Windows Internet Games

Discuss Windows 95, 98 and ME.
xyz

Windows Internet Games

Post by xyz »

Since they were shut down yesterday, do you know if there is a way to make them work again? By manipulating hosts file and redirecting to other server?
Maybe some more intelligent guy than me figured out how these games communicated with the server?

VEG

Re: Windows Internet Games

Post by VEG »

It is possible to create a compatible server. I sniffed traffic of these games a bit, and it seems that it is unencrypted. So, if there was a fan of these games who was ready do spend enough time to reverse engineer the protocol, he would be able to create a compatible server. Now, when the servers are down and it is not possible to investigate the protocol analyzing packets in real time, it is much harder (like 10 times harder) to reverse engineer the protocol.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

VEG wrote:Now, when the servers are down and it is not possible to investigate the protocol analyzing packets in real time, it is much harder (like 10 times harder) to reverse engineer the protocol.
It's still very possible to reverse the game clients to see what responses they expect to what messages.
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

daemonspudguy
Donator
Location: Beverly, Ohio, USA, North America, Western Hemisphere, Earth, Milky Way, Universe, Multiverse

Post by daemonspudguy »

AlphaBeta wrote:
VEG wrote:Now, when the servers are down and it is not possible to investigate the protocol analyzing packets in real time, it is much harder (like 10 times harder) to reverse engineer the protocol.
It's still very possible to reverse the game clients to see what responses they expect to what messages.
I am 10 quintillion percent for this!

VEG

Post by VEG »

I know that it is possible, but it is just much harder without an ability to play with a real server. That's the point.

Raritize

Post by Raritize »

I'm working on porting the Internet games to Windows 10 currently, just as a small side project. I'll let you know if anything comes up.