Emulating Multiple Cores in Windows Virtual PC

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
Zero3K

Emulating Multiple Cores in Windows Virtual PC

Post by Zero3K »

Is there any way to do that by hacking it, etc?

AlphaBeta
Donator

Re: Emulating Multiple Cores in Windows Virtual PC

Post by AlphaBeta »

No.     
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Zero3K

Post by Zero3K »

That's too bad. It would be nice if someone tried to either make an open-source clone of it or convince Microsoft to release its source code so others can work on it.

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Just use VMware Workstation or QEmu. No point in using a software that's been dead for like 10 years
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

Zero3K

Post by Zero3K »

I like that it doesn't use as much disk space, memory, and had a simple interface.

Zero3K

Post by Zero3K »

It works well enough for my needs. It would be nice if someone could make a clone of it eventually.

YourAverageJoe

Post by YourAverageJoe »

Zero3K wrote:That's too bad. It would be nice if someone tried to either make an open-source clone of it or convince Microsoft to release its source code so others can work on it.
Microsoft will NEVER do that, any source code for anything relating to their software (Windows included) was leaked, not published officially. ReactOS aims to do the former with a variant of Server 2003, but if I remember correctly, it's a poor attempt at reverse engineering their software.
hOI!!!!! i'm tEMMIE!!!!

Zero3K

Post by Zero3K »

It was owned by Connectix originally.

Winins

Post by Winins »

Zero3K wrote:It was owned by Connectix originally.
Yes but the Connectix one was for Mac OS.
You have never seen Windows like this!
FREE Windows 3.2!
Shareware featuring an upgrade for pre-existing Windows 3.1 users and BONUS PACK
Distributed freely by PC World. March 1996

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

YourAverageJoe wrote:
Zero3K wrote:That's too bad. It would be nice if someone tried to either make an open-source clone of it or convince Microsoft to release its source code so others can work on it.
Microsoft will NEVER do that, any source code for anything relating to their software (Windows included) was leaked, not published officially.
You think? There is quite a few things released by Microsoft as open source, including PowerShell, .NET and VS Code...
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Darkstar
Donator

Post by Darkstar »

Both VScode and .NET were developed from the start with a "source-available" type of development process. VScode explicitly as Open-Source, while .NET started out as "shared-source" (source code available but no OSI approved license). PowerShell was also developed completely by Microsoft and is just a thin layer on top of .NET (and some other technologies)

On the other hand, Virtual PC was not even developed by MS... they bought it from Connectix and developed from there. One can guess that there's a fair amount of NDA agreements, patented code and other 3rd-party code in there for which MS does have the right to "use" it in development, but not to re-license it under an open source license. Probably those companies where Connectix got the code from are long defunct, so there is no legal way to get the code in question relicensed.

So yeah, the chances of seeing the source code for VPC released are pretty darn close to 0%
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA