Office "XP", what is it all about ?

Discuss any beta and abandonware applications.
ShadixAced

Office "XP", what is it all about ?

Post by ShadixAced »

Hello everyone ! (yeah, it's been a while !)

I've found out, lurking in the archive website, that Microsoft had, at one time (around XP's release) an special Office called Office XP. This is, though, the first time I hear this. Is it a 'sort-of-Microsoft-Works' suite or was it something else ?

Below are English pics of the website as-is, and i'll post you below an Office XP add-on link, so that you can download it ! (Not sure if this is on the FTP to be honest.)

Download link for "Office XP/2000 Add-in: Office Sounds" (Archive link) : https://web.archive.org/web/20011115003 ... sounds.exe
S.A.

Releases done so far : 21
Member of Microsoft France's House of Fans (^^)

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: Office "XP", what is it all about ?

Post by yourepicfailure »

Its name was basically Microsoft trying to capitalize on Xp's release, naming the newest Office relase after the latest OS.

It's AKA Office 2002. Microsoft uses both names throughout everything associated with the product. This was the full successor to Office 2k, before 2003 eclipsed it.
I still have a copy of Standard on disc.
Last edited by yourepicfailure on Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

ShadixAced

Post by ShadixAced »

yourepicfailure wrote:Its name was basically Microsoft trying to capitalize on Xp's release, naming the newest Office relase after the latest OS.

It's AKA Office 2002. Microsoft uses both names throughout everything associated with the product. It's the full successor to Office 2k, before 2003 eclipsed it.
I still have a copy of Standard on disc.
Hmm interesting... That's why this "obscure" release didn't last for so long. I do remember of Office 2003 being in my parent's computer, but not the 2002 one. That's nice knowing that.
S.A.

Longesthorn

Post by Longesthorn »

The schools in my area used Office XP on most of their computers (save for a few higher spec ones running 2003) until 2014, when they moved to Office 2013 (and for that matter, Windows 7 too).

I’ve always found it ironic that despite its name, its aesthetic is closer to Windows 2000 than of XP. Likely because they finished development not long after the Watercolor days.

ShadixAced

Post by ShadixAced »

Longesthorn wrote:The schools in my area used Office XP on most of their computers (save for a few higher spec ones running 2003) until 2014, when they moved to Office 2013 (and for that matter, Windows 7 too).

I’ve always found it ironic that despite its name, its aesthetic is closer to Windows 2000 than of XP. Likely because they finished development not long after the Watercolor days.
Mine had Office 2006 and XP for A LONG TIME ! Dunno if they changed it since then, but here in France, it was particularly rare to see Office XP around. Which might explain why it was so obscure to me.
S.A.

Maza

Post by Maza »

Bing, English Wikipedia, and Google all present helpful information; this is not to deter you from asking such questions in the future (only to mention such detail).

Amazing, solid release (also last to support Windows 98SE). I like this version of Microsoft Office very much and have two retail copies of Office XP Professional.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

ShadixAced

Post by ShadixAced »

Maza wrote:Bing, English Wikipedia, and Google all present helpful information; this is not to deter you from asking such questions in the future (only to mention such detail).

Amazing, solid release (also last to support Windows 98SE). I like this version of Microsoft Office very much and have two retail copies of Office XP Professional.
Yeah, I know that some info is there on Internet, but I wanted to ask here 'cause people might know what Internet don't know ;)

It seemed to be stable as i can see. Is there a copy on this in the FTP ? I'll try to make it work on a VM to see that.
S.A.

Neptruo314

Post by Neptruo314 »

ShadixAced wrote: It seemed to be stable as i can see. Is there a copy on this in the FTP ? I'll try to make it work on a VM to see that.
Yeah it should be, even SP3 since that released in 04. I'd recommend grabbing the developer SKU (though it isn't in english on the FTP, so I'd grab the MSDN compilation disc), then installing the other apps separately.

If you want the MSDN office XP path, the path is below:

Code: Select all

/(Misc) Compilations/PC/Microsoft MSDN (Blue)/2004-07 - 2684.0 - Office XP SP3 [English], Microsoft Office XP SP3 for MUI Pack
Maza wrote: Amazing, solid release (also last to support Windows 98SE)
It's also the last to support NT 4 with SP6 and ME apparently.
Image Media Center for Windows XP requires you to purchase MCE edition. Or alternatively just get an unofficial hybrid of Pro and MCE.

johnye_pt

Post by johnye_pt »

I still use Office 2003, the last version with the "classic" look, along with Office 2007 in my Windows 10 laptop. But Office 2003 is always my preferred option. Heck, I still use Outlook Express 6 in Windows 10, can't seem to let go of old habits!
I used to be schizophrenic, but now we're cured.

Maza

Post by Maza »

ShadixAced wrote:Yeah, I know that some info is there on Internet, but I wanted to ask here 'cause people might know what Internet don't know ;)
Be that as it may, you would be hard-pressed to find information that is not available in the Wayback Machine or the Wikipedia article. My goodness, no user here has even provided any additional insight.
Neptruo314 wrote:
Maza wrote: Amazing, solid release (also last to support Windows 98SE)
It's also the last to support NT 4 with SP6 and ME apparently.
It is indeed the last to support those two, but I only mentioned Windows 98SE because that one has much sentimental value to me.

Digger

Post by Digger »

johnye_pt wrote:I still use Office 2003, the last version with the "classic" look
Same here, Office 2003 is easier to get to the more useful features. I find the newer versions are dumbed down for people who just want to edit an exisiting documents.

Maza

Post by Maza »

Digger wrote:
johnye_pt wrote:I still use Office 2003, the last version with the "classic" look
Same here, Office 2003 is easier to get to the more useful features. I find the newer versions are dumbed down for people who just want to edit an exisiting documents.
Though I absolutely love Office 2003, I would not at all describe the newer versions as "dumbed down".

os2fan2
Donator

Post by os2fan2 »

There was an office-2000 that came out about the same time as windows 2000. I still use it.

The trick was to brand the OS and Office with the same name, so that people would use one with the other. 2000 is the last version that doesn't phone home.

johnye_pt

Post by johnye_pt »

I still use Office 2003 (branded after Server 2003?) and Office 2007, branded after... no Windows version, since XP was still hanging on when Office 2007 came out in October/November 2006, and Windows Vista would only be released the next year. If it had been released a few months later it could very well have been called Office Vista ;)
I used to be schizophrenic, but now we're cured.

x010
Staff

Post by x010 »

Unnecessary bump, nothing useful either.