Problem with AT&T System V

Discussions about *nix and Other Operating Systems should go in this forum.
TwilyDev

Problem with AT&T System V

Post by TwilyDev »

Hello,
Offtopic Comment
Me again :D
I somehow found this OS while exploring my hard drive. I try to install it. But umm... :o

Well, VirtualBox only has 4MB of RAM. Should I try PCem?

Offtopic Comment
Don't worry, I have Wine and PCem runs well, but very slow. (Emulation speed only around 20-30%).
Is there a way to make the emulation faster?
Wait, HD controller, right? I swap IDE to SCSI, it also didn't work :(

Thinking of the past...

Now I'm on Escargot! Just add me on your contacts using my e-mail (The MSNM button after my signature) and chat me away!

Code: Select all

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

vlad557776

Re: Problem with AT&T System V

Post by vlad557776 »

Try PCem. VBox is buggy and doesn't work sometimes with AT&T UNIX. I think I was searching through comments on a tutorial video about this OS trying to find the images, someone had the same problem. Never got fixed - but the creator offered his image.

And I'm running UNIX with 32 MB of RAM.
The developer of Win1 Packet - https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40233
The developer of IM1024 INSTALL.BAT Patch: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40317

TwilyDev

Post by TwilyDev »

vlad557776 wrote:Try PCem.
Okay, I'll do it. :)
Thinking of the past...

Now I'm on Escargot! Just add me on your contacts using my e-mail (The MSNM button after my signature) and chat me away!

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Last time I tried it worked fine in both PCem and Varcem, so yeah, try with those, should work
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

TwilyDev

Post by TwilyDev »

Thank you all, it's working. :)
Although, one question.

Hm? 8-)
Thinking of the past...

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

So... what is your question?

In any case, I would suggest using a lowercase system name as some of the early UNIX versions were quite picky with upper-case letters in the hostname which can lead to all kinds of strange behavior
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

TwilyDev

Post by TwilyDev »

I mean, "what's happening?" These are while I'm pressing some arrow keys and [C thing appears.

One thing, the keyboard somehow a bit unresponsive (Can't type fast.)

And Darkstar, thanks for your suggestions. And actually, I'm gonna try to reinstalling AT&T Linux later in 86Box, as 86Box somehow faster. :D
Thinking of the past...

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

zde

Post by zde »

TwilyDev wrote:I mean, "what's happening?" These are while I'm pressing some arrow keys and [C thing appears.
Um. You are hitting "forward" key and see [C... as you should... what exactly is the problem?
TwilyDev wrote:One thing, the keyboard somehow a bit unresponsive (Can't type fast.)
It's actually similar problem.

Have you ever worked with these ancient Unixes (and, actually, some not-so-ancient like Solaris or HP-UX)?

They are not designed to work with normal CRT or LCD display and keyboard. They are designe for teletype.

Of course regular PC does not have a teletype attached thus some... improvisation happened: all PC Unixes include a "teletype emulation"... but even if it comes with Unix and is, actually, built-in... Unix programs need to be configured to use it correctly.

On many old Unixes this doesn't happen automatically, "out of the box", that's all.

TwilyDev

Post by TwilyDev »

zde wrote:
TwilyDev wrote:I mean, "what's happening?" These are while I'm pressing some arrow keys and [C thing appears.
Um. You are hitting "forward" key and see [C... as you should... what exactly is the problem?
TwilyDev wrote:One thing, the keyboard somehow a bit unresponsive (Can't type fast.)
It's actually similar problem.

Have you ever worked with these ancient Unixes (and, actually, some not-so-ancient like Solaris or HP-UX)?

They are not designed to work with normal CRT or LCD display and keyboard. They are designe for teletype.

Of course regular PC does not have a teletype attached thus some... improvisation happened: all PC Unixes include a "teletype emulation"... but even if it comes with Unix and is, actually, built-in... Unix programs need to be configured to use it correctly.

On many old Unixes this doesn't happen automatically, "out of the box", that's all.
Okie, thanks for your theories. :)
Thinking of the past...

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt