Any hack to run VPC on Win10?

Discuss Windows Vista/Server 2008 to Windows 10.
Videogamer555

Any hack to run VPC on Win10?

Post by Videogamer555 »

Ever since Windows started supporting natively supporting virtual pc emulation (in the pro version of Windows) all versions of Windows stopped supporting the MS Virtual PC software itself. Yes, even home versions of Windows (that don't natively support virtual pc emulation) now won't let MS Virtual PC run. So if you are needing to run a virtual pc, and you have the home version of Win10, you seem to be just out of luck (and need to switch to something like Virtual Box instead). Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.

My best bet for running a Windows guest OS is trying to figure out a hack that will let me install the Microsoft Virtual PC software on Windows 10. Anybody here know how to do that?

windowsio
Donator

Re: Any hack to run VPC on Win10?

Post by windowsio »

Try this
http://www.win3x.org/win3board/viewtopic.php?t=19227

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Perkele

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

It might work on x86. It certainly doesn't work on x64, since it relies on an implementation detail that was broken during the development of Windows 10.
Videogamer555 wrote:Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.
That's a pretty poor argument. Do you think that computer vendors know how Windows works internally?

There are the VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows. Is that not enough optimization?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

AlphaBeta wrote:
Videogamer555 wrote:Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.
That's a pretty poor argument. Do you think that computer vendors know how Windows works internally?

There are the VirtualBox Guest Additions for Windows. Is that not enough optimization?
you should try them on windows 1.0 premiere edition *hehe*

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

MCpillager12 wrote:
AlphaBeta wrote:

you should try them on windows 1.0 premiere edition *hehe*
Did he say about the OS he need on VM? You seems repeated "you should try them on X"

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

i meant if op can use vbox guest additions on windows 1.0 pe.

LilShootDawg

Post by LilShootDawg »

MCpillager12 wrote:i meant if op can use vbox guest additions on windows 1.0 pe.
You wouldn't use VirtualBox for Windows 1.x-9x..

JimOlive
Location: Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada, North America, Earth, Solar System, Milky Way, Universe, Existence

Post by JimOlive »

LilShootDawg wrote:
MCpillager12 wrote:i meant if op can use vbox guest additions on windows 1.0 pe.
It's a joke.

louisw3

Post by louisw3 »

I've installed VMware player with XP, then installed virtual pc into that.
"Those who don't understand UNIX are condemned to reinvent it, poorly." – Henry Spencer

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

Offtopic Comment
louisw3 wrote:I've installed VMware player with XP, then installed virtual pc into that.
Does the mouse work well? I've tried this before but it always runs too fast within the vpc machine, even with the additions installed.

Lucas Brooks

Post by Lucas Brooks »

I have Windows 10 64-bit host and I did the same thing, the cursor is just too fast that it simply jumps from corner to corner.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

LilShootDawg wrote:
yea but some people would be stupid enough to do so :D

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

ComputerHunter wrote:I have Windows 10 64-bit host and I did the same thing, the cursor is just too fast that it simply jumps from corner to corner.
It is possible to avoid this but I unfortunately don't know how, over at BW BF10 installed several builds in VPC under Vbox.

MrBurgerKing

Post by MrBurgerKing »

At that point, would it make more sense to dual boot 10 and 7? If not full 7, maybe an embedded version?
For me, VMware was roughly comparable in terms of performance to hyperv, and faster then virtualpc. You should be fine with it.
You can also consider dual booting Linux and using KVM if you want performance closer to bare metal.
Side note, Virtual box 6 and up can supposedly run on the HyperV platform, which is included on all editions of 10 on 1809 and above. Unfortunately it seems to be slow and buggy at the moment.

Vova23

Post by Vova23 »

I can confirm VPC 2007 can work in Win 10 x86

computergoose

Post by computergoose »

Vova23 wrote:I can confirm VPC 2007 can work in Win 10 x86
That's what I've heard. I tried the VMM.SYS patch on Windows 8 and 8.1 x64, and that worked, but it does not work with 10 x64. The crux of the issue is that the Virtual Memory Manager (the aforementioned VMM.SYS) is incompatible with Windows 10 x64.

I'll have to try this myself. I have a PC at work that runs Windows 7 Professional x86 simply because HP could not be bothered to install the x64 edition. When I upgrade that to 10, I'll test it.

YueLing11

Post by YueLing11 »

Videogamer555 wrote:Ever since Windows started supporting natively supporting virtual pc emulation (in the pro version of Windows) all versions of Windows stopped supporting the MS Virtual PC software itself. Yes, even home versions of Windows (that don't natively support virtual pc emulation) now won't let MS Virtual PC run. So if you are needing to run a virtual pc, and you have the home version of Win10, you seem to be just out of luck (and need to switch to something like Virtual Box instead). Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.

My best bet for running a Windows guest OS is trying to figure out a hack that will let me install the Microsoft Virtual PC software on Windows 10. Anybody here know how to do that?
Why wouldn't you use VMware or VirtualBox for guest computers? It's faster than VPC! It's pretty good for running guest computers.
MrBurgerKing wrote:At that point, would it make more sense to dual boot 10 and 7? If not full 7, maybe an embedded version?
For me, VMware was roughly comparable in terms of performance to hyperv, and faster then virtualpc. You should be fine with it.
You can also consider dual booting Linux and using KVM if you want performance closer to bare metal.
Side note, Virtual box 6 and up can supposedly run on the HyperV platform, which is included on all editions of 10 on 1809 and above. Unfortunately it seems to be slow and buggy at the moment.

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN

Post by DVINTHEHOUSEMAN »

If you want to run VPC2k7 on your PC then install 7 or Vista on your PC, or add a second disk and install 7 onto it if you don’t have UEFI enabled.
DV
Go check me out on YouTube!

mrpijey wrote:Or someone slipped on a banana peel, fell backwards and accidently hit both the betaarchive.com and "DDoS Express" buttons at the same time.

SistemaRayoXP

Post by SistemaRayoXP »

YueLing11 wrote:Why wouldn't you use VMware or VirtualBox for guest computers? It's faster than VPC! It's pretty good for running guest computers.
There are many reasons to use VPC instead of VirtualBox or VMware. One of them is the performance & integration you get in 9x OSes. I'm aware that these hypervisors are also capable of running them, but VPC performs better.

I'm aware that emulators run 9x even better, with better support for graphics and such, yet emulators are slow compared to hypervisors. And this is specially notable in mid to low end hardware (common home PC hardware).
Please, don't be annoying with your answers.

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

YueLing11 wrote:
Videogamer555 wrote:Ever since Windows started supporting natively supporting virtual pc emulation (in the pro version of Windows) all versions of Windows stopped supporting the MS Virtual PC software itself. Yes, even home versions of Windows (that don't natively support virtual pc emulation) now won't let MS Virtual PC run. So if you are needing to run a virtual pc, and you have the home version of Win10, you seem to be just out of luck (and need to switch to something like Virtual Box instead). Problem with Virutal Box is it's made by Oracle, a company that has no internal knowledge of the Windows OS (only MS employees know really how Windows works internally), so it's not optimized for running Windows guest computers.

Why wouldn't you use VMware or VirtualBox for guest computers? It's faster than VPC! It's pretty good for running guest computers.
MrBurgerKing wrote:At that point, would it make more sense to dual boot 10 and 7? If not full 7, maybe an embedded version?
You should try a comparision; run Windows 98 on VirtualBox and VPC2007. I've done this before, and in my case, Win98 ran better on VPC2007 than VirtualBox.

VBox was on a Win10 v1709 x64 host, and driver support was near limited. But with VPC2007 on a WinVista Ultimate x64 host, guest was usable even without the VM additions.

AlphaBeta
Donator

Post by AlphaBeta »

MCpillager12 wrote:You should try a comparision; run Windows 98 on VirtualBox and VPC2007. I've done this before, and in my case, Win98 ran better on VPC2007 than VirtualBox.

VBox was on a Win10 v1709 x64 host, and driver support was near limited. But with VPC2007 on a WinVista Ultimate x64 host, guest was usable even without the VM additions.
A horse in a stable is slower than a car driving down a motorway. That's not the most objective comparison, is it?
AlphaBeta, stop brainwashing me immediately!

MCpillager12

Post by MCpillager12 »

DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:If you want to run VPC2k7 on your PC then install 7 or Vista on your PC, or add a second disk and install 7 onto it if you don’t have UEFI enabled.
You can also do that with 8.x (and 10 32-bit) by using a updated VMM.SYS from the Windows Phone 7.1.1 SDK. It just wont work on 10 64-bit.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

MCpillager12 wrote:
DVINTHEHOUSEMAN wrote:If you want to run VPC2k7 on your PC then install 7 or Vista on your PC, or add a second disk and install 7 onto it if you don’t have UEFI enabled.
You can also do that with 8.x (and 10 32-bit) by using a updated VMM.SYS from the Windows Phone 7.1.1 SDK. It just wont work on 10 64-bit.
Huh. That's a coincidence, the fact that Virtual PC can run on Windows 10 32-bit and not 64-bit... 8-)
VPC can run on Windows 7 and 8, but I don't think it does on Windows Vista. Or does it?

ATeamInc

Post by ATeamInc »

JonathonWyble wrote:VPC can run on Windows 7 and 8, but I don't think it does on Windows Vista. Or does it?
Virtual PC 2007 was made with Vista compatibility in mind and it still worked on 7 , despite MS's efforts to pull on the "Windows Virtual PC" thing (which is available via an update). 8 (and 8.1) breaked this compatibility, due to some changes in the OS, and attempting to start a VM would case a BSoD on 64-bit systems.

JonathonWyble

Post by JonathonWyble »

ATeamInc wrote:
JonathonWyble wrote:VPC can run on Windows 7 and 8, but I don't think it does on Windows Vista. Or does it?
Virtual PC 2007 was made with Vista compatibility in mind and it still worked on 7 , despite MS's efforts to pull on the "Windows Virtual PC" thing (which is available via an update). 8 (and 8.1) breaked this compatibility, due to some changes in the OS, and attempting to start a VM would case a BSoD on 64-bit systems.
I believe you are correct. I might have heard rumours say that Virtual PC can work on Windows Vista. However, they also said that it wasn't very certain, but it is.