheBetaFan18329

Post by TheBetaFan18329 »

BioMarkII wrote:
yourepicfailure wrote:Aw geez, nobody seems to have paid attention to my ramblings. I don't blame you.

Isn't it easier to use the Packet? Speaking theorically as I haven't tried installing 4032.

Sent from my Redmi Note 7 using Tapatalk
I tried to use the Longhorn Packet for build 4032 and I still get the error. :(

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

There's an alternative way to install it - by upgrading from 4029. It worked for me.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

TheBetaFan18329 wrote:I tried to use the Longhorn Packet for build 4032 and I still get the error. :(
That error is not related to which WinPE you use. You should remove all partitions from your virtual hard drive and install it again. Looks like Setup didn't expand all files correctly so maybe you should consider downloading the build again in case install.wim was corrupted. I have made a rebuilt ISO which is 100% working with the correct boot sector and CDIMAGE parameters, you can PM me for it.

BioMarkII

Post by BioMarkII »

ComputerHunter wrote:
TheBetaFan18329 wrote:I tried to use the Longhorn Packet for build 4032 and I still get the error. :(
That error is not related to which WinPE you use. You should remove all partitions from your virtual hard drive and install it again. Looks like Setup didn't expand all files correctly so maybe you should consider downloading the build again in case install.wim was corrupted. I have made a rebuilt ISO which is 100% working with the correct boot sector and CDIMAGE parameters, you can PM me for it.
Could ye provide it for me too? I'd be thankful. PM'd ya.