The site is going so slow it doesn't load at all sometimes

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
MSUser2013
Donator

The site is going so slow it doesn't load at all sometimes

Post by MSUser2013 »

Hello, it's been a long time since I've posted here. Anyways, I'm having a major issue browsing this forum. Most of the time, it loads really slowly, and sometime it flat out refuses to load (my browser doesn't show any errors, it just stops loading after a minute or so of saying "Waiting for www.betaarchive.com..." on the bottom left corner). Why is this happening? Other sites load fine, so it's not my internet connection.

I'm using Firefox 72.0.2. Is anybody else having this issue or is it just me?

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: The site is going so slow it doesn't load at all sometim

Post by yourepicfailure »

Probably BA's host relative to our location. When I was still in Germany, I remember it being faster.

On a ping I average about 176ms from three pings, 12% loss.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

win32

Post by win32 »

I average 159ms with 0% loss. It takes no more than three seconds to load here in eastern Canada on what is effectively a 18mbps connection.
What is the name of the application software guaranteed to make your computer faster?

Quicken.

JimOlive
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Post by JimOlive »

I have no problem here in Winnipeg. Can't help but notice you're using Firefox instead of Chrome.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Try running our speedtest to see if there are any connection issues: https://www.betaarchive.com/speedtest/

Enaske

Post by Enaske »

20 ms here with 400 Down and 200 up as usual.

Winins

Post by Winins »

Average 79ms, 0% loss.
Offtopic Comment
This can be a good social topic to post ping.
You have never seen Windows like this!
FREE Windows 3.2!
Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

Winins wrote:
Offtopic Comment
This can be a good social topic to post ping.
I don't see how this is relevant at all. I asked OP to post their details so I could see if there was any issue for them. It means nothing otherwise - it's not a competition to see who has the lowest ping.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

JimOlive wrote:I have no problem here in Winnipeg. Can't help but notice you're using Firefox instead of Chrome.
And how would using Chrome help improve connectivity? It doesn't.

Used the Ping test recommended by Andy. Tested on a -54dbm 4G connection from my phone, very close results.

I'm thinking the routing and routing and underwater cables may be introducing some latency to users living outside Europe.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

Andy wrote:Try running our speedtest to see if there are any connection issues: https://www.betaarchive.com/speedtest/
Okay, here are my results:

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Here are a few quick things you can try:
- Opening a "private" window to rule out any browser extensions or data
- Clearing your dns cache, both in Windows and in Firefox.
- Changing your dns provider from your ISP to Cloudfare (1.1.1.1) or Google (8.8.8.8)
- Making sure malicious or unwanted software is not installed on your machine.
- Rebooting your computer
- Rebooting your router / modem / gateway
- Resetting or creating a fresh new Firefox profile

If that doesn't help, then we can try this to narrow down where the issue is by:
- Visiting BA from a different web browser
- Visiting BA from a different device
- Visiting BA from a different internet connection
MSUser2013 wrote:Other sites load fine, so it's not my internet connection.
Not necessarily. It's possible that your ISP throttles traffic to BA, since it is classified as a file sharing site. We can try to work around this by changing your dns as mentioned above.
yourepicfailure wrote:And how would using Chrome help improve connectivity? It doesn't.
In my experience, old Firefox could sometimes have weird caching issues that cause it to lock up in the way op described. Since we're troubleshooting, we might as well rule out everything.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

I’m using Safari with 2G speed data (I ran out of high speed for this month) and it loads in about 5-10 seconds here in Wisconsin.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

Andy
Administrator

Post by Andy »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:I’m using Safari with 2G speed data (I ran out of high speed for this month) and it loads in about 5-10 seconds here in Wisconsin.
I'm glad to hear that. The site was specifically optimised a long time ago so that it works on 2G, even if it is a bit slow still!

MSUser2013
Donator

Post by MSUser2013 »

I've had this problem again earlier today. Here's what I've tried so far from the advise given by MrBurgerKing's post:
MrBurgerKing wrote:Here are a few quick things you can try:
- Opening a "private" window to rule out any browser extensions or data
- Changing your dns provider from your ISP to Cloudfare (1.1.1.1) or Google (8.8.8.8)
- Making sure malicious or unwanted software is not installed on your machine.
- Rebooting your computer

If that doesn't help, then we can try this to narrow down where the issue is by:
- Visiting BA from a different web browser
- Visiting BA from a different device
Firefox would in most cases just give up loading the page after a minute or so. Internet Explorer 11 did the same, except it would give up after about 10 seconds. Microsoft Edge displayed a "Can't Reach this page" error, and Google Chrome displayed an error page with the "ERR_CONNECTION_TIMED_OUT" error code. Whenever I tried to access betaarchive.co.uk on Firefox when this happened, I got the "Hmm. We're having trouble finding this site" error after three minutes of attempting to load. After restarting my computer, I got the site to load finally. Oddly enough, I used a different computer to test the site using all of the browsers mentioned and it still didn't work obviously, yet when I restarted the computer that I'm typing this on, the site worked again.

I ran the speedtest again, the results were 1.84Mbps download (lower), 2.85Mbps upload (higher), 200.63 ms ping (slower), and 11.54 ms jitter.

Has anyone else been noticing downtimes with accessing this site recently or is it just me?

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

BA still works just fine for me.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.