Microsoft use Debian to host their Linux repository

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
compact-mac
Donator

Microsoft use Debian to host their Linux repository

Post by compact-mac »

An interesting find from the other day.

I noticed that Microsoft have an APT package repository and saw this at the root index: Nginx default install page.

It seems that they are using Debian and Nginx to host their Linux package repository! I would have expected them to use IIS to make a point that Windows and Linux can coexist and support each other happily. Perhaps I should email them to get on that! *hehe*
CM's Old Website
Post Tenebras Spero Lucem
Forget DNS/HTTPS or DNS/TLS, the future is DNS over Avian.

Stannieman

Re: Microsoft use Debian to host their Linux repository

Post by Stannieman »

Or it is Windows but it tells you it's Debian. This is sometimes done to mislead hackers.

But yeah, most likely it is indeed Debian.
If ur a pirate, say arrr!

rbshep

Post by rbshep »

It probably actually is a Debian userland, but running under Hyper-V (the kernel might be their own a la WSL). I believe that's how they host Linux VPS's on their Azure cloud.

Does anyone really bother to change headers and default error pages these days?

compact-mac
Donator

Post by compact-mac »

rbshep wrote:It probably actually is a Debian userland, but running under Hyper-V (the kernel might be their own a la WSL). I believe that's how they host Linux VPS's on their Azure cloud.
Yeah Azure is Windows-based, as you'd expect. It uses a customised Hyper-V instance to virtualise Linux. So this being on their own cloud is probably a good guess. If we knew the range of static IPv4 addresses allocated to Azure, this hypothesis could be confirmed.
rbshep wrote:Does anyone really bother to change headers and default error pages these days?
If they had a sense of humour they'd change it to one of those old IE "The page cannot be displayed" screens.
CM's Old Website
Post Tenebras Spero Lucem
Forget DNS/HTTPS or DNS/TLS, the future is DNS over Avian.