What do you think Windows would be like if Windows 8...?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Maza

What do you think Windows would be like if Windows 8...?

Post by Maza »

What do you think Windows would be like today if Windows 8 had been successful?
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Re: What do you think Windows would be like if Windows 8...?

Post by LuLu »

no different

Winins

Post by Winins »

No one knows. One thing is sure though, it would have kept the start screen.
You have never seen Windows like this!
FREE Windows 3.2!
Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

Maza

Post by Maza »

LuLu wrote:no different
Thank you for replying, LuLu. But... why do you think this?
Winins wrote:No one knows. One thing is sure though, it would have kept the start screen.
I can think of so many beautiful refinements and scenarios!
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

LuLu
Permanently Banned

Post by LuLu »

re:

because there was nothing 8 could "push" that would make alternate win "version"
and it doesn't matter if its better than 10...

i'd say many would admit that even vista, and ofc 7 and 8 are better than 10
but look what we got ..., well what you got (as i dont' use that crap hihihh)

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

More or less, had Windows 8 become more successful, it's likely there would have been a higher prevalence of "true" tablet machines under Windows 8. It was very intuitive for the tablet user, and its popularity possibly would have enable many many more iPad alternatives.

Nonetheless, eventually Nadella would have gotten his way and we would have wound up with some, if not many of the drabs of Windows 10 entering the alternate "Windows 9." It is likely, however, that we would have received the "Update 2" for Windows 8.1 bringing a proper start menu for those who were resistant to change before the next incarnation of Windows was due.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

hinatahyuuga
Donator

Post by hinatahyuuga »

Windows Visa was a failure.. Windows 7 was same as vista .. so
i will say nothing different about 8 to 10.
ImageImage

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

Vista wasn't a failure. System requirements were higher, and there were barely any drivers, but that's because it RTMed too late.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:Vista wasn't a failure. System requirements were higher, and there were barely any drivers, but that's because it RTMed too late.
Product failure is usually determined by the adoption rate, not by system requirements and the (un)availability of drivers.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

hinatahyuuga
Donator

Post by hinatahyuuga »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:Vista wasn't a failure. System requirements were higher, and there were barely any drivers, but that's because it RTMed too late.
I know that, i pretty like vista (i prefer Vista than 7) , by the way it still a failure on the market.
If 7 was released before and Vista after, everyone had to say 7 is bad and Vista is a good os.

I never had problem with vista, even with SP0, the only problem like you said, was the leak of ram in 2007-2009.
ImageImage

maomaosifangcai

Post by maomaosifangcai »

Vista was a great breakthrough in Microsoft history. It has many wonderful new functions and beautiful user interface. Personally,I think its UI is the most beautiful of all versions of Windows. But Microsoft overestimated the computer performance and speed at that time, so it run very slow on the PC in 2007~2009. But if Vista run on the newest PC, it will not be slow and have a good performance.

speedyink

Post by speedyink »

It may have been different, but so much of the changes in Windows 10 were not stuff people were complaining about in 8. Probably the biggest difference is it may look a bit closer to Windows 8 in start menu functionality. The core "always connected" mentality of Windows 10 and all the decisions based from that probably would have happened regardless. I think if anything the question would be, how different would the Windows after 8 be if smart phones/tablets didn't take off in the way that they did.

Skeel

Post by Skeel »

It seems that most users have difficulty accepting new things.But if windows8 is successful, then windows10 will use the start screen.
A little learning is a dangerous thing.

princezackttr

Post by princezackttr »

I think if Windows 8 had been successful, Microsoft may have had an opportunity to join the tablet and phone game, possibly up there with the likes of Apple, which I would assume would change their business model considerably compared to how 10 ended up turning out. I also don't think Windows 8.1 would've been released, at least not so soon after, and most likely as a Service Pack or an update similar. I assume Windows 10 would release with a Start Screen instead of a Start Menu, and Windows 10 Mobile wouldn't have been scrapped.

Interesting question, thanks for posting :)

Octal450

Post by Octal450 »

Windows 8.1 on a Tablet is actually superior to Windows 10 (I tested on an HP Stream 7).

It runs smoother, and the touch elements respond better and are more tablet suited. The mistake made by Microsoft was by forcing the tablet stuff down the throats of desktop users. People should have been able to choose between start screen, and start menu style, with tablets/touchscreens defaulting to the touch mode, and non-touch screens and desktops defaulting to the desktop mode.

I still do not even like the Windows 10 start menu, Windows 7/Vista's is far superior.

Kind Regards,
Josh