What versions of MS-DOS support CD-ROM drivers?

Discuss MS-DOS, Windows 1, 2 and 3.
SupernovaNick

What versions of MS-DOS support CD-ROM drivers?

Post by SupernovaNick »

As far as I know, Windows 1.0 Alpha can only be installed properly in MS-DOS 3.0 or earlier. MS-DOS 2.11 is often used. I have tried using MS-DOS 6.22 since I know it supports CD-ROM drivers but obviously it does not work.
Offtopic Comment
Actually, I managed to make it work somewhat, but it is extremely buggy and practically unusable. Using I think the first video card, I made AUTOEXEC.BAT run Windows twice. The first time, MS-DOS Executive is empty. After closing Windows, AUTOEXEC.BAT runs Windows a second time, this time with all the programs in Executive. However, none of the programs work.
I am just curious if MS-DOS 2.11, or any other versions of MS-DOS other than 6.22, support CD-ROM drivers. If so, where can I find drivers and how can they be installed?
Thanks.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Re: What versions of MS-DOS support CD-ROM drivers?

Post by TheCollector1988 »

Only 3.10 and up.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

That's unfortunate. Oh well, what would I use CD-ROM drivers for anyway in these old buggy versions of Windows.
Thanks.

TheCollector1988
Donator

Post by TheCollector1988 »

I think you can't on buggy releases like the Alpha or earlier. Beta can support CD drivers and MSCDEX as it has proper support for DOS 3.10 and up.

vlad557776

Post by vlad557776 »

SupernovaNick wrote:
Offtopic Comment
Actually, I managed to make it work somewhat, but it is extremely buggy and practically unusable. Using I think the first video card, I made AUTOEXEC.BAT run Windows twice. The first time, MS-DOS Executive is empty. After closing Windows, AUTOEXEC.BAT runs Windows a second time, this time with all the programs in Executive. However, none of the programs work.
That happens due to incorrect DOS version. You can still install Beta and later on later versions of DOS by using the SETVER hack, but you can't do this with Alpha due to Alpha doing an internal check. According to my information, you can hack DR5 to work on later versions of DOS by using SETVER, but I don't know how.
The developer of Win1 Packet - https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40233
The developer of IM1024 INSTALL.BAT Patch: https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 59&t=40317

dfawcus

Post by dfawcus »

TheCollector1988 wrote:Only 3.10 and up.
Theoretically, 3.0 and upwards, since that is where the redirector interface was added.

However the internal structures and API changed between the two versions, so one would have to create custom drivers for 3.0. Hence practically using available "off the shelf" software, only 3.1 upwards.

SupernovaNick

Post by SupernovaNick »

vlad557776 wrote: That happens due to incorrect DOS version. You can still install Beta and later on later versions of DOS by using the SETVER hack, but you can't do this with Alpha due to Alpha doing an internal check. According to my information, you can hack DR5 to work on later versions of DOS by using SETVER, but I don't know how.
I think I got DR5 working by using SETVER on MSWIN or something, but I forget. Yeah, SETVER does not work at all on Alpha, and I have to use my extremely buggy method to just show the programs in MS-DOS Executive (it even only works on one video card) which cannot even be opened.

Both work flawlessly on DOS 2.11, at the cost of no compatible CD-ROM drivers.
Offtopic Comment
Also, something funny with DR5, is that it does not recognize a second floppy drive for some reason. If I enable the a second B: floppy drive in 86Box and enable it in the BIOS, DR5 only sees the A: drive. Alpha and up do recognize the B: drive.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

SupernovaNick wrote:
Offtopic Comment
Also, something funny with DR5, is that it does not recognize a second floppy drive for some reason. If I enable the a second B: floppy drive in 86Box and enable it in the BIOS, DR5 only sees the A: drive. Alpha and up do recognize the B: drive.
It should see whatever drives DOS sees, and I seem to recall having two floppy drives in DR5. I'll test this out a bit later toda.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

I think it depends on the BIOS or something when I was playing with it.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

ComputerHunter wrote:I think it depends on the BIOS or something when I was playing with it.
That's a possibility, yeah. Maybe it doesn't like specific BIOSes or just clones in general. But as I said, in that case, DOS shouldn't see the drive either.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks