"An Example of Real-World People Near Me"

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Maza

"An Example of Real-World People Near Me"

Post by Maza »

Listed below is an example use and scenario of People Near Me (as described in the 2006 MSDN article "Peer To Peer: Harness The Power Of P2P Communication In Windows Vista And WCF"). The scenario relies on the sample PictureViewer application shared by the author (though it was not necessary to use PictureViewer to collaborate with contacts across a network or the Internet with People Near Me). Emphasis (when added) is mine.

I am posting this to raise awareness of the detail that collaboration across the Internet—and presence monitoring—were possible with People Near Me (and its associated technologies) in Windows Vista. Note that the scenario relies on each user adding each other as a Trusted Contact (another "Longhorn" detail).
An Example of Real-World People Near Me

PNM, while it contains an executable, requires another application to leverage its capability.

The following scenario illustrates how PictureViewer can use PNM to provide collaborative features:

Tom installs PictureViewer on his new notebook computer running Windows Vista. The installer registers PictureViewer with PNM.

Tom takes his notebook computer to a coffee shop and signs in to PNM. When he is signed in, p2phost.exe begins discovering other nodes in the PNM mesh.

Harry, who also installed PictureViewer, is also at the coffee shop with his notebook computer. When Harry signs in to PNM, his instance of p2phost.exe begins discovering other nodes in the PNM mesh.

Harry and Tom were high school classmates and have not seen each other in many years. They recognize each other from across the room, and begin a conversation. Harry offers to show Tom pictures of his family.

When searching for the pictures, Harry realizes that he hasn’t downloaded the latest pictures of his family from his camera, and he offers to show Tom the pictures later.

Tom decides to show Harry some photos of his family, and starts PictureViewer. Since PictureViewer is integrated with PNM, he invites Harry, through PictureViewer, to look at pictures of his family.

After Tom sends the invitation to Harry, Harry receives a notification on his taskbar that Tom has invited him to start PictureViewer.

Harry accepts the invitation, and PNM starts PictureViewer. After PictureViewer starts, pictures of Tom’s family appear on Harry’s instance of PictureViewer.

Harry promises to show Tom the pictures of his family in the future through PictureViewer. To this end, Harry adds Tom to his contact list by selecting menu items in PictureViewer. Tom does the same.

Some time in the future, Harry and Tom are both away on business trips in different cities. Harry signs in to PNM and opens PictureViewer. He immediately notices that Tom has signed in to PNM also.

Since Harry has downloaded the latest pictures of his family, he invites Tom, through PictureViewer, to take a look at the pictures.

Tom receives and accepts Harry’s invitation. Upon the acceptance of the invitation, PNM launches the PictureViewer app. After PictureViewer starts, Tom sees the long-awaited pictures of Harry’s family.

While PictureViewer may not be the most efficient means to share photos, this story sufficiently tells the PNM story. In each of these steps, PictureViewer is leveraging a different part of the PNM API.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

TwilyDev

Re: "An Example of Real-World People Near Me"

Post by TwilyDev »

Maza wrote:Harry promises to show Tom the pictures of his family in the future through PictureViewer. To this end, Harry adds Tom to his contact list by selecting menu items in PictureViewer. Tom does the same.

Some time in the future, Harry and Tom are both away on business trips in different cities. Harry signs in to PNM and opens PictureViewer. He immediately notices that Tom has signed in to PNM also.

Since Harry has downloaded the latest pictures of his family, he invites Tom, through PictureViewer, to take a look at the pictures.

Tom receives and accepts Harry’s invitation. Upon the acceptance of the invitation, PNM launches the PictureViewer app. After PictureViewer starts, Tom sees the long-awaited pictures of Harry’s family.
Offtopic Comment
Kinda like a concept of WhatsApp, in 05/06 :)
Thinking of the past...

Now I'm on Escargot! Just add me on your contacts using my e-mail (The MSNM button after my signature) and chat me away!

Code: Select all

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

dj_cityboy

Post by dj_cityboy »

man, thank you so much for posting about this, over the last month or two i have been messing with Karl's Sidebar again which has a "people near me" tile available that was created by Daniel and although the tile was awesome it didn't really work for me as i was never in the same network as someone else (might be cool if you hook up with people in the "real word" though) Daniel made a pretty good a post about it back in 2008 on his blog (i believe its his?):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archiv ... or-sidebar

I forgot about the tile and Karl's Sidebar for the longest time.... is anyone else still using Karl's sidebar? since AeroXP shut down its hard to find any info about the Sidebar and if people are still using it..or creating tiles for it.

peas
cityboy

no1

Post by no1 »

Wow I sorta wish this got re-implemented into Windows10. I can see this being extremely useful to some people.

Maza

Post by Maza »

dj_cityboy wrote:man, thank you so much for posting about this, over the last month or two i have been messing with Karl's Sidebar again which has a "people near me" tile available that was created by Daniel and although the tile was awesome it didn't really work for me as i was never in the same network as someone else (might be cool if you hook up with people in the "real word" though) Daniel made a pretty good a post about it back in 2008 on his blog (i believe its his?):

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/archiv ... or-sidebar

I forgot about the tile and Karl's Sidebar for the longest time.... is anyone else still using Karl's sidebar? since AeroXP shut down its hard to find any info about the Sidebar and if people are still using it..or creating tiles for it.

peas
cityboy
Thank you for responding.

It was used after creating 23 different accounts on a separate computer in an attempt to recreate the image in the patent "System and method for a user interface directed to discovering and publishing presence information on a network".

"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

dj_cityboy

Post by dj_cityboy »

"System and method for a user interface directed to discovering and publishing presence information on a network".

dude the stuff at this ^^^^^^ link is pretty crazy, the images are awesome i went through the 18 images but there are way to many patents to look through and read, thanks for adding this link and that Fig#3 document is sweet looking and i love those other screenshots as well, i've never been on that site before, i am going to do some digging around to see what i can find.

peas
cityboy