Microsoft Internet Games Shutting Down on ME, XP, 7

Discuss any beta and abandonware games.
MrBurgerKing

Microsoft Internet Games Shutting Down on ME, XP, 7

Post by MrBurgerKing »

Microsoft announced that Internet Games will be shutting down on ME and XP on July 31, and 7 on January 22.
See https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/win ... PSmMUhfgSw

gtgamer468

Re: Microsoft Internet Games Shutting Down on ME, XP, 7

Post by gtgamer468 »

Watch, there will be a homebrew server just for the Internet games for Windows XP up to Windows 7.

Caveria

Post by Caveria »

Oh no! I play the internet games from Microsoft since 2010 and they're shutting down! I played them on Windows XP and Windows 7! :(

VEG

Post by VEG »

Hope, somebody will dump their traffic to reverse engineer the protocol in the future and to create a compatible server. Just to have an ability to use all services of Windows Me/XP/7 on retro systems, to create environment like it's 1999/2001/2009 today =)

EvanKTC

Post by EvanKTC »

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO :'(
Dell Inspiron 5379
Intel i5-8250U
8GB RAM
256GB SSD + 2TB External HDD
Two 1920x1080 monitors
Kubuntu 21.10

JimOlive
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Post by JimOlive »

VEG wrote:Hope, somebody will dump their traffic to reverse engineer the protocol in the future and to create a compatible server. Just to have an ability to use all services of Windows Me/XP/7 on retro systems, to create environment like it's 1999/2001/2009 today =)
Well, people were able to make custom servers for Mario Kart DS and Mario Kart Wii. A different beast, but I'm sure if somebody really wanted to, they could create a custom server for Microsoft Internet Games, with hacked versions of the software.

VEG

Post by VEG »

Probably, it would be enough just to add a new record into hosts file (with an IP of compatible server), so “hacking” of the games themselves won't be required.

VEG

Post by VEG »

BTW, what is the "MSN Go"? It seems that it is not preinstalled in Windows 7, and I can't find a video of it on youtube.

Zv45Beta
Donator

Post by Zv45Beta »

VEG wrote:Hope, somebody will dump their traffic to reverse engineer the protocol in the future and to create a compatible server. Just to have an ability to use all services of Windows Me/XP/7 on retro systems, to create environment like it's 1999/2001/2009 today =)
The same thing happened with MSN Messenger :D
Main computer: HP 820 G4 | i5-7500U | 16GB DDR4 | 256GB M.2 SATA SSD & 2TB 2.5" HDD | Linux Mint 21.3 Xfce
XP PC: ASUS P5QPL-AM | Xeon L5408 | 4GB DDR2-800 | 250GB 870 EVO SSD | ATi HD 6450 | XP SP4
9x PC: MSI MS-6368 v5 | Pentium III-S 1266 | 640MB PC133 | ATi 7000 PCI | 10GB HDD | WinMe
Other PCs: 2x EeePC 701 (1x spare, 1x XP SP3), HP 800 G2 DM (Win11 23H2), Wyse Cx0 (XP SP1a)
I collect Windows CE devices.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

gtgamer468 wrote:Watch, there will be a homebrew server just for the Internet games for Windows XP up to Windows 7.
Just like for club penguin.

Maza

Post by Maza »

This is unfortunate for players of those games. I would personally be more affected by the loss of the service to retrieve rich box art and game information for the Games Explorer in Windows Vista.
"We do not view the desktop as a mode, legacy or otherwise."
Windows Vista: Microsoft Speech Center | Windows Vista Saved Search chronicle

TheWindowsOtaku
Permanently Banned

Post by TheWindowsOtaku »

r.i.p

those were very good days.
TheWindowsOtaku!

Formerly WindowsLover2016
February 2017 - September 2018

TheRadeonCloud

Post by TheRadeonCloud »

Yes, it's a shame that Microsoft had to do this. We'll miss you, classic internet games...

Sim31

Post by Sim31 »

Ahh some good memories of playing these back then. This is like nostalgia hit, sad to see these services go but honestly I haven't touched these games in years, last time I believe was on Windows Vista.

I think they could of probably implemented these into Windows 10 and then take advantage of the xbox live services and put achievements into it with perhaps live chat and they could of revived/remastered these.

I tried looking up MSN Go and couldn't get no information, only thing it kept pointing towards to is the "MSN Gaming Zone", I remember playing a lot on that back then also, didn't even know it still existed. I could be wrong though and MSN Go might be something else.

techosarusrex

Post by techosarusrex »

I remember playing these games when coming home from school and also while playing I had Windows Live Messenger open talking to my classmates

Anima

Post by Anima »

Is it really taking up that much bandwidth? Hard to imagine it does, so why shut it down?
Anyway I hope someone will be able to port them for offline use.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

There's more to online services than just bandwidth. There's server upkeep, hardware, security, maintenance, code updating etc etc you need to factor in. And it's not worth it for services that doesn't cover the costs anymore.

If it were only about bandwidth then no one would ever need to shutdown an online server at all since it would be self-maintained.... doesn't work like that.
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP