(XP 2419) Service database locked error on driver install

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
leppy232

(XP 2419) Service database locked error on driver install

Post by leppy232 »

Well, in quotes since the drivers never install. I'm trying to play around with Whistler on an old laptop, and got some Windows 2000 drivers for it, but after installing them and rebooting (which I have to do in safe mode, as a regular boot gives me a 0xD1 driver irql error) they weren't installed and give me the error "The service database is locked". And now my USB drive isn't being recognized, either.

The laptop is a Dell Inspiron 2200, by the way.

louisw3

Re: (XP 2419) Service database locked error on driver instal

Post by louisw3 »

Sounds a lot like incompatible drivers.

If it traps in regular mode, how was it going to work in safe mode?

The dB is typically locked when its loading and doing startup tasks.

Either wait 10+ minutes, or just reinstall and try different drivers.

Although for a beta I wouldn't put too much faith in it loading any production drivers it didn't ship with
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

leppy232

Re: (XP 2419) Service database locked error on driver instal

Post by leppy232 »

louisw3 wrote:Sounds a lot like incompatible drivers.

If it traps in regular mode, how was it going to work in safe mode?

The dB is typically locked when its loading and doing startup tasks.

Either wait 10+ minutes, or just reinstall and try different drivers.

Although for a beta I wouldn't put too much faith in it loading any production drivers it didn't ship with
Sure, I'll wait the time and see if that works. Incidentally, when I tried to sc lock and then u, it spat out an overlapping i/o message, so that seems to give some evidence to that. I tried installing Windows 2000 and the drivers on there, but I completely forgot about the fact that 2000 SP4 is newer than 2419...

Edit: it didn't. Further reading tells me that 2419 is buggy in a way other 241x builds aren't, so I burned 2416 to a disc and tried to install, but it just froze during text setup and I didn't even get to start.