Change theme in Windows XP Starter Edition

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
YueLing11

Change theme in Windows XP Starter Edition

Post by YueLing11 »

BetaWiki wrote:The Luna theme cannot be activated since the tab to change the theme is removed. However, the file is still available and can be used via registry modification.
How to change theme in Windows XP Starter Edition?

Lucas Brooks

Re: Change theme in Windows XP Starter Edition

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Try this and no promise it will work. I managed to get Luna but that was a year ago or more and can't remember the details. I really don't want to install Windows XP Starter Edition again.

Code: Select all

Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Policies\System]
"SetVisualStyle"="C:\Windows\Resources\Themes\Luna.theme"

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

Almost certainly it won't work. One of the Starter components actively checks for any modifications in some of the registry entries (for example you can't launch classic Start Menu).

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Maybe try to patch winlogon.exe to remove the integrity check of ediskeer.dll and replace ediskeer.dll with a dummy DLL. I was able to get Luna and other things to work before and just don't remember how and I can't be bothered to install Windows XP Starter Edition again.

oscareczek

Post by oscareczek »

You can actually install Home Edition using Starter disc, just remove one inf with starter in name, in layout.inf remove references to that file and install minlogon since it turns Starter triggers.

julia425646

Post by julia425646 »

You can't change a themes on Starter Edition. You need to install Home/Pro version to change a themes/
Julia425646

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

That means it is not Starter Edition anymore... Removing the Starter Edition components is like removing Tablet PC components in Windows XP Tablet PC Edition. I really don't think this is a good idea because YueLing11 probably wants Starter Edition with Luna rather than an ordinary Home Edition.

wyf180

Post by wyf180 »

You needn't install organial starter,you only need to copy startoc.inf in C:\Windows\inf,than run rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\startoc.inf,Starter in cmd than locat to STARTOC.CAB in Starter disk.The Starter components can run on every version of xp including professional and home or flp without any regedit hack.

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

wyf180 wrote:You needn't install organial starter,you only need to copy startoc.inf in C:\Windows\inf,than run rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\startoc.inf,Starter in cmd than locat to STARTOC.CAB in Starter disk.The Starter components can run on every version of xp including professional and home or flp without any regedit hack.
I'm interested in this can you explain in steps on how to do this? tutorial maybe?

wyf180

Post by wyf180 »

1.Insert starter CD.
2.Copy startoc.in_ from CD i386 to desktop.Expend it to get startoc.inf with winrar.
3.Copy startoc.inf to %windir%\inf.
4.Run rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\startoc.inf,Starter in cmd .
5.When noticing lossing files,locate to CD:\CMPNENTS\STARTER\I386\STARTOC.CAB.
6.Reboot computer and the starter components could be run on every versions of xp.

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

can the luna theme still be used after this? just wandering

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

No. The official Starter Edition is just Starter Edition components integrated into Windows XP Home Edition SP2 and if you integrate it into another version of Windows XP, the same thing is going to happen - it will turn into Starter Edition.

wyf180

Post by wyf180 »

ComputerHunter wrote:No. The official Starter Edition is just Starter Edition components integrated into Windows XP Home Edition SP2 and if you integrate it into another version of Windows XP, the same thing is going to happen - it will turn into Starter Edition.
NO,starter edition components can run on every version of xp including flp.However the regedit key [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\WPA\Starter] "Installed"=dword:00000001 will set limitations to xp.

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

wyf180 wrote:
Mon Feb 10, 2020 4:09 am
1.Insert starter CD.
2.Copy startoc.in_ from CD i386 to desktop.Expend it to get startoc.inf with winrar.
3.Copy startoc.inf to %windir%\inf.
4.Run rundll32 advpack.dll,LaunchINFSection %windir%\inf\startoc.inf,Starter in cmd .
5.When noticing lossing files,locate to CD:\CMPNENTS\STARTER\I386\STARTOC.CAB.
6.Reboot computer and the starter components could be run on every versions of xp.
ive tried this and cant get it to work.
anyway you could post a .cmd that would make this work? im interested in this.thanks