Windows Classic Themes for Windows 7

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Moline

Windows Classic Themes for Windows 7

Post by Moline »

I have ported over the preset Windows Classic themes from Windows 2000/XP over to Windows7. Everything is there from Brick to Wheat, and even the slightly altered Windows Classic theme (here, it is known as Windows Standard. In 2k and XP, it was known as Windows Classic, and was select-able alongside Windows Standard, which got renamed to Windows Classic in Vista and 7). There are also a few new themes that I created specially for this release that are not found in 2000/XP. They are; Nightlight, a theme that gives your computer a Windows 10 nightlight feel, Nighttime, a theme inspired by the night sky, the moon, and the stars, Sunny day, a theme inspired by a sunny day, sunset, a theme inspired by a sunset, and John Deere, a theme inspired by tractors.

Consider this an early Thanksgiving/Christmas present. To use these, just extract them using your favorite archiver such as Winrar or 7-Zip to the "C:\Windows\Resources\Ease of Access Themes" folder without quotes. Once done, just right click the desktop, click personalization, and scroll down to Basic and High Contrast Themes and they should all be there alongside the existing ones. Here's some photos showing off the new themes I made along with the link to download the themes.

Windows Classic Themes.zip

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... r.1117.png
John Deere

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .10166.png
Nightlight

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .17121.png
Nighttime

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .91007.png
Sunny Day

https://www.betaarchive.com/imageupload ... .91007.png
Sunset

Zv45Beta
Donator

Re: Windows Classic Themes for Windows 7

Post by Zv45Beta »

Just a tip: brighter shades of "strong" colors (the greens in John Deere, for example) would make these themes a whole lot better. These dark ones remind me of the horror that was the Hotdog Stand theme from Win3.x. :mrgreen:
Main computer: HP 820 G4 | i5-7500U | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB M.2 SATA SSD & 2TB 2.5" HDD | Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce
XP PC: ASUS P5QPL-AM | Xeon L5408 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 870 EVO SSD | ATi HD 6450 | XP SP4
9x PC: MSI MS-6368 v5 | Pentium III-S 1266 | 640MB PC133 | ATi 7000 PCI | 10GB HDD | WinMe
Other PCs: 2x EeePC 701 (1x spare, 1x XP SP3), HP 800 G2 DM (Win11 23H2), Wyse Cx0 (XP SP1a)
I collect Windows CE devices.

Neptruo314

Post by Neptruo314 »

Here's some feedback:
Nightlight and John Deere don't have gradient titlebars, which looks a bit odd compared to the others.
For John Deere, you could use #009900, and for Nightlight, you could use #CC9900. (as the second colours)
But overall, great job!
Offtopic Comment
You could try doing 1.0, 2.0, and the 3.x colour schemes, including the 3.0-exclusive themes along with the default themes.3.0 uses a slightly different colour scheme from 3.1
Zv45Beta wrote:These dark ones remind me of the horror that was the Hotdog Stand theme from Win3.x. :mrgreen:
On my 3.1 install, I normally use Emerald City. :P
And, if a person who wore monochrome glasses (if those exist) saw Hotdog stand, it would result it looking quite normal:
Image Media Center for Windows XP requires you to purchase MCE edition. Or alternatively just get an unofficial hybrid of Pro and MCE.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

Just an appearence tip, if you want the taskbar looking normal, use small icons.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

MCpillager12 wrote:Just an appearence tip, if you want the taskbar looking normal, use small icons.
I don't think one would need to do that to make the user interface look more nice, IMO. Some people might want the icons to be the perfect size for better viewing. But that's just my perspective...

Moline

Post by Moline »

Thank you all for your constructive criticism! If you want me to edit the completely new themes that I made up (John Deere, Night Light, Night Time, sunset, sunrise, etc), then please let me know. For the others, I copied color for color the color codes from a Windows XP Pro install that I had, so those should appear as they did in Windows XP. I currently do not have any plans to port these to Windows Vista, seeing as that is not something I use day to day, as is the case with probably several other people. If you want to do that, then go ahead, but I'm out. Also, I've no idea if we could make bare bones versions of these in Windows 8 with High Contrast. I know people have done that with Windows Classic through the High Contrast, but am not sure on the others. I could try it out since I have a Windows 8.1 install, both on an actual computer as part of a "penta"-boot (It covers Windows 2000, XP, Vista, 7, and 8.1, and is spread out between 2 hard drives), and on a virtual machine for my school class. The penta-boot may be expanded to a hexa-boot if I can have a 4th partition on the 500 GB Hard Drive, and have enough space to allocate for Windows 10 once I hopefully get my free Windows 10 copy from the school (they did this with Windows 7 and 8.1 as well). Who knows if they will since 10 is what everyone should be running now (though I am typing this from Windows 7).

win32

Post by win32 »

The themes in fact do work in Windows 2000, as they are applied nicely via the semi-hidden themes.exe.

That themes.exe is in fact the same one from Plus! 98.

So these are not just for Windows 7; Vista/XP/2000/Me/98 should work as well! Maybe even on Windows 95 with Plus! applied, as the theme "engine" is identical to the one from Plus! 98, except for the lack of a monthly theme rotation option.
What is the name of the application software guaranteed to make your computer faster?

Quicken.

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

was there classic style .theme files in windows 3?

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Really? Even if you don't know the answer, you should at least know that Windows 3 runs on top of DOS and DOS use FAT which can only have a 3 letter extension.

The answer is no.

arielu

Post by arielu »

alpha.burton wrote:was there classic style .theme files in windows 3?
Windows 3.1 styles saved in CONTROL.INI file, it is exist in Windows folder.

Moline

Post by Moline »

Ignore the section of the readme saying these do not work on Vista. I just tested and they do in fact work. Still don't work on 8/10 however.

mibrab

Post by mibrab »

Just a heads up, the Sunny Day and Sunset images link to the same file
Also known as Cvolton elsewhere...

Splitwirez

Post by Splitwirez »

Moline wrote:Ignore the section of the readme saying these do not work on Vista. I just tested and they do in fact work. Still don't work on 8/10 however.
Tested on Windows 8/10 with or without the Classic Theme already applied?