Using an alterative to Alcohol 120% to dump software

Problem with the site? Got a suggestion? Got feedback? Post here and the staff will discuss it with you.
index_32

Using an alterative to Alcohol 120% to dump software

Post by index_32 »

I’m trying to prepare an .mds image with the portable verision of Alcohol 120% provided here but since I don’t have a DVD/CD device on my PC, the program won’t let me. Can we use any other software as UltraISO or Daemon Tools to dump software?

mrpijey
Administrator

Re: Using an alterative to Alcohol 120% to dump software

Post by mrpijey »

How can you dump software at all if you don't have an optical drive? So of course it won't let you as a _dumping_ tool requires you to have the device to _dump the data from_....
Official guidelines: Contribution Guidelines
Channels: Discord :: Twitter :: YouTube
Misc: Archived UUP

index_32

Post by index_32 »

mrpijey wrote:How can you dump software at all if you don't have an optical drive? So of course it won't let you as a _dumping_ tool requires you to have the device to _dump the data from_....
I might’ve understood it wrong then, sorry. Let’s suppose I have some files from a beta and I want to upload it to the FTP servers so I get access to it, don’t I have to create an .mdf image of my files first or can I just put it all on a .iso and upload it right away?

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

No, you create a MDF from a physical disc, not a set of files on a harddrive. Nor do you put it in a ISO unless it comes that way originally.

But I am guessing you want to apply for FTP access with this? If so then please read the guide on how to properly get a release done for upload.

index_32

Post by index_32 »

mrpijey wrote:No, you create a MDF from a physical disc, not a set of files on a harddrive. Nor do you put it in a ISO unless it comes that way originally.

But I am guessing you want to apply for FTP access with this? If so then please read the guide on how to properly get a release done for upload.
Uploaded the file and joined the FTP group, now waiting for approval. Thanks for clarifying things up for me.

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

index_32 wrote:
mrpijey wrote:How can you dump software at all if you don't have an optical drive? So of course it won't let you as a _dumping_ tool requires you to have the device to _dump the data from_....
I might’ve understood it wrong then, sorry. Let’s suppose I have some files from a beta and I want to upload it to the FTP servers so I get access to it, don’t I have to create an .mdf image of my files first or can I just put it all on a .iso and upload it right away?
Betas won't get you FTP access. Find and dump a retail title instead.

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

There are exceptions like a leak of a Win95 beta that’s not available anywhere in the web. Overdoze, a very large contributor to the FTP server, leaked a number of old Windows betas that weren’t made public.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

gtgamer468 wrote:There are exceptions like a leak of a Win95 beta that’s not available anywhere in the web. Overdoze, a very large contributor to the FTP server, leaked a number of old Windows betas that weren’t made public.
I got FTP access (twice) before the current rules were made, the builds I've uploaded didn't get me access.
All roads lead to Neptune™

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

gtgamer468

Post by gtgamer468 »

I never said that you got access to the server because of your contribution. Judging from the date you've joined, I knew the rule didn't exist then. However, that being said, I'm also saying that contributing rare betas not in the server yet will certainly be acceptable and can grant you access to the server.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

If it's an original dump according to the guidelines, yes. Which none of my beta uploads were, so I still don't see how they're relevant to the topic at hand.

At least I don't see where the guidelines would grant FTP access for non-original dumps of pre-release software. Unless mrpijey makes exceptions for that, but either way, you're still way more likely to find original abandonware media than an unleaked beta of anything.

KRNL386 - my site about retro computing | My site about Windows 1.0 | My blog | 86Box Manager | LeakDB - list of PC OS warez leaks

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

Original scan and dumps of betas won't do anything good got FTP access either. Read the guide and you will see ALL betas will not get you FTP access, no matter if it is a KF dump of Windows 1.0 DR1 with 600 dpi scan. BTW there is no such thing called exception.

Overdoze

Post by Overdoze »

ComputerHunter wrote:Original scan and dumps of betas won't do anything good got FTP access either. Read the guide and you will see ALL betas will not get you FTP access, no matter if it is a KF dump of Windows 1.0 DR1 with 600 dpi scan. BTW there is no such thing called exception.
Ah, you're right. I completely missed this part:
Special notice: Although we accept beta software on our FTP it's not acceptable as a FTP contribution title, for this only a copy of a retail title is acceptable.
So either way, mentioning betas in this topic was pretty pointless, as I said earlier.

mrpijey
Administrator

Post by mrpijey »

ComputerHunter, you have no idea what you're talking about. The rules are general rules, but there can be made exceptions if I allow it. If someone has something very special they want to offer then they could very well get FTP access for it, it all depends on what it is and the circumstances. It doesn't happen often, but it has happened. Rare Windows betas, a rare fully preserved game beta, some collector's edition of something... It has happened. If you think you have some very special, ask.. It's very simple.

Now, this thread is also not about getting FTP access through non-traditional methods, we have other threads already for this current line of discussion. The original question has been answered so this thread is done.

Locked.