I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
AndreMor

I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox

Post by AndreMor »

When I try to boot the system ISO to be able to install this build or a higher one, it simply stays until Setup is starting Windows 2000. Is there any way to fix it?

And if not, how can I install a graphics driver to Windows NT that works with VMware? (because in that virtualizer it works, but I only have the 16 colors mode), because the ones I have don't work for me.

TwilyDev

Re: I can't install Windows NT 5.0 Build 2072+ in VirtualBox

Post by TwilyDev »

AndreMor wrote:And if not, how can I install a graphics driver to Windows NT that works with VMware? (because in that virtualizer it works, but I only have the 16 colors mode), because the ones I have don't work for me.
Try VBE driver, maybe? :o
https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbemp.htm
Thinking of the past...

Now I'm on Escargot! Just add me on your contacts using my e-mail (The MSNM button after my signature) and chat me away!

Code: Select all

import this
Instagram | DeviantArt

AndreMor

Post by AndreMor »

TwilyDev wrote:
AndreMor wrote:And if not, how can I install a graphics driver to Windows NT that works with VMware? (because in that virtualizer it works, but I only have the 16 colors mode), because the ones I have don't work for me.
Try VBE driver, maybe? :o
https://bearwindows.zcm.com.au/vbemp.htm
I'm sorry, but it didn't work out. I got the STOP screen. Possibly because the system I'm using on the VM is a beta and that driver expects updated versions of Windows (such as a Windows NT 4 SP6 or Windows 2000 SP4).

If someone has another solution, you can put it here.

BF10

Post by BF10 »

Just don't use VirtualBox or VMware for some of these Windows NT 5.0 betas. Use PCem or 86Box, they emulate a real machine from around the time these builds came out and thus have less problems. Alongside, you can also get the graphics card to work on all of these.

Also, even if you could get it to install in VirtualBox, I highly doubt that you'll be able to install a graphic driver in it anyways.

BetaWiki contributor.

xyz

Post by xyz »

Use PCem with K6 emulation..slower but avoids incompatibility issues

AndreMor

Post by AndreMor »

BF10 wrote:Just don't use VirtualBox or VMware for some of these Windows NT 5.0 betas. Use PCem or 86Box, they emulate a real machine from around the time these builds came out and thus have less problems. Alongside, you can also get the graphics card to work on all of these.
1. Do you know of any ROM that can boot from CD-ROM? The ROMs I have can't do that. I did the classic method of starting from MS-DOS, but I got this.

2. More than the reason that I go slow like the PCs of that time, my processor is not able to keep emulating 100% a processor with the minimum requirements to run that system.
BF10 wrote:Also, even if you could get it to install in VirtualBox, I highly doubt that you'll be able to install a graphic driver in it anyways.
I have a video driver for VirtualBox that works for any version of Windows NT up to Windows 7. That's why I had the idea to install it there.
xyz wrote:Use PCem with K6 emulation..slower but avoids incompatibility issues
I'm going to try.
Last edited by AndreMor on Mon Jan 13, 2020 3:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

AndreMor wrote:1. Do you know of any ROM that can boot from CD-ROM? The ROMs I have can't do that. I did the classic method of starting from MS-DOS, but I got this.
86Box's Shuttle HOT-557 ought to work fine in most cases.
AndreMor wrote:2. More than the reason that I go slow like the PCs of that time, my processor is not able to keep emulating 100% a processor with the minimum requirements to run that system.
That's quite vague. What is your exact guest configuration? What PC do you run the emulator on?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

AndreMor

Post by AndreMor »

AlphaBeta wrote:86Box's Shuttle HOT-557 ought to work fine in most cases.
I got it.
AlphaBeta wrote:That's quite vague. What is your exact guest configuration? What PC do you run the emulator on?
Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60Ghz, Pentium 166 for the guest

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

AlphaBeta wrote:That's quite vague. What is your exact guest configuration? What PC do you run the emulator on?
Intel Core i3-4160 @ 3.60Ghz, Pentium 166 for the guest[/quote]
Oh, I have the same CPU. From my observations, Pentium 75 should run at more or less full speed. NT5 is not particularly demanding in terms of CPU speed.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

JennyTheOSCollector

Post by JennyTheOSCollector »

Once I was trying to install win2k beta3 (Both 1946 & 2000),I stuck at the same "Setup is starting Windows 2000" interface.
Bored...Now I'd like to do something practical,like learning about HTML programming and make music pieces!

andrian1994

Post by andrian1994 »

Use PCem , I'm using PCem for several months instaling NT buillds

Sent from Internet Explorer inside Windows 98 SE

“Be yourself, everyone else is already taken.”
― Oscar Wilde

Schneider616

Post by Schneider616 »

Another option would be tapping F5 as soon as the "Press F6 to load drivers" text appears. Not sure if it was documented, but this brings up the ACPI menu where you can select "Standard PC" (which means non-ACPI).

I remember doing this on a Aspire One D260 where I wanted to install Windows 2000 Pro SP4. Almost managed it but the GPU drivers are a pain in the arse.
My PCs:
PC - Intel Core i5-3470 3.6GHz,16GB RAM,500W FSP Bluestorm II PSU,2x1TB,Samsung DVD-RW drive,Windows 10 x64,Gigabyte B75M-D3H
Aspire 6930G - Intel Core 2 Duo T9400, 6GB RAM, 90W Acer charger, 1TB HDD+500GB HDD, Sony-Optiarc DVD-RW, Windows 7 x64

AndreMor

Post by AndreMor »

Schneider616 wrote:Another option would be tapping F5 as soon as the "Press F6 to load drivers" text appears. Not sure if it was documented, but this brings up the ACPI menu where you can select "Standard PC" (which means non-ACPI).
Wow! It worked! Thank you very much for that solution!