How to make RO floppy drive when drive's sensor is broken

Tutorials for Operating Systems, Applications etc can be posted here.
wylda
Donator

How to make RO floppy drive when drive's sensor is broken

Post by wylda »

Official dumping guide recommends “write protect your floppies!”. When I finally bought 360KB floppy drive, first test revealed, that it reads 5.25" DD floppy correctly, but unfortunately its write protect sensor is broken, so it writes even to write protected floppies!

Because I can only clean drive's heads, I did not want to disassemble the 5.25” drive.

So I come up with an idea, how to make a read only drive again. So I modded PIN28 = Write Protect (signal /WPT) using a sticker and piece of wire.

If you have a better idea, please share ;)

Darkstar
Donator

Re: How to make RO floppy drive when drive's senzor is broke

Post by Darkstar »

So here's a better idea: How about a switch?
I upload stuff to archive.org from time to time. See here for everything that doesn't fit BA

wylda
Donator

Re: How to make RO floppy drive when drive's senzor is broke

Post by wylda »

All my ideas were just to fix write protection of that 5.25", that something like a switch did not come to my mind :$ I will put the switch at the back of PC and one switch will protect both drives A: and B: altogether. Vice versa, without a switch I could not even write to the B:

I was also told that I do not need to isolate the PIN28 on the floppy drive, as all the lines are "Open Collector", so direct grounding is OK. Again I didn't think about it till now, but wires 1,3,5,7,..,33 (odd) are all GND. And it happen to me few times, that I plugged floppy connector the opposite - i.e. effectively grounding all the signals. So again, I already test it, without knowing *hehe*