Changing xp's bootscreen on an install disk?

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
alpha.burton

Changing xp's bootscreen on an install disk?

Post by alpha.burton »

how do i go about changing xp's bootscreen on an install disk? i want to use the older one with the green progress bar. plus what was the last version that used it and does anyone know where to find it?here is a pic of it,it was on the xp home version. i also will be using it on an xp sp3 disk if it makes a difference.

os2fan2
Donator

Re: Changing xp's bootscreen on an install disk?

Post by os2fan2 »

The boot screen is embedded in one of the kernel files (ntoskrnl.exe), and were unified with the SP. I suspect looking for a home-edition version from SP0 or prehaps SP1. Use something like reshacker to replace the one in the current version with this one.

This sort of info came out when the XP Pirate Edition logo came out.

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

os2fan2 wrote:The boot screen is embedded in one of the kernel files (ntoskrnl.exe), and were unified with the SP. I suspect looking for a home-edition version from SP0 or prehaps SP1. Use something like reshacker to replace the one in the current version with this one.

This sort of info came out when the XP Pirate Edition logo came out.
found a home edition sp0 on achive.org and got the "ntoskrnl.exe" file from it but when i pulled the bitmaps out with reshacker most are just black in color.which one is the green progess bar & where is the HOME EDITION or PROFESSIONAL EDITION version writing located?

im trying to mode a dell disk i have that i use to reload ect... for personal use :P

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 61&t=37436

The bitmaps lack a color table. You'll have to figure them out yourself probably by pulling the colors from another image and applying them to these.

EDIT: Since you probably don't know how, I've gone through and done it for you.

https://mega.nz/#F!yepj0CBa!d7-w_k4iufwvNNhIOkEXwA

Made in Photoshop.
The images are 4 bit indexed color bitmaps. To create, you would go to Image>Mode>Indexed Color
In the window's Palette dropdown, select custom. In that window select load, and pick the xpboot.act file I uploaded. This color table was based on the bootvid code Raritize posted. For some reason the rgb values are read backwards when put in photoshop, so they are brg values which Raritize neglected to say. I figured that one out when the colors were not the same as the table snapshot Raritize posted.

When you save the bitmap, save as, bmp, windows file format and 4 bit depth. There's no need to clear out the color table to be all black like MS made it. Just make sure you follow that color table because you are going to run into trouble if you don't.

I don't know what is the resource value for the individual texts in Xp, these bitmaps were pulled from WRK and XP ntoskrnl. Maybe the same? So you'll have to extract them all, apply the color table to figure out. Then you could probably swap them out with reshack.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

yourepicfailure wrote:https://www.betaarchive.com/forum/viewt ... 61&t=37436

The bitmaps lack a color table. You'll have to figure them out yourself probably by pulling the colors from another image and applying them to these.

EDIT: Since you probably don't know how, I've gone through and done it for you.

https://mega.nz/#F!yepj0CBa!d7-w_k4iufwvNNhIOkEXwA

Made in Photoshop.
The images are 4 bit indexed color bitmaps. To create, you would go to Image>Mode>Indexed Color
In the window's Palette dropdown, select custom. In that window select load, and pick the xpboot.act file I uploaded. This color table was based on the bootvid code Raritize posted. For some reason the rgb values are read backwards when put in photoshop, so they are brg values which Raritize neglected to say. I figured that one out when the colors were not the same as the table snapshot Raritize posted.

When you save the bitmap, save as, bmp, windows file format and 4 bit depth. There's no need to clear out the color table to be all black like MS made it. Just make sure you follow that color table because you are going to run into trouble if you don't.

I don't know what is the resource value for the individual texts in Xp, these bitmaps were pulled from WRK and XP ntoskrnl. Maybe the same? So you'll have to extract them all, apply the color table to figure out. Then you could probably swap them out with reshack.
i'm lost on this, here is my ntoskrnl.exe : https://mega.nz/#!HrJyRKSL!9EMWkqX3jQjx ... AyeQSIfzKA
could you look at it and see what you could do with it? any help would be very much appreciated.
would the same exe work in both pro & home edition showing there versions and color progress bars? just wandering

here is a link to the bitmaps pulled using reshacker : https://mega.nz/#!6zwnkIBK!WHpDaa8Imf2F ... oVwXFQadG4

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

The images were pulled from the kernel using reshack and copied from WRK which also served to help name them correctly. I used Raritize's posted information to "rebuild" the color tables for each of the bitmaps so they wouldn't be blank/black.

The instructions I posted are instructions on replicating what I did. Important for creating your own custom bitmaps especially with that color table.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

Visual917

Post by Visual917 »

I've wanted this for years. But how do you change a SP3 disk's boot screen completely? Do you just get the RTM, change the ntoskrnl.exe, and patch SP3 over it with nLite?

Designed for Microsoft Windows 98®