Mac OS X DP2 won't boot properly after installation

Discuss OS X and OS X Server.
os9er

Mac OS X DP2 won't boot properly after installation

Post by os9er »

Hi all,

I'm new to this forum, but it seems like an appropriate place for this question I have... I have downloaded Mac OS X Developer Preview 2 from a different site, and have been attempting to install it on a PowerBook G3 Lombard. The issue I'm consistently running into is this: the installation will go smoothly, but after rebooting into the installed system, it hangs right before the Setup Assistant should be launched. The mouse cursor is still movable, but there's nothing else on the screen - just the blue background. If anyone has any pointers as to why this is happening, and/or whether there's a workaround, it would be greatly appreciated. Of course, I'm not going to use it regularly, but such alphas/betas are kind of fun to mess with.

Thanks,
-os9er

tarquin44

Re: Mac OS X DP2 won't boot properly after installation

Post by tarquin44 »

If you're just wanting to run DP2 for fun, it installs and runs well in QEMU. I have it running in QEMU on Windows 10, if you want I can post the configuration.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

I think DP2 would only run on a beige g3 or an early blue and white.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

Aaaaaa nuuu cheeki breeki i v damke!
mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

os9er

Post by os9er »

Thanks for replying... The installation manual says it can run on any PowerBook G3 except the original 1997 model, so I figured I'd try it on my Lombard... As for QEMU, I have it installed on my PC, I just don't especially like having to start it via the command-line. However, if you could post your configuration @tarquin44, I'll try it.

Thanks,
-os9er

tarquin44

Post by tarquin44 »

Firstly you'll need to create a 2G drive with

qemu-img.exe create -f raw -o size=2G dp2.img

You then need to initiallise the disk in Mac OS9, (I used Mac OS 9.1 in QEMU). Then launch QEMU with:

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot d -m 512 -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "boot-device=cd:9,\\:tbxi" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=dp2.iso,format=raw,media=cdrom -drive file=dp2.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

When it's finished installing shut down QEMU and boot into the hard disk with:

qemu-system-ppc.exe -L pc-bios -boot c -m 512 -M g3beige -cpu g3 -prom-env "auto-boot?=true" -prom-env "boot-args=-v" -prom-env "vga-ndrv?=true" -drive file=dp2.img,format=raw,media=disk -sdl -netdev user,id=network01 -device sungem,netdev=network01

That will do it.

os9er

Post by os9er »

Thanks tarquin44, it's working thus far. I had to change the machine type from "g3beige" to "mac99" in order to boot into OS 9, though - before doing that, QEMU-PPC's OpenBIOS gave an error saying "This image is not for this platform". One problem I'd forgotten QEMU had on my system that's rather annoying, too, is that, in OS 9, the mouse cursor always wants to glitch into the corners of the emulated screen; I have never figured out why it does that, or how to work around it. Still, though, I think it'll be workable. I think this thread can be considered "resolved".

Thanks,
-os9er

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

My OS 9 install doesn’t have that problem
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

Aaaaaa nuuu cheeki breeki i v damke!
mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.