BetaArchive Logo
Navigation Home Database Screenshots Gallery Image Uploader Server Info FTP Servers Wiki Forum RSS Feed Rules Please Donate
UP: 43d, 12h, 53m | CPU: 48% | MEM: 5448MB of 11421MB used
{The community for beta collectors}

PostPost subject: Windows 8.1 = LTSB?        Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 8:48 pm 

Favourite OS
Hello. While looking in the registry of Windows 8.1 I found "ltsb" in the BuildLab registry string.
So, could this mean that Windows 8.1 is the predecesor to Windows 10 LTSB/LTSC?
If you don't know what Windows 10 LTSB/LTSC is, it is a edition of Windows 10 without the Microsoft Store or any of the Metro apps.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 = LTSB?        Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:15 pm 

LTSB stands for long term support branch, lots of software distributions besides Windows have it. The purpose is to give uptime sensitive users more reliability and stability by only patching security flaws without feature updates.
What edition of 8.1 is this on?

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 = LTSB?        Posted: Fri Jul 12, 2019 10:07 pm 

Favourite OS
950C, 2195 USP5.1, 3790, 7600
Technically, all versions of Windows before 10 non-LTSB are LTS as they offered between 6-17 years of support.

But the real predecessor to LTSB/LTSC is probably Windows 7, which sees continued popularity in enterprise environments and lacks the Metro apps. These environments want something better than feature updates every six months that are basically OS upgrades that can break hardware/software support and reinstall previously-removed productivity-killing Candy Crush.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 = LTSB?        Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 3:51 pm 

Favourite OS
This is on Windows 8.1 Enterprise, on my other laptop with Windows 8.1 (with nothing after it) it is the same.
Here is the picture:
And here is another picture from my Windows 8.1 Enterprise:
The same is with BuildLabEx:
I'll also get a Windows 8 VM and check to see if it's there.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 = LTSB?        Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 5:11 pm 
Donator

Yes, all properly updated Windows 8.1 computers are going to say that, since most updates come from the winblue_ltsb lab (which was formerly winblue_gdr until some point after Windows 10 was released).

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 = LTSB?        Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:34 pm 

Favourite OS
AlphaBeta wrote:
Yes, all properly updated Windows 8.1 computers are going to say that, since most updates come from the winblue_ltsb lab (which was formerly winblue_gdr until some point after Windows 10 was released).

Thanks for explaining this, AlphaBeta. And about the VM: No, it is not there (obviously)

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 = LTSB?        Posted: Sat Jul 13, 2019 9:21 pm 
FTP Access

Favourite OS
Windows 1 DR5 to 10 build 9901
It's possible that Windows 8.1 was going to be the "Windows as a Service" or WaaS in short. Instead, with the backlash of Metro and Start for example, Microsoft decided to bring that in the next version of Windows, which happens to be Windows 10.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 = LTSB?        Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 2:57 am 

I guess this means they adopted the Main/LTSB branch structure with Windows 8.1, and already had Waas in mind.
gtgamer468 wrote:
It's possible that Windows 8.1 was going to be the "Windows as a Service" or WaaS in short. Instead, with the backlash of Metro and Start for example, Microsoft decided to bring that in the next version of Windows, which happens to be Windows 10.

They definitely considered it, I wonder what else made them hold back. Maybe forced, frequent, large updates that broke apps and destroyed performance just wasn't as popularized yet? I think iOS 7 is what ended up normalizing consumers to that idea, and caused them to expect 'changes' every year (even if they were for the worse).
Or maybe consumers were becoming more accustomed to the throwaway lifestyle popularized by smartphones. Many think that computers and smartphones 'getting slow' is just a fact of life, and their 2 year old laptop is 'obsolete' and needs to be replaced.
The later proliferation of "agile development" and other fast iterative development cycles in tech companies, or at least the desire to appear 'agile' to investors, also probably impacted the timing of their decision.

Top  Profile
 PostPost subject: Re: Windows 8.1 = LTSB?        Posted: Sun Jul 14, 2019 11:07 am 
Donator

Pretty sure Windows 10 was always supposed to be the WaaS release. Looking at BuildFeed data, "winblue_ltsb" wasn't even a thing until at least June 2015. Windows 8.1 went extraordinarily crazy with servicing lab names, beginning with "winblue_gdr", then going from "winblue_r2" to "winblue_r11" over the course of a few months and finally landing with "winblue_ltsb", so this looks more like an attempt to unify the terminology, since the old Windows release model is equivalent to the LTSC.

Top  Profile