Quiz Show (Windows, unknown publisher/developer/year)

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
HeadsetGuy

Quiz Show (Windows, unknown publisher/developer/year)

Post by HeadsetGuy »

NOTE: This is not a request or an offer; I don't have a physical copy of this game, and I know very little about its development; I just need some help in finding this.

This was a game I played in school, simply called Quiz Show. I know there were at least two versions of it. I was in a group led by the school's social worker, and we used to play one version. Then she showed off the other version she had to a different group. Here's what I remember about it.

When you started the game, it would greet you with an obnoxious "WELCOME TO QUIZ SHOW!" and then ask you to sign in. I don't know if it was the logo or the sign-in screen, but there was an animated, bright, burning sun in the sky on the screen. It also played this catchy song that went, "Do you wanna play QUIZ SHOW? Do you wanna play QUIZ SHOW? I wanna play QUIZ SHOW! I wanna play QUIZ SHOW!", and had these instruments (I want to say accordions and maybe some kind of strings) in the background.

After every player signed in (at least 1, and I think up to 4), you were given a choice of categories. I can only remember three categories from the version I played (Family, School, and Situations), and none from the other version.

Each category had, if I'm not mistaken, 5 questions. I don't remember if each question was worth a set amount of points, or if you would wager the amount of points first separately from the question, but I do remember that the maximum amount of points you could wager was 9000. (Please, no Dragon Ball jokes.)

In the version I played, you were asked the question, shown an animation, and then asked "What would you do or say?", in that order. In the other version, you were asked what you would do or say before the animation. You were then given four choices. Of course, if you chose correctly, you would win the number of points you wagered, and if not, you would lose them.

The questions were always the same; there was no randomly-generated set of questions like you would find in Jeopardy! or You Don't Know Jack, or any other "contemporary" (read: "fun") quiz show games. The game ended once every question from every category was answered.

My questions: Has anyone else heard of this game? If so, would you have any idea who made it and when? I want to talk to the school's social worker, but I can't seem to find her contact information anywhere, and besides, it may seem awkward to just randomly ask her out of the blue if she remembers them and knows who made them. In any case, any help would be greatly appreciated!

-Johnny

HeadsetGuy

Re: Quiz Show (Windows, unknown publisher/developer/year)

Post by HeadsetGuy »

*sigh* Of course, after I post it, now I find out more about who made it...

Apparently, this was part of the "Quiz Show Pro" series by Boulden Publishing. Here's an archive of their website: https://web.archive.org/web/20000918085 ... QSCCDK.htm

The one screenshot that loads shows the exact logo I'm talking about. eBay produces no results for any of these games.

This is still not a request, but at least I know who made the thing now. Does anyone else remember these?

Oh, also, they're apparently still around.