Question regarding FTP

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
nwiktor04

Question regarding FTP

Post by nwiktor04 »

hey, I just wanted to ask how does the FTP Access joining look like. first question is, if I manage to find a physical copy of an unknown OS/software build that hasn't been shared before and remains unleaked, and the FTP admin will approve that my commit is eligible for upload, what will the access look like?

asking just in case I found something, my classmate got a bunch of weird Microsoft CDs from her grandparents and I'd really love to know if contributions like this could mean something, and what would be the aftermath.

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Question regarding FTP

Post by mrpijey »

I am sorry, I don't really understand your question? You submit an offer by processing it according to our guidelines, then upload it using FTP to our servers and apply for FTP access. If it's approved you will get access to our archives.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube

salitoshater

Post by salitoshater »

I also have a question.

I spent about 4 hours dump, scanning and packing my german version of Metal Gear Solid (PC version, 2000) incl. the 60 pages manual and packshots. This version was not offered here before in your archive.
Good, that doesn't mean you accept it. My Upload has disappeared from the FTP, now I don't know how to continue, was it deleted by an admin or by an user. I created my dump with Daemon Tools Ultra (since necesarry, as metioned in the readme) and followed the rules precisely. However, one of your rules is inconsistent, namely that of using alcohol 120% exclusively (on windows).

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 39&t=32742
Dump the media using proper software and hardware.
For optical media only Alcohol120% or CloneCD (Windows) or Daemon Tools or Disk Utility (OS X) are allowed.
contradicts the wording further down in the thread
Q: Can I use Daemon Tools or [insert any other tool supporting the format] to make MDF dumps instead of Alcohol 120%?
A: No. Since we provide as portable version of Alcohol 120% that works without installation there's no reason to. However, if you are using a different operating system you may use a different tool, but you can also use Alcohol 120% in a virtualized Windows environment if available. Alcohol 120% is our main disc dumping tool and is preferred.
I don't want to seem impatient, not at all, and maybe it just takes time to check my upload, but I don't like to bother in vain or want to know if something was wrong, and what exactly was wrong.
I would appreciate an answer, thank you very much.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Hello, I am sorry for the confusion, I've corrected the guide in question. To dump a disc it's primarily DiscImageCreator (if DVD it works with all optical drive models, if CD-ROM it works only with selected drives) but if DiscImageCreator doesn't work use Alcohol120%. So if you can dump your software with one of these tools it would be preferred, we have guides on how to use both.

I did check your upload just now, and these are CD's, so Alcohol120% will have to do then (unless you have a compatible drive working with DiscImageCreator). Be also sure to scan _all_ sides of the box. If you also read the guide you're supposed to leave some space around the scanned object (something you have not done), so please rescan the box cover and jewel case properly. Discs are fine. Manuals should technically be rescanned too, but if you don't want to redo that work I can accept it as a reference scan as long as you provide the front and back covers properly scanned. Everything is in the guide so you will have to read it properly (judging by the scans you didn't).

I've just been busy with other stuff so I have not had time to process all uploads lately, but I plan on checking it all this weekend, so if you can get your updated dumps and scans up by the weekend then I'll will have then in the archive quickly.

Thanks!

salitoshater

Post by salitoshater »

Many thanks for the comprehensive answer. Well, my scanner's not capable of much more. The bigbox does not fit on the original glass (unfolded) and protruding the image becomes too dark. I also don't want to destroy the package through too firm pressure and I will not cut it up.
I'm not allowed to cut out or rework the image, 600dpi are also quite a challenge in terms of my scanners memory usage. Regarding the extra space around the scans I only referred to CD's, I probably used the wrong example :) .

But I have to accept that. Then I'd rather not use the FTP access and just read here in the forum.

Please delete my upload completely, out of respect for my work (my girlfriend also participated).

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

If the big box is too big then scan it in two parts with plenty of overlapping parts, I can splice it together. Also that doesn't explain why all the manuals and disc covers are also cropped as those are not nearly big enough to cover the entire scanner area.

The reason I am this picky is because we want proper and accurate scans of the stuff, and if you don't do it properly then someone else will have to redo it all again, so why not make it properly and be happy knowing that your release is properly done? It's up to you of course, but there's a reason why the guide specifically mentions about wide margins, to scan all the sides of a box cover etc.

The rest is of course up to you.

But as I mentioned earlier, to make it easy for you just rescan the box, jewelcase and front/back of the manual and it should be fine. And redumping the discs properly according to the guide isn't much hassle anyway.

Thanks.

salitoshater

Post by salitoshater »

Okay, I'll try it again.

Thanks for your answer.

EDIT: No chance to scan the Bigbox in a reasonable quality. The format is about DIN A3 (whatever the American equivalent may be). The scanner is a DIN A4 scanner. With the 600 DPI I also break the 100 Megabyte limit of my scanner.

The scan at 94 percent of the original size is less than 100 MB, but the image sharpness is rather poor (because the lid of the scanner cannot be closed completely).

At least i tried again. thanks for your time and effort.

somerandompep

Question regarding FTP

Post by somerandompep »

I have an UNIX ISO disc. How can I dump it since I can't mount it using Windows?

Thanks
Some random people visiting the site? No way!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

ISO disc? Is it a physical disc or ISO file?

somerandompep

Post by somerandompep »

It is an ISO
Some random people visiting the site? No way!

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Then it's not acceptable as it's not an original physical disc. Please read the guide as it will answer most of your questions regarding acceptable content and how to prepare it.

nwiktor04

Post by nwiktor04 »

mrpijey wrote:I am sorry, I don't really understand your question? You submit an offer by processing it according to our guidelines, then upload it using FTP to our servers and apply for FTP access. If it's approved you will get access to our archives.
the issue is that I'm stuck. I keep on getting notifications that mention that "STOR filenames are illegal", and therefore I'm confused.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

Well you have to publish a proper section of the log before we can determine what's wrong, but you're most likely trying to upload files of a forbidden type, which means you probably didn't prepare the release according to the guide. But if you post the proper log entry we can see if we can find the issue.