how can i replace the explorer.exe on a windows xp disk

Discuss Windows 2000, NT, XP and Windows Server 2000, 2003, SBS 2003.
alpha.burton

how can i replace the explorer.exe on a windows xp disk

Post by alpha.burton »

how can i modify and replace the explorer.exe on a windows xp install disk? any help would be great

yourepicfailure
Donator

Re: how can i replace the explorer.exe on a windows xp disk

Post by yourepicfailure »

Delete explorer.ex_ and drop in the modified explorer.exe. Recompressing explorer into explorer.cab and then changing extension to .ex_ is optional.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

yourepicfailure wrote:Delete explorer.ex_ and drop in the modified explorer.exe. Recompressing explorer into explorer.cab and then changing extension to .ex_ is optional.
so i dont have to make it "explorer.ex_" when i add it back? all ive really done is add the old windows flag to the start button via changing the bitmaps.

yourepicfailure
Donator

Post by yourepicfailure »

The underscore extension indicates the binary was cab compressed. Recompression is optional. Adding the underscore extension to an uncompressed file will cause problems.

As long as you delete the compressed version, you'll be fine. If you don't, the underscore is alphanumerically before any other symbol in the extension and will be copied/extracted while the uncompressed will not.

TLDR again delete the compressed version and drop in the modded binary.
Don't pass it off as a "new" build.
"C makes it easy to shoot yourself in the foot; C++ makes it harder, but when you do it blows your whole leg off"
You will never tear me from the grasp of the Pentium M!

alpha.burton

Post by alpha.burton »

yourepicfailure wrote:The underscore extension indicates the binary was cab compressed. Recompression is optional.
As long as you delete the compressed version, you'll be fine. If you don't, the underscore is alphanumerically before any other symbol in the extension and will be copied/extracted while the uncompressed will not.

TLDR again delete the compressed version and drop in the modded binary.
Don't pass it off as a "new" build.
no intention of passing it off just wanna create a install disk with all updates and mods for myself.guess i should have been more clearer on my reasons to start with

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

https://mega.nz/#!FENHjSzY!wAyBro0ry0Vm ... sranCN9dCU

Something I made and used while modding Windows XP Starter Edition... Modify one of the scripts and you should be able to get a working file. It won't just work, you need to copy modified explorer.exe to that folder, edit the WINLOGON_EXE.BAT (replace winlogon with explorer) and run that script.