BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 59d, 23h, 56m | CPU: 21% | MEM: 5010MB of 12191MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 7:15 pm 

Hi,

Last time I created an account on this site to download old beta versions of Windows. I really want to access FTP and download several versions of Windows to complement my collection of operating systems on my disk. But I read that I need to upload something special, something like beta software, operating system or software that will be a beta version and it will be a physical disc copied to an archive file.
Can you help me ? I have never done anything like this, and I don't have any media to support your FTP library. Therefore, I have 3 questions for you administrators.

1) How to add a picture on your own FTP site? (I understand that this step is necessary to unlock access to the database?) Do you need programs for this task and will sending the image unlock my account for FTP access?

2) "IBM OS 2 Profess Dev Kit Beta" will match and won't have any problems adding it to your own FTP?

3) Does the uploaded file on your own FTP must be a 7z, rar, zip archive or a separate disc image file?

4) Do you need to attach MD5 records and CD photos in the archive (if so) or separately in this forum post.

5) And the last: must there be an image in the mdf format inside the archive or can I package it in an iso file? If I send the ISO in the archive, will my FTP access request be rejected?

I hope to get support from you.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Tue Jan 14, 2020 8:14 pm 
Administrator

Hello!

All your questions are covered in the guide that is linked in my signature and also found in the Tutorials section...

1: You need to provide a scan (or photo if a scanner is not available) of your physical media and covers, you include these with your upload (covered in the guide).

2: Not sure about that one, but you need to label it properly with full product name, year, language etc if possible (covered in the guide).

3: Yes the upload must be packed up, both to have all the necessary files collected but also easy for me to detect any errors in the upload (covered in the guide).

4: You upload any scanned content with the upload, and you don't need to provide any checksum files with the archive, but you can do it with the files inside if needed (covered in the guide).

5: It must be archived properly using DiscImageCreator (DIC) (if it's a DVD, or CD if you have a compatible drive) or Alcohol 120% (covered in the guide).

All your questions are available in the guide, I suggest you start here:

viewtopic.php?f=39&t=32742

If you have any other questions beyond what's covered in the guide let us know.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 2:49 pm 

Hello again,

Just yesterday I uploaded to my FTP server the image of:

Microsoft Windows (Whistler 5.1.2296.1) (2000-11-24) Advanced Server (beta 1) [English]

and I saw that my FTP application was rejected. I followed the instructions and according to the administrator I should put in something I have. I would also like to emphasize that this something should be unique, unique, unfortunately I do not have any CD that I could archive. All my images are in digital version downloaded from various trusted sources and currently I do not have CDs with unique Windows BETA systems, abandoware programs or other things. That is why I downloaded the image and searched in the FTP database. It wasn't a picture, so I thought it would be okay. Unfortunately not.
Can you tell me why images downloaded from the internet along with cover photos are discarded? I saw on the forum a person who also had a picture that appeared to be downloaded from the internet and probably her application was counted.
In this case, will I no longer have access to the FTP database? I care about her very much, but unfortunately I can't get access due to the lack of my own unique media. I am very sad because of that.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 3:47 pm 
Administrator

First of all, the release you uploaded you got from somewhere else was actually downloaded from here, as it was first provided to BetaArchive by one of our most contributive members.

Now to your question:

We require original dumps, not stuff you downloaded elsewhere to make sure the release you upload is 100% original. If you download it elsewhere you can't ever guarantee that, it might be modified, a second hand download, improperly dumped etc, so to make sure it is original you need to dump it yourself using the methods we've tested and approved.

BetaArchive is also not just another dump site, we try to archive original titles first. Can you absolutely 100% guarantee that something you downloaded is original? I think not.

Now to find something for you to upload, it doesn't need to be abandonware or betas, but it does need to be original. Check with family, friends, thrift shops etc, it's not difficult to find something original if you put some effort into it.

Listings: BetaArchive Database (beta)
Channels: Discord :: Twitter

Top  Profile  WWW
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 4:21 pm 

The problem here is finding the right disc that I could archive. If I sent, for example: A disc from a computer magazine that I have a lot would be discarded, if I found an original DELL disc with Windows Vista in the store, for example, it probably would have been discarded because it is in the database. No matter what I find here, even if I add the original CD, knowing life will probably be rejected, because someone has long sent it. So I doubt if I can find anything. But it doesn't hurt to try

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:03 pm 

Matrix72001 wrote:
The problem here is finding the right disc that I could archive. If I sent, for example: A disc from a computer magazine that I have a lot would be discarded, if I found an original DELL disc with Windows Vista in the store, for example, it probably would have been discarded because it is in the database. No matter what I find here, even if I add the original CD, knowing life will probably be rejected, because someone has long sent it. So I doubt if I can find anything. But it doesn't hurt to try

I don't get why you people think you can get around and get FTP access by uploading freeware cr*p, while others have put at least some effort to buy some real retail title from somewhere to get their access. Retail means "boxed software for sale in stores", not magazine or bundled with PC stuff. If you heard mrpijey, he never said there is a limitation of how old it can be. It can be an old floppy disk title or some newer 2019 game or app as long as it is retail, and isn't already properly stored in the ftp with scans and photos.

If you really want FTP software you will put at least some effort... Who knows, get a work and earn money to buy something if you don't have it, or someone who want to give you its own.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Wed Jan 15, 2020 7:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
There are literally hundreds of Windows95-era game CDs for sale on eBay or similar sites for under 5$. I imagine it will be the same with thrift shops, flea markets, second-hand shops, etc. in your area.

Just grab one of these, scan and upload it. Just make sure it's a "regular" game, not some kind of magazine coverdisc or shareware CD etc.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 5:56 pm 
FTP Access

Hyoenmadan86 wrote:
If you really want FTP software you will put at least some effort... Who knows, get a work and earn money to buy something if you don't have it, or someone who want to give you its own.

Not everyone can do that. It's not that people have unique abandonware software stuffed in their houses. For example, young students. Maybe they'll be lucky and can find one, but I won't be surprised if they cannot find one for what would not be their fault.

I personally despise some members' attitude who think that it is easy as pie to contribute. It indeed might be, but it's hardly the case for many. Not everyone can buy a CD to get access.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:10 pm 
Donator

Favourite OS
IRIX 5.3
Here are some other options that don't involve "lots of money":
  • ask the admin(s) at your school/university/workplace if they have some old software that they're throwing out in the near future. Leave your contact details and ask them to contact you if/when they do. You can even lie and say it's "for a school project" or something if you're comfortable with it :)
  • when at a friends place, take a look around what they have lying around in their rooms. you might be able to ask nicely to borrow something (you can give it back later after you dumped and scanned it, so they don't even have to part with it!)
  • or go to a local flea market and see what they have. often you can haggle them down to 1$/1€ for a single disc program/game. And don't tell me "I don't have that much money" :)
  • and remember (most important): nobody forces you to provide BETA versions or even WINDOWS versions. It can literally be anything as long as it's commercially released software (no bundleware/shovelware/coverdiscs). See a Windows game from 2005? Some office software from 2010? perfect, you'll get FTP access for that (as long as it's not already on the site)
Anyone who tells me that all these are impossible is lying and/or just not putting enough effort in....

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Can I access FTP by uploading abandoned software?        Posted: Thu Jan 16, 2020 8:50 pm 

x010 wrote:
Not everyone can do that. It's not that people have unique abandonware software stuffed in their houses. For example, young students. Maybe they'll be lucky and can find one, but I won't be surprised if they cannot find one for what would not be their fault.

I personally despise some members' attitude who think that it is easy as pie to contribute. It indeed might be, but it's hardly the case for many. Not everyone can buy a CD to get access.

Well, when I was student I had to do as worker in a factories and construction lands to get all the stuff i needed to make projects required at school and in other activities. Unless he's a 8 or 9yo kid (and in such case he shouldn't be here anyways) sure he can get something to do so he can buy a CD/DVD to contribute, old or new. If he doesn't, then maybe he doesn't need the FTP access that much.

And who says is easy to contribute? Would be disrespectful for all the people who actually put some effort to share at least one title piece in the proper way. In past BA had relaxed requirements to get FTP access, and the consequence was we got members who did contributed nothing to site but them were leaking BA stuff to places like WinWorldPC as it didn't cost a cent to them to get the stuff. Blame that people the enforced requirements for FTP access.

Top  Profile