Non bootable bin files (apple mac os 6.0.2-7.5.2 Greek Lang)

Discuss System 1 to System 7, OS 8, OS 9.

Neptruo314

Re: Non bootable bin files (apple mac os 6.0.2-7.5.2 Greek L

Post by Neptruo314 »

Try renaming it to .img. That might help.
Alternatively, try searching somewhere other than the database.
Image Media Center for Windows XP requires you to purchase MCE edition. Or alternatively just get an unofficial hybrid of Pro and MCE.

yksoft1

Post by yksoft1 »

Try use Stuffit Expander.
If Stuffit Expander extracts it to unbootable disk images, they are probably Disk Copy 6.x Compressed disk images or self-mounting disk images that cannot be stored in non-Mac filesystems. You will have to extract them in Classic Mac OS or Mac OS X.

trenoparathyra95

Post by trenoparathyra95 »

This program works for windows that I can find and how exactly do I export the files? i have a macbook air will it help to do it better than windows?

rbshep

Post by rbshep »

Use 'The Unarchiver' app or the macbinary command in the terminal to decode the BIN files back to plain disk image files.

https://macintoshgarden.org/forum/manag ... e-terminal

If they are a straight dump of the floppy disk, then Mini VMac should be fine with them once decoded.

I would suggest opening them in Disk Utility, but apparently modern macOS only supports HFS+ these days, not HFS. If they are MFS you're definitely out of luck mounting them on anything modern (I think 7.5.x was the last system to support this format).

ardweebno

Post by ardweebno »

rbshep wrote:Use 'The Unarchiver' app or the macbinary command in the terminal to decode the BIN files back to plain disk image files.

https://macintoshgarden.org/forum/manag ... e-terminal

If they are a straight dump of the floppy disk, then Mini VMac should be fine with them once decoded.

I would suggest opening them in Disk Utility, but apparently modern macOS only supports HFS+ these days, not HFS. If they are MFS you're definitely out of luck mounting them on anything modern (I think 7.5.x was the last system to support this format).

Actually, before we start trying the gamut of archiving apps, we probably just need to look at the files themselves. If you can grab one of those files and get them to a Linux or OS X machine which has the CLI tool "hexdump" loaded, you can quickly see what those files are. To figure this out, run this command:

hexdump -C yourfile.bin

This tells hexdump to read in the file and covert the output to ASCII character data, which makes it easy to spot resource strings in the binary file. BinHex and Macbinary files have very specific headers at the beginning of the file, which makes it very easy to spot the file type.

trenoparathyra95

Re: Non bootable bin files (apple mac os 6.0.2-7.5.2 Greek Lang)

Post by trenoparathyra95 »

Good morning we know some easy way where I can run these .bin files on Linux so I can see exactly what the files are and then decompress them or convert them to .img so that they can work with the vMac Mini?
I would please follow the instructions step by step because I am not that ancient.