Photos stacked by camera models in Windows Vista

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Maza

Photos stacked by camera models in Windows Vista

Post by Maza »

This was previously discussed at the BetaArchive Wiki, but it of course will not warrant its own article (and it is the intent to illustrate it here).

In Windows Vista, it is possible to stack photos by camera models (to see photos taken with a specific camera).

Similarly, one can stack photos by camera manufacturers if that is instead desired.
These capabilities allow for some interesting scenarios. Users can find photos from a particular camera but one could also, by way of example, have a dynamically generated view of photos taken with a SONY camera as new photos are imported. These capabilities are also applicable to photos taken with smartphones (e.g., "all photos taken with a OnePlus" or "all photos from the iPhone 5").
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

TwilyDev

Re: Photos stacked by camera models in Windows Vista

Post by TwilyDev »

Hm, sounds cool :)
Thinking of the past...

Now I'm on Escargot! Just add me on your contacts using my e-mail (The MSNM button after my signature) and chat me away!

Code: Select all

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

Ah yes, I did use this feature quite frequently. Back when I did not organize my film vs digital images (or even any organization at all), I used this feature with my images which I placed the metadata in. I typically batch processed them on Photoshop which added the camera model (I used 3 film cameras and two digital at the time, now only one film camera and one digital) depending on which script I chose. So I placed everything into one folder, and just stacked them by whatever I was looking for. Like I would pull out a film negative, want to see it, then go into the massive folder and just stack. I did imprint the dates onto the first image shot per day and the last shot on a roll in the case of film knowing this was how I worked so I would know the date range to look for, based on the scan time. Knowing I typically developed and scanned within a week after a roll's completion. I also left notes on the negative carrier corresponding to specific bits of information, as well as related metadata I would add during the batch process to assist in finding images later (e.g. roll purpose, place in series if applicable, film type). Digital embedded much that into the raws and jpegs automatically so I didn't have to blow exposures in that case.
When I began using better file hygiene, this again came in very handy when organizing the older images to match my new organization plans. Not to mention in part my heavy use of metadata.

IIRC it was also possible to stack by image properties such as shutter speeds, fstops and ISO speed settings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you could also stack by lens data (e.g. model)?
I didn't typically classify my film images with those settings as the only camera I had that could store those was my F90X and it was rather painful to pull them from the MF26 back and manually add them to each scan. For photo competitions and jobs, however, I did add much of that metadata.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

no1

Post by no1 »

Honestly surprised a feature like this didn't make it into 10. Or really any other OS for that matter.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

It is because MS de-emphasized heavy use of metadata in Windows past 7.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Maza

Post by Maza »

yourepicfailure wrote:Ah yes, I did use this feature quite frequently. Back when I did not organize my film vs digital images (or even any organization at all), I used this feature with my images which I placed the metadata in. I typically batch processed them on Photoshop which added the camera model (I used 3 film cameras and two digital at the time, now only one film camera and one digital) depending on which script I chose. So I placed everything into one folder, and just stacked them by whatever I was looking for. Like I would pull out a film negative, want to see it, then go into the massive folder and just stack. I did imprint the dates onto the first image shot per day and the last shot on a roll in the case of film knowing this was how I worked so I would know the date range to look for, based on the scan time. Knowing I typically developed and scanned within a week after a roll's completion. I also left notes on the negative carrier corresponding to specific bits of information, as well as related metadata I would add during the batch process to assist in finding images later (e.g. roll purpose, place in series if applicable, film type). Digital embedded much that into the raws and jpegs automatically so I didn't have to blow exposures in that case.
When I began using better file hygiene, this again came in very handy when organizing the older images to match my new organization plans. Not to mention in part my heavy use of metadata.

IIRC it was also possible to stack by image properties such as shutter speeds, fstops and ISO speed settings. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe you could also stack by lens data (e.g. model)?
I didn't typically classify my film images with those settings as the only camera I had that could store those was my F90X and it was rather painful to pull them from the MF26 back and manually add them to each scan. For photo competitions and jobs, however, I did add much of that metadata.
This was a beautiful post—thank you so very much. I wish there were a 'like' function because I would use it a thousand times.

You are correct in that exposure speeds, f-stops, and ISO speed settings are stackable (as are flash modes, focal lengths, and light sources). "Lens maker" and "lens model" are not stackable properties.
no1 wrote:Honestly surprised a feature like this didn't make it into 10. Or really any other OS for that matter.
This is technically still possible—but not at all available—in later versions of Windows. Because Microsoft—starting with Windows 7—removed so much of the Search and Organize vision, the only realistic way to stack by these properties is to create a Saved Search in Windows Vista and then use it in Windows 7 or later (the only alternative would be to create the Saved Search by hand since stacking by metadata properties other than those in Libraries was removed from the Windows Shell).

Not even the Pictures Library provides those properties as options.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

XDude
Donator

Post by XDude »

Too bad the concept of WinFS originally intended for Longhorn/Vista never flew. This is what's left of that idea.