[REQUEST] Ximian Desktop 2.0 and Ximian Gnome

Download requests and offers should be made in this forum.
Do not request a download if you have under 10 posts. You will be ignored.
Forum rules
Please read the following rules before posting a download request in this area:

1. Don't post a request if you have under 10 posts as stated in the rules. If you do anyway, it will be deleted without further notice.
2. Requests for anything against our rules will not be entertained and you will be warned.
3. Check that we don't already have the file on our FTP servers by using the database linked in the navigation.
d3vi1

[REQUEST] Ximian Desktop 2.0 and Ximian Gnome

Post by d3vi1 »

A very important part of Linux history at the beginning of the 2000's is Ximian. The company founded by Miguel de Icaza and Nat Friedman. They are responsible for the GNOME Desktop, Evolution, MONO and what is currently known as LibreOffice (through the GO-OO fork of OpenOffice.org by Michael Meeks of Ximian).

In the early 2000s they produced an installable Gnome 1.2-1.4 for a lot of distributions (LinuxPPC, Debian, Mandrake, RedHat, Yellow Dog Linux, TurboLinux, SuSE and Solaris 7-9). They also ported GNOME to Solaris (making the base of Java Desktop System) and HP-UX. I am doing my best to recompose the original Ximian FTP from web archive searches of all the known mirrors and I'm getting mixed results, currently a 30GB archive.

But one of the things that is missing is the original ISO files for Ximian Desktop 2.0 and Ximian Gnome 1.4, the purchased products.

Does anyone have a copy of those? Once Ximian was bought by Novell, it ceased to exist and the leads of Ximian moved to Xamarin to pursue their MONO efforts.

Courage

Re: [REQUEST] Ximian Desktop 2.0 and Ximian Gnome

Post by Courage »

d3vi1 wrote:A very important part of Linux history at the beginning of the 2000's is Ximian. The company founded by Miguel de Icaza and Nat Friedman. They are responsible for the GNOME Desktop, Evolution, MONO and what is currently known as LibreOffice (through the GO-OO fork of OpenOffice.org by Michael Meeks of Ximian).

In the early 2000s they produced an installable Gnome 1.2-1.4 for a lot of distributions (LinuxPPC, Debian, Mandrake, RedHat, Yellow Dog Linux, TurboLinux, SuSE and Solaris 7-9). They also ported GNOME to Solaris (making the base of Java Desktop System) and HP-UX. I am doing my best to recompose the original Ximian FTP from web archive searches of all the known mirrors and I'm getting mixed results, currently a 30GB archive.

But one of the things that is missing is the original ISO files for Ximian Desktop 2.0 and Ximian Gnome 1.4, the purchased products.

Does anyone have a copy of those? Once Ximian was bought by Novell, it ceased to exist and the leads of Ximian moved to Xamarin to pursue their MONO efforts.
I do have a set of Ximian GNOME 1 and Ximian GNOME 2 RPMs intended to be installed onto Red Hat Linux 7.3, plus a copy of Red Hat Linux 7.1 with Ximian GNOME 1.4 integrated. If you are interested, do reply and I'll do my best to upload them ASAP.

I'm also pretty sure that I have sets of Ximian GNOME 1 for other Red Hat versions, not sure where I kept them at the moment however. I'm pretty interested in Linux stuff, so I'd like to know what you have too. :P

subpopculture

Re: [REQUEST] Ximian Desktop 2.0 and Ximian Gnome

Post by subpopculture »

Hi! I found this post through web searches. I'm very interested in recreating a Ximian Desktop experience as a VM for people to use. I can't find a copy of the Ximian FTP archives online though. Are you able to host them some place?