Windows Desktop Gadgets in Windows 8 build 8888.

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Moline

Windows Desktop Gadgets in Windows 8 build 8888.

Post by Moline »

I was reading about the Gadgets that were included in Vista and 7, and it said they were included in every Windows 8 beta build, which I would take to mean every build from the first known build to the final build of 8888 (the last beta before RTM). I knew they were included until very late into the development thanks to the wiki. So, in short, does anyone know if Windows 8 build 8888 has desktop gadgets? If so, this would indicate they were to be seen in the RTM of 8, but were cut when the huge security risk was found. Also, has anyone copied the Games that were included when the Windows 8 Beta moved to 6.2 (these are just the same ones from 7) to Windows 8 RTM and gotten them to run? I imagine they would since opening the about dialog from a game (e.g. Purble Place) reports the games as Version 6.2 and a copyright of 2011.

Applegame12345

Re: Windows Desktop Gadgets in Windows 8 build 8888.

Post by Applegame12345 »

Moline wrote:I was reading about the Gadgets that were included in Vista and 7, and it said they were included in every Windows 8 beta build, which I would take to mean every build from the first known build to the final build of 8888 (the last beta before RTM). I knew they were included until very late into the development thanks to the wiki. So, in short, does anyone know if Windows 8 build 8888 has desktop gadgets? If so, this would indicate they were to be seen in the RTM of 8, but were cut when the huge security risk was found. Also, has anyone copied the Games that were included when the Windows 8 Beta moved to 6.2 (these are just the same ones from 7) to Windows 8 RTM and gotten them to run? I imagine they would since opening the about dialog from a game (e.g. Purble Place) reports the games as Version 6.2 and a copyright of 2011.
Gadgets were axed off in 8438. The last build to include gadgets is 8432
>>click here<< for some wiki editing

Moline

Post by Moline »

The fact that they were axed so late in the development tells me that they had plans to keep them for Windows 8 but dropped them when the security risks became known.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

I think it became redundant when Microsoft announced Live Tiles, or at to Microsoft. I did like gadgets myself, so I used a third-party tool to re-add them in RTM of both 8 and 8.1.

Moline

Post by Moline »

gtgamer468 wrote:I think it became redundant when Microsoft announced Live Tiles, or at to Microsoft. I did like gadgets myself, so I used a third-party tool to re-add them in RTM of both 8 and 8.1.
That probably is the case. But I'm still convinced the security risks were the main reason for their axing. With Live Tiles, they are only available in the start screen, so they probably wanted to keep Gadgets in place so people wouldn't have to go to the start screen, but then the security risks ruined their plan. The main reason, I think, for why they kept them in so long is because of mainly the CPU monitor that came included. Many people probably used that, and so Microsoft decided to keep the gadgets in Windows 8 before they found out how dangerous they could become.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

Moline wrote:
gtgamer468 wrote:I think it became redundant when Microsoft announced Live Tiles, or at to Microsoft. I did like gadgets myself, so I used a third-party tool to re-add them in RTM of both 8 and 8.1.
But I'm still convinced the security risks were the main reason for their axing.
I wouldn't be surprised if the security risks (notably the bug that was announced in the summer of 2012, when MS first begun recommending disabling Gadgets) were only an excuse to finally get rid of the feature.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

Caveria

Post by Caveria »

Since around July 2012 we cannot download new gadgets for Windows Vista or 7 in Microsoft. Gadgets are included in almost all betas of Windows 8 expect of 8438, 8888 or 9200.

Moline

Post by Moline »

Caveria wrote:Since around July 2012 we cannot download new gadgets for Windows Vista or 7 in Microsoft. Gadgets are included in almost all betas of Windows 8 expect of 8438, 8888 or 9200.
I've noticed. Trying to do so leads to a page warning you about the security risks. This doesn't mean that you can't download third party gadgets, as long as those are safe. That makes sense with what I was reading on Wikipedia about the feature, and it further drives home the point that they were to still be included in 8. Who knows, if when 10 came about, if gadgets would have been axed in that release, assuming they weren't axed in Windows 8 and there was no security risk, like what happened.

Optimusprime2

Post by Optimusprime2 »

Moline wrote:
Caveria wrote:Since around July 2012 we cannot download new gadgets for Windows Vista or 7 in Microsoft. Gadgets are included in almost all betas of Windows 8 expect of 8438, 8888 or 9200.
as long as those are safe.
How do you know they are safe?

Maza

Post by Maza »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Moline wrote:
But I'm still convinced the security risks were the main reason for their axing.
I wouldn't be surprised if the security risks (notably the bug that was announced in the summer of 2012, when MS first begun recommending disabling Gadgets) were only an excuse to finally get rid of the feature.
Evidence suggests that the apparent security issues were merely a pretext and not a reason for the removal of the gadget platform (i.e., the real goal was to drive developers to the Store). Documentation from 2007 lists identical issues with gadgets—if recollection serves even on a word-for-word basis—but no recommendation of removal was warranted until a new development platform was created (and this not only approximately five years after security issues even with the native gadgets were discovered, but also after the release of Windows 7 where in advertising gadgets were given a new lease on life with features such as Aero Peek).
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

Moline wrote:Also, has anyone copied the Games that were included when the Windows 8 Beta moved to 6.2 (these are just the same ones from 7) to Windows 8 RTM and gotten them to run? I imagine they would since opening the about dialog from a game (e.g. Purble Place) reports the games as Version 6.2 and a copyright of 2011.
If you want Windows 7 games on Windows 8/8.1/10, why don't just try https://winaero.com/blog/get-windows-7- ... indows-10/ ?

ZhengXiaoAi

Post by ZhengXiaoAi »

Build 8888 is a Pre-RTM Build and it doesn't include any gadgets.
I apologize for my grammatical error if it exists, because English is not my primary language.
----------------------------------------
Nothing happen so far,'cause who wants to get burned by the ice? ------ Colder Than Ice by Grant Miller